2014 recruits thread? Future Gators here.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BLING, Mar 31, 2013.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Frazier averaged 30 ppg in his junior year and around 17 ppg in his senior year. He went from being a player who could score off the dribble to a player who scored when he got open jump shots. I am not surprised that his stock dropped.
  2. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    The school list for 2014 guard Brandone Francis (Jacksonville, Fla./Arlington Country day) will expand before it contracts, but in my opinion, one program will factor prominently: Florida. The young man was fired up about the Gators in April and they offered him shortly after a superb effort at the adidas VIP Exclusive Run.

Earlier this week, however, Billy Donovan accepted a commitment from 2014 point man Chris Chiozza (Memphis, Tenn./White Station). No worries, though. When contacted this week, Francis said the Gators have different plans for he and Chiozza and see them as complementary players.

You’ll hear a lot of teams mentioned with Francis. Miami offered and is in the mix. Louisville, which hired assistant Mike Balado formerly of FIU, will also give chase. Balado has ties to the Dominican, specifically Francis. These are only a smattering of the schools, but they should be in it for the long haul.

Abdul-Malik Abu is a mouthful with a motor

Hard-playing junior power forward Abdul-Malik Abu (Boston/Kimball Union) said he’s going to take a few visits. The one spot the ESPN 60 prospect is definitely visiting is Florida. Providence, Miami, UConn, NC State and Kansas are programs he indicated were also coming strong through the spring.

Abdul-Malik Abu is a mouthful with a motor

Hard-playing junior power forward Abdul-Malik Abu (Boston/Kimball Union) said he’s going to take a few visits. The one spot the ESPN 60 prospect is definitely visiting is Florida. Providence, Miami, UConn, NC State and Kansas are programs he indicated were also coming strong through the spring.
  3. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanley Johnson | @StanMan_41 | Junior
    Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei | SF | 6-6/220 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 15

Previous BlueChipBattles rank: Unranked

Who wants him? Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Duke, USC and UCLA

Front-runners: Arizona and Kentucky

Dark horse: USC

@JoelFranESPN with the buzz: After a less than spectacular performance at the first session of the Nike EYBL, Johnson drew rave reviews for his bounce-back effort in Virginia. On the recruiting trail, Arizona has always been out front for Johnson's signature. However, he loves the limelight and with a recent offer from Kentucky, things just got that much more interesting. From those close to the situation, he is a prospect who is opposed to rebuilding projects and would much rather join a national championship contender, so it looks like Sean Miller and John Calipari are involved in a tug-a-war for Johnson.

Also look out for USC as new coach Andy Enfield's staff includes former Syracuse guard Jason Hart and West Coast recruiting ace Tony Bland. Could the Trojans sneak in at the end and keep Johnson in Cali?

RecruitingNation ranks Johnson's recruitment as the No. 9 battle in the country. Tweet us your opinion using the hashtag #BlueChipBattles @RecruitingESPN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rashad Vaughn | @ShowtimeMr | Junior
    Minneapolis (Minn.) Robbinsdale Cooper | SG | 6-6/200 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 9

Previous BlueChipBattles rank: No. 5

Who wants him? UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, Florida, Baylor, Minnesota, Georgetown, Iowa State, among others

Front-runners: UNC, Kentucky and Florida

Dark horse: Minnesota and Iowa State

@ReggieRankin with the buzz: The Tar Heels have been in hot pursuit of the nation's top-rated junior SG, but so too have the hometown Golden Gophers and new coach Richard Pitino. In recent weeks, coaches from Kentucky and Iowa State have had a huge presence at Vaughn's AAU games as well. It doesn't look like Minnesota or Iowa State will go away quietly despite being in an uphill battle against several perennial top 25 clubs.

Here's what Vaughn had to say about the schools that have stood out to him most thus far this spring.

"North Carolina, Kentucky and Iowa State are (the schools) I have noticed the most at the games," Vaughn said. "Especially North Carolina. I am looking to maybe narrow my list before the (July Nike) Peach Jam."

RecruitingNation ranks Vaughn's recruitment as the No. 8 battle in the country. Tweet us your opinion using the hashtag #BlueChipBattles @RecruitingESPN.

