2014 season is doomed unless…

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by subtle_gator, Apr 23, 2014.

1. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Great glimpse of the demise of our season last year, we all knew dissension was apparent but good to hear a sample from well respected Jonathan Harrison. Everyone is excited by Kurt Roper and the new offense and players now healthy but if leadership is not taken by actions on the field and veterans guiding the way then we have two options next season: falter like a sinking ship at the first sign of storm clouds or become stronger and more resilient than any other team in SEC built on a impenetrable rock of unity.

http://www.onlygators.com/04/23/2014/jonotthan-harrison-tells-tale-of-crumbling-florida-gators-locker-room-during-2013-season/

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/floridas-jonotthan-harrison-learns-from-experience-b99250437z1-256269111.html

Time to be great and show it’s about the name on the helmet and not the back of jersey, inspire the GW3, Thomas Holley’s, JC Jackson’s and other future Gators on who our program is and about: Time to make your mark, veteran leader roll call:

Jeff Driskel
    Mike Taylor
    Dante Fowler
    Max Garcia
    Jabari Gorman
    Quinton Dunbar
    Matt Jones

Let’s be great Gators!
  2. seabudgator

seabudgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Sad but good read. However, I do not think pointing at players to "be leaders" is anywhere near the complete solution. The level of disfunction and lack of discipline on the team last year can not purely be a reflection of the team not having senior leaders. For example, I think Harrison tried last year.

Our coaching staff apparently tolerated a level of chaos and disfunction (as evidenced by on field performance and off field actions described by Harrison) to exist. Not fostering/demanding leadership is, I believe, more a cultural issue than a player issue. I think since Meyer was a part time coach in 2010 our culture has been suspect. I hope it changes.

I do not intend this to bash our current or past coaches. I just wanted to clarify that, to me, this is not purely, or even mainly, a player issue.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    The same thing can happen again this year if the offense doesn't move the chains.
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    This is not primarily a player issue. Muschamp said one of the things he wanted to do when he got here was end the culture of entitlement. We're still having these problems 3 years later? Really?

While player leadership is important in preventing this behavior, it all starts at the top.

This just reinforces my opinion that the HC lost control of the team last year, and at a major college program like Florida, that is pretty bad.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I surely hope no one in any shape way or form believes that its ALL on the players for leadership but anyone who has played on any school team knows the importantance of your veteran peers that you look up to and respect to have bought into the program and be a strong positive voice. Coach aint out there when that LSU LB is staring you in your eyes before the snap or the off season workout when all you want to do is give-up. I believe the article is saying leadership is needed throughout the program and everyone has their role, This happens to be a highlight on player leadership focus and I hope our guys listed above take charge for the kind of turn around that is expected by all Gator fans.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,425
    The first link goes to a November 7, 2013 basketball article.....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    I am a HS coach in a different sport (non-revenue.) In my initial meeting with my AD he said the following
    "Everything you see is either taught or allowed." (Meaning what you see on the field.)

In other words- the buck stops with the coach. If a player is doing it- it's either taught or allowed. I know that doesn't reflect well on our current football coach- but it is what it is.

Our coaches set the tone and show the way. For a great example of what a team is supposed to look like witness our b-ball team under Billy. There is no doubt who is in control over that program. When that happens, high character guys like Pat Young flourish.

The question next year is whether Will has learned his lesson. I think he has. It takes a strong man to admit he's failed, to make changes, and to do things differently. I could be wrong but I think Will has learned that lesson. Losing will do that to you.

Here's hoping.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    As Captain of the Titanic er ah ship we know who's ultimately responsible.
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Leadership starts at the top. There is where the problem lies. Its really hard to believe we were a "dynasty" 5 years ago and are made fun of now. Meanwhile the coach who's culture is in question played in a BCS bowl last year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,026
    I sure hope that "The buck stops here!" THIS year. I mean, it couldn't hurt to try something new.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,296
    I love billy, but b-ball and football are very different animals,
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    I believe the new regime(Muschamp) arrived and tried some things that didn't quite work out. They let some key players transfer and then the team never came together as a group. Coach Muschamp better pull it together. I hope he does.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Ahem....... has anyone else noticed that there are a couple of coaches missing from last year's team? They are not gone JUST because their position players under performed.

Is it fixed? Foley believes so and he is not stupid. The rest of us will find out if he is right soon enough.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,049
    Well that was upbeat.

When's basketball season? :eek:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Of course they are, but coaching is coaching in any sport. Do you recall who Spurrier's coaching idol was? That coach's sport was not Football.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I don't know what WM allowed behind closed doors but I would have thought WM is a disciplinarian type coach because he has a defensive background and he yells at players who mess up on the sideline and he is from the NS coaching tree. I really like what Distant posted about "everything you see is either taught or allowed" that is really good, short and easy to remember and proves that coaching is coaching it really doesn't matter the level. That is another reason why I don't think any coach anywhere should be making more than $2 Mil a year. Give me a break.

My point is ....

I think WM might have allowed things/been a little soft behind the scenes. He might have tolerated things he should not have. I think he is a great coach so I hope he does get fired because if he survives I am pretty sure he is going to give FSU problems down the line.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,183
    A lot of our problem with the behind closed door feud between Pease and Davis being gone will help tremendously imo. It drug this entire offense and team down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    If you think it is bad now, just wait until the NCAA okays player compensation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    And has a good chance at being in the playoffs too.
  20. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Well.......Foley did hire those coaches, so we are just going to have to wait and see.