2014 recruits thread? Future Gators here.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BLING, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
  2. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    There is no doubt in my mind that the player with the best motor at LeBron camp was Delgado. He played harder the last game of the event than half of the kids did in their first game out. After leading the Nike EYBL in rebounding this spring, he rolled up his sleeves and went to work here.

A native of the Dominican Republic, Delgado hasn’t seen his mother in three years. “She went to Argentina to work,” Delgado said. “I play hard for her.”

When Delgado first came to the United States, his coach told him to rebound and put back shots. He’s proved to be a good listener, and now he’s beginning to add to what has previously been a relatively simplistic game. Delgado could be seen knocking down a mid-range shot and tossing in a hook at LeBron camp. Little by little, the offensive light bulb is flickering.

There’s a school of thought among some college programs recruiting him that he’s waiting on Kentucky to offer. He likes the Wildcats, there’s no doubt about that. Louisville, Florida, Miami, Georgetown, Kansas, St. John’s, Dayton, Virginia and Florida State also garnered mention. This much I know: He could play for anybody because rebounding translates.

Abu seeks answers and truth

Spend a few minutes with ESPN 100 power forward Abdul-Malik Abu (Boston/Kimball Union Academy) and you’ll come away impressed. Few kids in the 2014 class have the ability to analyze their own strengths and weaknesses like he does.

“I love camps like this because you get to see where you stand,” Abu said. “I feel like I played well. I’d rather die than get outworked.”

Working hard is a staple in Abu’s game -- it’s in his DNA. When it comes time to make a college decision, expect him to remove the name on the front of the jersey from consideration and make a choice based on the best fit for him. He knows everyone looks at his list and assumes he’s bound for the biggest name. That’s why he makes it a point to not count out Iowa State, Wisconsin or Kansas State.

With that said, Kentucky is beginning to peek his way. Kansas, Florida, Connecticut, Providence and NC State are also in the mix. “I need a detailed plan,” Abu said. He can handle the truth, and that’s what he wants to hear during the recruiting process.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    This is not good. Doesn't look like Chiozza is having much influence. Maybe Donovan knows we have no shot at Black so he is giving up. It's weird that Florida wasn't mentioned at all in this article:

Memphis forward Leron Black feeling a sweet spot for Indiana, Lousiville

LAS VEGAS — Five-star Memphis forward Leron Black said Saturday night at the LeBron James Skills Academy that Indiana University and the University of Louisville are two of the schools recruiting him the hardest.

Black, who at 6 feet 7, 217 pounds can play either forward position, said he spoke with U of L coach Rick Pitino on Thursday for the first time and has been exchanging text messages regularly with IU coach Tom Crean since arriving in Las Vegas.

Black said he is getting the most contact from Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Connecticut, Tennessee and Memphis. He is unsure which official visits he’ll make, but plans to commit in the fall.

Ranked No. 22 in the nation for 2014 by Rivals.com, he has been a target for Crean since he withdrew a commitment to Baylor.

“I like them a lot, and I like the way they play,” Black said of the Hoosiers. “I watched them a lot this year. I loved watching them play this year. I had them winning it all, but you know how that goes. I like the coaching staff over there. ... It ain’t too far (from home) either.”

Black said he feels IU has made him a priority.

“I’ve already talked to the strength coach. I’ve talked to the academic counselor about my grades,” he said. “I talk to them a lot. I feel like I’d be a big part of the team if I was to go there.”

As for the Cardinals, Black said they’ve ramped up their contact in the past few weeks.

He spoke with U of L assistant coach Wyking Jones on the phone last month, and he regularly exchanges text messages with Chris Jones, a junior college transfer with the Cardinals who is also from Memphis.

He got a call from Pitino on Thursday.

“I didn’t know who it was when I looked at my phone, and (caller ID) said Kentucky,” he said. “So I said, ‘I guess I’m going to answer it.’ He said, ‘Hello, this is Rick Pitino.’ I said, ‘Woo.’ It kind of shocked me. I was excited about it, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity.”

Black said he’ll probably visit Louisville at some point.
    (Page 2 of 2)

U of L invited him to watch a practice one day last week, but he was unable to make it because his father had to work that day. He ended up speaking with Pitino the day before he left for Las Vegas.

“He was real cool,” Black said. “He was telling me how they’re losing spots and how I could come in and play a lot.”

Black said at last month’s NBPA Top 100 camp in Charlottesville, Va., that his versatility makes him an effective player.

“I’m a good slasher,” he said at the Top 100 camp. “I can rebound. ... I can post up, and can come out and grab (the ball) off the wing and knock down shots.”

He said Saturday night that Louisville is recruiting him to play power forward.

“They’re losing their four man, so they’re saying I could come in and play at the four because that’s what they’re recruiting right now,” Black said.

