2014 recruits thread? Future Gators here.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BLING, Mar 31, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Sure, but why would you ever use the rankings of some individual site, when there is a website that has already provided you with a better composite ranking. And if you are going to use just one site, the disreputable ESPN is maybe the worst site to use on any subject. That goes for sports or anything else. They do not really cover sports, they push an agenda usually based on what ever they happen to be airing.

You are right he did jump up out of the blue in the rankings. Still to put him 6th, you are saying he is better than two of Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Gordon, Vonleh, C.Walker, Hill. I can not see it myself.
  2. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    He was really good at the Jordan Brand, but I agree, very raw.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Abu and Terrell top 10
    Spread the word

Big prospects from the class of 2014, power forward Abdul Malik Abu and shooting guard Jared Terrell, have had numerous suitors over the past year plus. During the busy recruiting periods, it seemed like they would both pick up offers from the top schools around the country every other day. Ed Cooley and his staff have been on both of these young men from the very start, and it has definitely paid off.

Tonight, each recruit announced their top 10 list of schools, with the Providence Friars making the cut in both cases. It has been rumored for quite some time that the Massachusetts natives and Expressions Elite (AAU) teammates would be a package deal, creating a fantastic inside / out combo for any recruiting class.

Here are their lists of schools (via @HoopdreamsMag)

Abdul Malik Abu

NC State

Florida

Kansas State

Miami

Kentucky

Iowa State

UConn

Providence

UCLA

St John’s

Jared Terrell

Florida

UConn

Cincinnati

Providence

Miami

OSU

St Johns

UCLA

URI

Xaiver

Interestingly enough, the only teams involved from the New Big East are the Friars, St. John’s, and Xavier (for Terrell only).

Spread the word
  4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Elite Eight for Winslow

Justise Winslow had cut his list to eight with another cut coming soon.
    While he wasn't pleased with the loss that his Houston Hoops team took on national TV on Thursday night, five-star Justise Winslow still had some big recruiting news that he was willing to share with attending media. After spending a lot of time discussing the situation with his family, the 6-foot-5 small forward from Houston (Texas) St. John's is down to just eight schools.

Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Texas A&M, UCLA and Stanford all made the cut for the No. 16 prospect in the 2014 Rivals150, with another cut down to just five schools on the horizon soon.

"I'll try and cut it to five in the fall so that I can determine which schools to officially visit," said Winslow. "I want to go ahead and sign in the early period if possible.

"I want to find a place where I'm comfortable. I need to be comfortable with the players, coaches, academics, just the whole experience."

Winslow didn't think that he played his best basketball on Thursday night, but the small forward was still a powerful and efficient wing scorer, tallying 18 points in the Hoops loss. Whether it was aggressive drives, transition dunks or on offensive rebounds, Winslow was a constant pressure against the E1T1 defense and drew double teams every time he got near the rim.

"I think that I can bring some of everything to the court," Winslow said in assessing his strengths. "Scoring, playmaking, defending, rebounding, I can do a lot of different things when I'm playing my best."
  5. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    It may have already been discussed but what do you guys think our chances are with Trey Lyles?
  6. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    ^^^^Not great. Most people believe it is between Louisville and UK. Donovan has been on him hard a long time though. I'd say 20% chance. He also mentions Butler in his top 4, and would like to stay close to home (He is a self admitted Momma's boy). That said, with Stevens leaving, I doubt they are in his top 2.
  7. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Michigan and Duke lead for 5-star forward Kevon Looney

Nick Baumgardner | nbaumgardner@mlive.com By Nick Baumgardner | nbaumgardner@mlive.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on July 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM, updated July 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Five-star 2014 forward Kevon Looney (right) reportedly still has Michigan toward the top of his list.

Now that John Beilein has a new contract, and his basketball coaching staff is staying put for at least one more season, the focus has been turned up on the 2014 recruiting class.

Beilein returned from his stint with Team USA at the World University Games in Russia and immediately hit the recruiting trail over the weekend.

He watched a host of 2014 targets in person, one being Milwaukee-area five-star forward Kevon Looney. Long believed to be a heavy lean toward Duke, Looney is apparently keeping Beilein and the Wolverines toward the top of his recruiting list as the summer grinds on.

"(S)ome pretty reliable local word in Milwaukee is Duke or Michigan for Kevon Looney," 247sports.com's Jerry Meyer tweeted last week. "Just what I'm hearing."

Looney, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound do-it-all forward -- and Rivals.com's No. 11-overall player in the 2014 class -- has had Michigan on his lengthy list of schools for some time. He reportedly hopes to have that list cut to five come Aug. 1.