Devin Booker | @DevinBook | Junior
    Moss Point (Miss.) High School | SG | 6-5/185 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 19

Previous BlueChipBattles rank: No. 6

Who wants him? Michigan, Michigan State, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Florida, Baylor, Alabama and Missouri

Front-runners: This one is tough to call right now

Dark horse: Kentucky

@DaveTelep with the buzz: The situation is this: His mom lives in Michigan (hence the Spartans and Wolverines), his dad lives in Mississippi (see Mississippi State) and his father played at Mizzou (enter the Tigers). Then there's the Tobacco Road angle as Duke and UNC had him on campus during the NCAA season. Kentucky is the latest big-name school to offer him and it is looking to turn up the heat in pursuing Booker, while Michigan State can try to sell him on teaming up with the potential Jahlil Okafor/Tyus Jones package deal.

RecruitingNation ranks Booker's recruitment as the No. 7 battle in the country. Tweet us your opinion using the hashtag #BlueChipBattles @RecruitingESPN.

Trey Lyles | @TreyMambaLyles | Junior
    Indianapolis Arsenal Tech | PF | 6-8/210 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 4

Previous BlueChipBattles rank: Unranked

Who wants him? Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, UCLA, Butler and Florida

Front-runners: Four-way tie between Kentucky, Louisville, Duke and Florida

Dark horse: Butler

@john_stovall with the buzz: Lyles returned to the court this past weekend for the first time since injuring his knee in March at the end of the high school season. The productive 4 man started off a little rusty, but improved significantly as the weekend progressed. New UCLA coach Steve Alford is an Indiana native so he is making a real push to bring Lyles to Bruins country, but Kentucky has to be considered his leader tight now. This race is far from over. Stay tuned!

IM BAAAACCCCKKKK=

— Trey Lyles* (@TreyMambaLyles) May 4, 2013

RecruitingNation ranks Lyles' recruitment as the No. 6 battle in the country. Tweet us your opinion using the hashtag #BlueChipBattles @RecruitingESPN.

Kevon Looney | @Loon_Rebel5 | Junior
    Milwaukee Hamilton | PF | 6-8/190 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 7

Previous BlueChipBattles rank: No. 8

Who wants him? Duke, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Marquette, Maryland, Georgetown, Louisville and several others

Front-runner: Duke, Florida and Michigan

Dark horse: Wisconsin

@ReggieRankin with the buzz: Looney recently stated how much Coach K made him feel wanted by the Blue Devils and that, along with his parents' admiration for the program, may ultimately result in one of his five official visits being made to Durham. Fresh off a national championship game appearance, Michigan has serious appeal to Looney in terms of its style of play and its recent success with wings Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glenn Robinson III. So I think the Blue Devils and Wolverines might be at the top of his official visit list along with the Florida Gators.
  4. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    If you haven’t heard of Brandone Francis, get used to the name.

The 6-foot-5, 205-pound junior combo guard from Jacksonville (Fla.) Arlington Country Day has catapulted himself from a 3-star recruit to a borderline 5-star recruit in the past couple months.

Francis’ coach, Rex Morgan, feels that Francis’ health has been a key to his recent emergence.

“He broke his wrist last year, hurt his knee this year and got sidelined with the flu for a little bit,” Morgan told SNY.tv. “Now he’s gotten healthier, started to knock down shots with more confidence, and now he’s in the best shape of his life.”

A native of the Dominican Republic, Francis admits that the transition to America wasn’t the easiest for him.

“You don’t even know how hard it was on me.” Francis said. “To be honest, I thought I was an alright basketball player. But I came here and saw all of these great players, I saw how the game went with all of the speed, and how they played. It was very tough at first. But after a while, I got used to it and now I get it.”

Most recently, Francis competed down in Miami at Adidas Nations, with some of the best players in the country in the classes of 2014-2016, a cast of which included Trey Lyles, Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander and Emmanuel Mudiay.

“It was fun, a lot of fun,” Francis said. “It’s unbelievable to go at it against the best players in high school and I think I learned a lot. When you go to those camps, everyone wants to stand out, and I just did my best to do my job.”

Francis currently holds offers from Indiana, Florida, Washington, UConn, Miami, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Florida State, Louisville, Minnesota, Illinois, St. John’s USC, Oklahoma State and South Carolina.

He lists UConn, Florida, Illinois, Louisville and West Virginia as the schools that are going after him the hardest, but he insists that he doesn’t have any favorites.

Francis doesn’t let any of the mounting pressure get to him.