The Cardinals’ Chane Behanan will be a junior in the fall and could be a candidate for the NBA draft. The same goes for Montrezl Harrell, who will be a sophomore.

Black said he could envision a role similar to Behanan’s.

“That’s what I was thinking about because I love the way they run,” Black said. “I defend a lot, so I love defense. I think I’d fit in well.”

Alexander's road

Five-star Chicago big man Cliff Alexander, who has U of L, IU and Kentucky in his final 10, mentioned Louisville, Kansas, Arizona and Memphis as schools he wants to officially visit.

“I love Louisville,” he said. “Coach Pitino is a great guy.”

He said UK and Michigan State — two schools long thought to be well-positioned with Alexander — were not included on his list because he has visited both campuses unofficially and wants to see new places. He said it’s not a sign of any decreased interest in either team and that he has no favorites at this point.

“Coach (John Calipari) has been recruiting since last year when they first offered me,” Alexander said. “I love him. He’s a great guy.”

Alexander said Calipari talks or texts him about three times a week “and tells me he wants to coach me.”

Alexander said he feels like a big priority for the Wildcats and thinks a frontcourt of him and five-star center Karl Towns, who has already committed, would work well.

As for IU, Alexander said the Hoosiers have been “recruiting me since I don’t know how long,” with Crean's staff saying, “I’m a priority and they’d turn me into like a Cody Zeller.”
  4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    My mock class before reading this article was Chiozza, Francis, Black, Abu, and Looney (longshot with izzo turning up the heat I know).

My new mock class is Chiozza, Francis, Price-Martin, Abu and Looney, although it may turn into Chiozza, Francis, Price-Martin, Abu and Haas.
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Maybe we could sway Angel Delgado. I'm thinking Riley Norris would be a back up plan at the 3, if we strike out on everyone else.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  6. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I think most people view Looney as likely to go to Duke. I think a class with:

PG: Chiozza
    SG: Francis
    SF: Norris
    PF: Abu
    C: Price-Martin

would be great. I would be fine with Black instead of Abu, but Black is a little undersized. The key is that UF needs bigs now. As of today the 2014-15 roster would be:

PG: Hill, Chiozza
    SG: Frazier, Graham, Carter, Francis
    SF: Finney-Smith, D.Walker
    PF: C.Walker
    C: Harris

That is if C.Walker makes it to UF and stays a second year. So UF must have two or three bigs in its class this year.
  7. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    From what I have gathered Insti, I think your prediction of Chiozza, Francis, Norris, Abu and Martin seem to be the best bet. Martin is really favoring USCw, and Abu is just really beginning to get a lot of attention. Norris isn't even that sure of a deal, with Vandy coming on hard and UNC talking to him. It's possible we strike out on bigs all together again this year. Lyles, Looney and Delgado seem like pipe dreams. Maybe a transfer will come along. I wish we could have gotten Embiid last year. I felt like we never really turned up the heat. If think if Donovan had wanted Embiid, he could have overridden the influence M'Ba-Moute had on him.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Also, Donlucia.... Francis seems to be tearing it up at the adidas invitational. Any way you could get us some information on that new espn article. Maybe a summary.

Could have a five star on our hands before long.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I seriously doubt that we could have gotten Embiid or any other top-shelf big in the 2013 recruiting class. Highly sought after bigs would not have wanted to come in and play behind Young, Harris, Walker, Yeguette and, possibly, Prather and Dodo this season.
  11. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Embiid was not a top shelf big at the time. He was a big goofy kid just learning how to play basketball. He went from nowhere around the top 100, up to #6 in the nation in the final rankings.
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I seriously doubt that we could have gotten Embiid. These kids don't want to sit on the bench for a few years. On top of that, Embiid had no particular affiliation with the Gator program.
  13. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Brandone Francis (Jacksonville/Arlington Country Day)
    2014, SG/SF, 6-5, 205
    Francis’ game is a rare combination of power and finesse, and he uses both to be a very productive player. With the ball in his hands, he gets to his scoring spots or can make the assist with his improving vision. His jumper is accurate and has range out to the 3-point line and his midrange game is even better. In the pick-and-roll game, Francis comes off ball screens and creates separation to score or distribute.

As a small forward, he operates on the interior after receiving diagonal passes or via cross screens. His sweet spot is the left block, and due to his strong frame and size, he punishes like-size or smaller defenders with ease. Francis approaches the game with a next-play mentality, meaning he doesn't let the last play -- good or bad -- impact the next possession.
  14. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Editor's note: This is the latest entry in Dave Telep's July Road Trip blog. Throughout the month, Dave will check in each day he's on the road while covering some of the biggest basketball recruiting events in the country. He'll let you know where he's at, offer some highlights of the day and give a quick look at what's next.