From there, Looney wants to begin taking official visits and have a decision made before the start of his senior season at Milwaukee Hamilton High School.

“I want to pick a school that produces pros who have played my position,” Looney told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last week. “And I want a style of play that I can fit in, a balanced style that I can show my versatility.”

Looney's AAU coach, Shelby Parrish, told MLive in May that the five-star forward placed Michigan toward the top of his list due to the school's academics and his relationship with Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan.

And perhaps most importantly, due to the fact that Beilein took a player like Glenn Robinson III -- a forward with a similar skill set -- and turned him into a potential lottery choice in next year's NBA draft.

"He's definitely interested in Michigan," Parrish said at the time. "He likes Michigan's style of play, he likes coach Beilein -- he's very interested in him."
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Of the remaining 2014 targets attending the showcase in Las Vegas, Kevon Looney was one of the more intriguing draws. Looney had originally planed to cut his list of suitors to five schools July 5, but has yet to do so. ESPN Senior Recruiting Analyst Dave Telep reported Monday that Looney is now expected to cut his list to five by the end of the month.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Paul Biancardi ✔ @PaulBiancardi

Just received a call from @Loon_Rebel5
    who has officially cut his list to 6:
    Duke ,Florida ,Michigan State , Tennessee UCLA and Wisconsin

Retweeted by Andrew Spivey
  10. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Jerry Meyer's latest predictions have Abu and Terrell going to Providence as a package deal. Take it for what it's worth.
  11. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Another take it for what it's worth, but Jerry Meyer believes that Leron Black probably won't (or would be surprised) commit to Florida on his visit. He says that Memphis and Illinois are turning up the heat on Leron. Seems to be a three headed race with Florida and Memphis probably slightly in front.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    That Meyer update on Black is about 8 days old, so things might have changed by now, I don't know.
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Player
    Comp. Rating
    Prediction %
    Leron Black
    Leron BlackSee all 12 predictions
    91% UF
    17 Schools

Brandone Francis
    Brandone FrancisSee all 13 predictions
    100% UF
    Florida

Chris Chiozza
    Chris ChiozzaSee all 13 predictions
    100% UF
    Florida

Abdul Malik Abu
    Abdul Malik AbuSee all 5 predictions
    20% UF
    30 Schools

Riley Norris
    Riley NorrisSee all 3 predictions
    66% UF
    26 Schools
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  14. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
  15. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    "Michigan State, I've built a great relationship with coach Fife and Coach Izzo," "It's a great school." - Kevon Looney said
    9h ago
  16. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Jerry Meyer of 247Sports is now predicting that 2014 PF Leron Black will commit to Illinois: https://t.co/jJgolFrhFj #illini
    6h ago
  17. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Terry Larrier Cuts to 10
    August 8th, 2013 7:23 am
    Terry Larrier, the Team Scan small forward whose stock exploded in July, has cut his list to 10 schools.

The 6-foot-8 Larrier is now considering Penn State, Marquette, Minnesota, UConn, Florida State, Miami, St. John’s, VCU, Florida and Seton Hall.

Larrier, a New York native who attends the Malvern (Pa.) Phelps School, will visit St. John’s and UConn in August, but no dates have been set, his AAU coach, Terrance “Munch” Williams told SNY.tv.

Wherever Larrier lands, Williams believes they will be getting a rising star. He’s currently the No. 38 player in the Class of 2014, per Rivals.

“He’s going to be an extremely versatile kid,” Williams said. “He’s going to be able to play the two, three and the four in college once he bulks up at the four. I think he’s going to be a team-first kid that likes to win and enjoys that process. He’s going to be a guy that gets better every year in college, until hopefully he goes and plays at the next level.”
  18. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    According to Abu and Terrell's coach, they are going to announce together in early September.

Expressions Elite coach Tyron Boswell confirmed that the two players would announce their college choices together at a press conference in Boston in “the first two weeks in September.”
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    I know you guys remember BJ Taylor, a fallback option at point guard:

TAYLOR TO UCF

B.J. Taylor, a 6-2 point guard from Orlando (FL) Boone, committed to UCF.

“Excited to say I have COMMITTED to play college basketball for the UCF KNIGHTS!!! All the glory to God Almighty!!! #GoKnights,” he Tweeted.

He also reportedly considered Miami and Lehigh.
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    We are out of the race for Angel Delgado (never had much of a chance anyway):

ReggieRankin Reggie Rankin
    RT @Hoopniks: RT @NYLightning1: New York lightning Angel Delgado top 5 are Kentucky ,Seton hall, virgina , florida state and fordham.