“People always have something to say, but I just try to have fun, and prove myself when I’m on the court.”
  5. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Isaiah Briscoe, the talented sophomore combo guard from Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict’s Prep, has picked up offers from Indiana and Ohio State, his father told SNY.tv.

The 6-foot-3 Briscoe is the Rivals No. 16 player in the Class of 2015 and has been consistently recruited by Syracuse, Arizona and Florida, among others.

“With Ohio state and Indiana, me personally it’s an honor to hear from both of them,” George Briscoe told SNY.tv. “But secondly I wouldn’t be surprised if they make his top five down the road, both of them.

“Isaiah’s style of play, big point guard. I just wouldn’t count it out as them being in his top five down the road.”

He will also visit Florida in “late June,” his father said.

Briscoe averaged 15.1 points, 4.6 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 2.3 steals for the 32-2 Gray Bees and helped them reach the ESPN National High School Invitational final, losing to Montverde (Fla.) Academy.
  6. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    So are you claiming Frazier scored 30 ppg in AAU ball his JR year, but dropped to 17 ppg in AAU ball his SR year? Are you claiming that in both high school and AAU ball he scored off the dribble as a JR, but became a perimeter scorer in both his SR year?

The competition for shots of course was much greater at Montverde than in Tampa, but these recruiting analysts are not coming to Tampa to watch high school games. They rate these guys based on summer events. So unless his play during summer events changed, then I think it is fair to say he dropped way too much after committing to UF.
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The recruiting analysts also go to high school tournaments, and they will at least watch the national type high school games that are on television. The City of Palms attracts plenty of recruiting analysts. I have seen and spoken to Tom Konchalski at the City of Palms. The recruiting analysts had plenty of opportuniities to watch Frazier play high school games at both Plant High School and Montverde. At Plant, Frazier played with the ball in his hands. At Montverde, Frazier played off the ball. He looked like 2 different players. I think that I can safely say that Frazier's drop in the rankings had nothing to do with his committing to Florida.
  8. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Again what matters is not how he looked compared to playing for a Tampa high school, but whether he looked different from how he looked playing AAU ball previously. I do remember he was named as having the best shooting form at the NBAPA top 100 camp.

And I am sure you can safely overthrow the history of social science research and assure us that basketball recruiting analysts are the one group of human beings immune to the human inclination towards self interest and would never move down a committed player and move up an uncommitted player even though it might well increase their profits.
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Mark one up for Insti!
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Why? His statement makes no sense. How does moving one player up and another down make money for the analyst?
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    Themistocles is a statistician, that's why.
  12. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Jared Terrell (Weymouth, Mass./Brewster Academy) has been a well known prospect on the AAU circuit for a couple of years now.

The four-star guard came up the ranks with the Expressions Elite travel squad, played at the highest levels of prep school ball, stood out on some of the biggest stages grassroots hoops has to offer and earned scholarship offers from some of the highest levels of college basketball.

But for as much as Terrell’s development has been in front of the public eye, the evolution of his game has been unique.

Jared Terrell
    Shooting guard
    Uncommitted: List
    Pos Rk Stars Grade Hometown
    NR
    Weymouth, MA

Blessed with a strong body and good athleticism even at a young age, it was actually the development of his basketball skill set that has helped to take his game to new levels over the years. And the college interest is beginning to pile up for Terrell, who holds offers from a host of schools in the Big East, Big 12 and SEC.

“I think I’ve gone through a couple of different stages,” Terrell said, “but my approach is always just to stay in the gym and keep working.”

Terrell remembers when he first debuted with Expressions, just after his freshman year at Weymouth High School. Despite being little more than 6-feet tall, he’d played down low through large stretches of his career to that point by virtue of his powerful body and athleticism.

“When I got to Expressions, everybody was just as big as me, so I started playing with the ball more,” he recalled.

Initially, even on the exposure circuit, Terrell was known for his physical tools as well as the reckless abandon he would show when attacking the rim in the open floor. Nevertheless, it was obvious he needed to hone his skills.

“I wasn’t a big skill person when I first started,” Terrell said. “But I started staying in the gym, just trying to get better every day.”

The handle was the first thing to come around, allowing him to play the game more like a true guard, rather than the undersized forward role he had grown accustomed to on the local level.