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Thirty minutes before the start of the second session at the Nike Peach Jam on Thursday, the rains came. And it rained. And rained harder. And kept raining and then rained some more. A torrential downpour gave the event a new perspective.

Watching assistant coaches sprint to the gym so they wouldn’t be late to a game was kind of fun. Without any scholarships to give out, the best seat in the house for me was in the car until there was a letup in the downpour.

Sandwiched around the rain, however, there was some great action on the court and a who's who of big-time college coaches on hand to watch. Here are some nuggets from the first official day of the Nike EYBL finals at the Peach Jam.

[+] Enlarge
    Dave Telep/ESPN
    ESPN 100 PF Paul White put on a show in front of coaches from Florida, Memphis, Wisconsin, UConn, Michigan State and Illinois.
    White turns in one of his best days of the summer

Stretch 4-man Paul White (Chicago/Whitney Young) is one of those guys coaches like but certainly wanted to see more in terms of production. On Thursday, the production wasn’t a problem.

Florida’s Billy Donovan, Memphis’ Josh Pastner, Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan, UConn’s Kevin Ollie, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Illinois’ John Groce were courtside for what had to be White’s best game of the summer as the ESPN 100 forward went for 22 points and 11 rebounds.

The reason for White’s success was his mixture between perimeter and paint. Midway through the first half, he was called for a charge on a drive to the hoop. Immediately following, he changed up his strategy. The strength of his game is his skill, not his strength. So instead of trying to get all the way to the rim, he started shooting pull-ups in the paint. It opened things up in the lane and empowered his perimeter confidence. It was about as good a cocktail of skill and smarts as I’ve seen him string together in a year.

After the game, White said Georgetown and Arizona were likely to lock in official visits.

In a related note, White’s AAU teammate, Tyler Ulis (Matteson, Ill./Marian Catholic), is good and the ESPN 100 point guard continues his ascension. He’s too tough, too smart and too good a passer. When it counted -- late in the game -- it was showtime for Ulis.

Johnson was big time in loss

Tennessee Travelers 2015 point guard James Bolden (Covington, Ky./Holmes) ruined the Oakland Soldiers evening. Bolden darted down the court for the game-tying layup to get the contest into overtime. Once in OT, he stroked the game-winning jump shot. Bolden’s personal fireworks overshadowed an outstanding individual effort by in defeat by ESPN 100 small forward Stanley Johnson (Fullerton, Calif./Mater Dei), who had 28 points and 11 rebounds.

The deal with Johnson is that his game has exploded from an athletic and skill standpoint. As a freshman, I recall him being locked into the perimeter. Now he’s a complete player. He has great size yet routinely bursts by defenders and has worked on his handle. Johnson is an extremely important piece in the 2014 recruiting puzzle and a guy worth fighting for.

UCLA’s Steve Alford, Kentucky’s John Calipari, USC’s Andy Enfield and Arizona’s Sean Miller were courtside for his game.
  15. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Not much chance here, but:

Five-star Big Man Cliff Alexander Adds Florida to His List

July 18, 2013 · by Drew Laing · in Basketball Recruiting, Class of 2014, Florida Gators. ·

The Florida Gators basketball program received some unexpected good news on Thursday afternoon in the form of a tweet.

Currie (Ill.) five-star forward Cliff Alexander made a late addition to the list of schools he considering.

“Adding Florida to my list,” Alexander tweeted from his @humblekid11 account.

Last week at the Peach Jam, Alexander lived up to his billing as one of the top class of 2014 prospects in the country. The 6-foot-9, 240-pound big man averaged 14.5 points and 9.6 rebounds throughout the tournament and dominated in several areas of the game, including his jump shots.

“I was in the gym 24/7 working on that,” Alexander said in an interview with Jeff Borzello of CBS Sports. “My high school coach said that’s what I have to do if I want to play at the next level. That baseline jumper. So that’s what I’ve been working on.”

Earlier in the year, Alexander narrowed his list to 10 schools, but expressed at the Peach Jam he wanted to take official visits to Kansas, Memphis, Louisville and Arizona.

Although he hadn’t decided on where to take his fifth and final visit, Alexander’s inclusion of Florida in the discussion should give the Gators a great shot at earning the final spot.

Don’t expect this recruitment to be over soon, Florida fans. Alexander has no plans on making a decision anytime soon.
  16. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I suspect that Okafor is giving UF a closer look now to whether he says anything about it or not. UF has lots of minutes for bigs next year and Okafor knows Donovan better than any other college coach now.
  17. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    He did play with kasey hill the year before he transfered.
  18. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Thats great news on Alexander during the Hampton EYBL I watched most of his games rocking all my Gator gear.
  19. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Make that tied for 16th, still a huge rise:

http://www.rscihoops.com/
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37