After his first year with Expressions, Terrell was planning a move to the prep school ranks and knew the next step in his game would be the development of his jump shot.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Damen Jackson via Triple Play New Media
    Four-star guard Jared Terrell has the likes of Kansas and Florida hoping to land his pledge.
    He makes no bones about the fact that he wasn’t a very good shooter at first, but has since developed both consistent three-point range as well as a strong pull-up game.

“The handle came first then the jumper,” he said. “I’d just shoot as many jumpers as I could every day. I’d start with my school work, because it can be hard to balance both, then go to the gym.”

Three years after his first appearance on the exposure circuit, we’re now seeing a more complete offensive game than we ever have before from Terrell.

“I think I can mix it up more now,” he said. “My jumper is coming along. My explosion is coming along. I’ve got a combination of shooting and driving.”

The benefits have been obvious as Kansas and Florida became the most recent schools to offer the powerful guard a scholarship while Terrell names Cincinnati, Texas, Providence, and a lot of the Big East schools among the programs he is hearing from the most.

But he’s not about to start resting on his laurels, he’s already pinpointed the next step in the development of his game.

“I’m working on my point guard skills,” he said. “(Just) being a smarter player, having an IQ for the game, and just handling the ball better.

“I know I have an opportunity that not a lot of people have, and I just want to try and take advantage of it.”
  13. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    If you recall, last year Julius Randle went out of his way to say how much he enjoyed playing U18 USA Basketball for Billy Donovan, the team's head coach. The pair won a FIBA Americas championship together and helped Team USA qualify for this year's U19 world championship.

Well, this year Donovan returns to coach the U19 team along with VCU's Shaka Smart and Virginia's Tony Bennett. Like Randle last year when he was the only recruitable player on the roster, rising seniors Justise Winslow and Jahlil Okafor are set to try out for the squad.

[+] EnlargeChris Williams/Icon SMI
    Justise Winslow will have a chance to play for Billy Donovan, one of the coaches recruiting him, with Team USA.Okafor released a big list of finalists that didn't include Florida. Winslow, however, has the Gators on his list. Florida, UCLA, Duke, Kansas and Arizona seem like strong first-tier contenders for Winslow, and no one else on his list will have the access Donovan will enjoy this month with team USA.

In situations like this, it's a two-way street. The player gets to find out exactly who the coach is and what his style is like. Recruiting conspiracy theorists will undoubtedly think Donovan will tailor his attack to feature Winslow and do everything in his power to make a great impression. The reality is that Donovan's only goal is to win the world championship. When you're appointed the coach of a U.S. national team, you walk in the footsteps of history. Your goal is to win. Would Donovan like to make a great impression on Winslow? Absolutely. But not at the expense of Team USA.

If you're Winslow, you know going into the experience that you're competing for a spot on the team. If you make it, you'll receive an accurate representation of what it'll be like to play for Donovan. That's an advantage for Winslow as well because come July, he'll know exactly what he feels about Florida.

Some will say it's not fair that Donovan gets to spend so much time with Winslow. Well, life ain't fair. When you are asked by your country to perform a service and coach, it's extremely prestigious. Not everyone gets called. The downside is you miss valued time with your family, your current players and oftentimes with potential recruits. (No one ever mentions that part, do they?)

Donovan isn't the first person in position to coach a player he's recruiting, and he won't be the last. If it's an advantage, so be it. But remember, spending that much time with someone can direct the situation two ways. Would it be an advantage in recruiting if Donovan (or any coach, for that matter) had to cut the player he's recruiting?

My opinion: If you're asked to coach, you work with the roster USA Basketball gives you. And if works out that it's a recruiting advantage, use it as best you can. The other coaches who didn't get job would have done the same thing.
  14. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Unfortunately, his enjoyment of playing for BD wasn't enough to persuade him into committing to BD...
  15. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    A big man who can score and rebound at a high level as well as do the little things that often go unnoticed (boxing out and setting solid screens) is very valuable at the next level.

Reggie Rankin/ESPN
    Isaac Haas is a 7-foot-1 center with loads of potential. One such prospect is four-star 2014 center Isaac Haas (Piedmont, Ala./Hokes Bluff). The massive 7-foot-1, 275 pounder isn’t an ESPN 100 talent but just missed out on that honor and is coming off a strong showing at last weekend’s NBPA Top 100 camp. His size and potential has made it virtually impossible for him to fly under the radar as nearly 10 squads have stepped up with offers.

Haas claims offers from NCAA heavyweights Florida and UCLA along with Purdue, UAB, Clemson, Stanford and NCAA Cinderella Wichita State.

When you see him perform, it’s a wonder why more teams haven’t stepped up their pursuit of him. In addition to his size, Haas brings a lot to the table on both ends of the court.

He runs the floor very well for his size and plays with effort and energy throughout the game. Haas is a huge post target who seals his defender deep in the lane before overpowering them or shooting over them, often using a jump hook. He is physical and will not hesitate to use his big frame to carve out more prime real estate down low. The big fella is a great area rebounder and has an excellent motor.

Haas, who boasts a 3.9 GPA in Advanced Placement classes, is essentially the total package: A beast on the floor as well as in the classroom, and he’ll be a big catch for some lucky collegiate program.
  16. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Florida Gators

Who they have: Billy Donovan wanted to bolster his backcourt in this class, especially since Braxton Ogbueze transferred. Enter ESPN 100 point guard Chris Chiozza. Part showman, part creator and part scorer, he brings energy. Chiozza is also a pesky defender, never a bad trait to have on a Donovan team.

Who they want: Down in Gainesville, the Gators annually keep a great list of prospects in the top right-hand drawer of Donovan's desk. This year's list reads: forward Kevon Looney, big man Cliff Alexander, forward Trey Lyles, small forward Justise Winslow, shooting guard Devin Booker, scorer Rashad Vaughn, combo guards JaQuan Lyle and Brandone Francis, forward Abdul-Malik Abu, forward Terry Larrier and guard Ahmed Hill.

Storyline to watch: Donovan is coaching this year's USA Basketball U19 team. One of the wings to make the squad: Winslow. That means Donovan has three weeks to coach, recruit and influence one of the nation's most versatile small forwards to pick the Gators.

Bold prediction: Gainesville is a long way from Milwaukee, but the Gators wind up being among the select finalists for top-10 recruit Looney.

Overall recruiting trend: Up. Not only is Florida succeeding with high school players but this year it'll debut transfers Dorian Finney-Smith and Damontre Harris. The Gators are going to be pretty good -- again.
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Stanley Johnson ‏@StanMan_41 4m
    Flordia visit on the 30th of October

number 1 SG in America
  18. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    There is an update on espn about Abdul Malik Abu blowing up at the Elite New England 75. Maybe Don23lucia could help us out with that one.
  19. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Abdul-Malik Abu (Boston/Kimball Union Academy)
    2014, PF, 6-7, 230
    Status: Claims offers from many schools in the Big East, ACC, Atlantic 10 and Big Ten
    When Abu is converting his mid-range jump shot, he is a load to handle. He can utilize the up-fake to get his defender off balance, and his first step is pretty potent. He attacks the rim with ferocity and can take the contact and finish over length.

WORCESTER, Mass. -- For the past eight years, the New England Elite 75 Showcase has hosted the very best prospects the region has to offer with stars like Jordan Williams, Andre Drummond, Nerlens Noel, Michael Carter-Williams and Noah Vonleh among the recent alums from the event.

This year’s event took place Monday night and once again showcased the top talent the region boasts while also providing a preview of things to come in the upcoming July evaluation period. Highly coveted prospects Bonzie Colson Jr. and Abdul-Malik Abu garnered most of the headlines but a number of other locals also handled themselves well.

Most Explosive
    Abdul-Malik Abu (Marblehead, Mass./Kimball Union)
    2014, PF, 6-8, 230 pounds
    Status: Claims offers from Kansas, Florida, Iowa State, Providence, Cincinnati and UConn.
    He came into the spring with a reputation as a slightly undersized power forward who would compensate for his size by virtue of his motor. But in the last few months he’s proven himself explosive enough to be a force around the rim against the highest levels of competition. On Monday night, his latest victim was an unsuspecting rim that will never be the same after Abu’s aerial assault.

No. 44 rising senior Abdul-Malik Abu is being heavily recruited by the likes of Kansas and Florida.

Hardest Worker
    Abdul-Malik Abu (Boston/Kimball Union Academy)
    2014, PF, 6-8, 230
    Offers: Cincinnati, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Maryland and Providence, among others
    Travel Team: Expressions Elite
    Abu is a player. He brings his lunch pail and simply goes to work every day. Slightly undersized (although he measured an inch taller than previously at 6-8), he is very bouncy and produces some of the loudest dunks you will find on the high school level. He is extremely powerful and one of the true risers in the 2014 class.

This is the most recent info I could find on ESPN
  20. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    A little more than a week ago, ESPN 100 center Goodluck Okonoboh (Boston/Wilbraham & Monson) saw his former AAU and high school teammate, Nerlens Noel, go No. 6 in the NBA draft.

“We call each other best friends, but we’re more like brothers,” Okonoboh said.

So, can Noel’s “brother” wind up at Kentucky? “I don’t know; they’re recruiting everybody,” Okonoboh said.

UNLV, Duke, Indiana, Florida and Louisville are charging hard, but this young man is a long way from making a decision or even formulating a final list. He’s locked in on basketball this summer, not recruiting.

“I need to keep working on my touch around the basket,” Okonoboh said. “My positioning can get off. I’m confident facing the basket because I can get by my defender, but I need to work on my back-to-the-basket game.”

Regardless of his offensive progress, he remains a serious rim protector on defense.

ESPN 100 power forward Kevon Looney (Milwaukee/Hamilton) will cut his list to five at the end of the month. Duke, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee, Georgetown, Wisconsin and Stanford get a lot of play right now, and the most active head coaches have been John Beilein and Tom Izzo. “(Michigan State assistant) Dane Fife used to call a lot, but my mom told him she wanted to hear from the head coach and now Tom Izzo calls the most.” Rule No. 1 in recruiting: Obey the mother.

Who they want: Down in Gainesville, the Gators annually keep a great list of prospects in the top right-hand drawer of Donovan's desk. This year's list reads: forward Kevon Looney, big man Cliff Alexander, forward Trey Lyles, small forward Justise Winslow, shooting guard Devin Booker, scorer Rashad Vaughn, forward Abdul-Malik Abu, forward Terry Larrier and guard Ahmed Hill.

-- Dave Telep

Stanley Johnson, a five-star power forward out of Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei, has filled the final spot in his visit map, telling The Courier-Journal he will officially visit Kansas.

With that decision, the Duke Blue Devils end up on the outside looking in, although Duke had yet to officially offer. The 6-foot-7, 226-pound Johnson had previously stated he would choose between Duke and Kansas for the fifth and final spot.

Kentucky, Florida, Oregon and Arizona get his other four visits while local programs UCLA and USC will get official unofficial visits.

“Yes, that’s what I’m going to do,” he said last month in a video interview with Fox. “I’m going to take unofficial officials to USC and UCLA for sure. Then I want to take five officials to the schools out of state.”

Johnson is the lone 2014 small forward with a Kentucky offer and he told the Courier-Journal at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Las Vegas he was honored to be in that position.

“That means to me they really want me and what they’re saying if valid,” he said. “Coach [John] Calipari is one of the most honest coaches I’ve talked to so far, and he’s shown it. That’s big for me. A lot of coaches say it, but they don’t show it. Having me being the only small forward Kentucky has offered is a big deal.

Johnson said he expects several other top players at Big Blue Madness, with 2014 point guard Emmanuel Mudiay already saying he will come.

“A lot of guys are going,” Johnson told the Courier-Jouranl. “I heard me and Emmanuel Mudiay, and (Alabama shooting guard) Devin Booker just told me this weekend he wants to come with me, so it’s going to be packed. I’m excited because I want to see them at their best. I think that’s the best weekend for basketball up there and to see the school also. I’m excited to go up there and see the campus life when basketball is going to be big.”

Johnson is also close friends with Katin Reinhardt, who recently transferred to USC from UNLV and may now be working to recruit Johnson to Andy Enfield’s program.

“He wants to recruit me there, but for me it’s the best decision for me,” Johnson said. “For Katin I thought that was the best decision for him, but for me the best decision for me is the best decision for me. So, it could be anywhere for me.”

Johnson said he will visit Arizona on Sept. 14 for their Red-Blue game, Kentucky on Oct. 18 for their annual Big Blue Madness event and Florida on Oct. 30.

On Kansas, Johnson stated he plans on visiting with 2014 Cliff Alexander for their annual Late Night at The Phog, which is scheduled for Oct. 4 of this year.

Johnson says it will probably be early-to-mid January before he decides and he will sign in the Spring.