2014 recruits thread? Future Gators here.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BLING, Mar 31, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
  2. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
  3. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +48
    BTW, here is a site that keeps a roster/recruiting board for each team. He is updating things fast enough now that he has removed Allen from the UF board already. The list of bigs on UF's board is longer than others I have seen. He does not have the Francis offer up yet.

Click on this link:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/florida
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247
    Florida just offered Chos Chiozza per Coach Norton Hurd.
  5. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Yep. Keep an eye on Chris Chiozza. He's a 4-star PG out of Memphis.
  6. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Florida has offered 5-10 PG Tyler Ulis from Chicago.
  7. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +48
    I have to give this site credit, they already have:

1. Carter there in green as a verbal commitment

2. Ogbueze in the color of someone no longer on the roster

3. Ulis on the board with an offer.

They are updating very often right now.
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Great site. It's missing one big name. What's up with Mickey Mitchell for the 2015 class?
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Thanks Insti - that is a very good site.

For the Gators, did anyone notice that in the 2010 and 2012 classes, Starters Patric Young was a 4.7 star, while Wilbekin was a 2.3. Among the alternate starters, Prather was a 4, Yeguete a 2.3 and Frazier a 2.7, at least according to the rankings he used.

Did anyone notice that next year, Ky has two 5-star and one 4-star returnees: 5 star -Wiltjer, Poythress; 4-star - Cauley-Stein. They also have 4 2- or 3-star PGs returning, in addition to incoming 5-star Harrison.

Given this blend of experience and 8 highly rated rookies (8 rookies???? - possibly 9 with Wiggins still on the board), one might expect Ky to field a pretty good team next year.

I very rarely look at such things, because it is difficult to determine how an incoming freshman will perform, but this year's Ky class looks pretty disastrous for opponents (assuming those ratings in conform to performance on the court in a reasonable fashion).
  10. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Stars, schmars.

Wilbekin probably would have been a 4-star had he not graduated early. Frazier's stock dropped way too much with the move to Montverde.

As for UK, Wiltjer hasn't come close to living up to his 5-star rating.
  11. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Added Chris Chiozza to the "prospect" list, although it sounds like he's actually about to commit real soon (if he hasn't already). :whoa:
  12. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    After a fantastic April in which his stock skyrocketed in recruiting circles, it appears 2014 three-star point guard Chris Chiozza (Memphis, Tenn./White Station) will commit to Florida. CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish reported that a formal announcement is expected next Tuesday. With this news in mind, does this mean Billy Donovan and co. also have the inside track to his teammate, PF Leron Black (Memphis, Tenn./White Station), the No. 11 ranked recruit in the class of 2014?

The 6-foot-7 Black initially committed to Baylor but de-committed a few months later, near Christmas, deciding that he needed to take more time for his decision.

The word is that Black will more strongly consider Florida if Chiozza goes there. The two haven't explicitly said they will attend the same school but they've been very clear they want to play together, as they currently play both AAU and high school on the same team. If Donovan is able to land the Memphis pair, it will be an exceptional start to his 2014 haul and will ensure the reloading process begins smoothly, as many several integral Gators will graduate after next season.

Black lists Florida, Illinois, N.C. State, Ohio State and UConn as the schools pursuing him the hardest.
  13. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    5. Chiozza shoots up list of traditional points

The discussion of Lyle's true position got me thinking about who are the best traditional point guards I've seen so far this spring in the Class of 2014. Having spent almost every weekend of the past month on the road, I've seen a player or two. Not everyone, but more than my fair share so far. And while I haven't seen elite 2014 point guards Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Josh Perkins, Jordan McLaughlin or Romelo Trimble yet this spring (I have seen them before), I will within the next few weeks.

For purposes of this section, I'm talking solely about guys I've seen this spring whose strength is running a team. This list is about that one aspect, nothing else. Here are my five 2014 point guards from the past five weeks that pass (pun intended) the test and excel at running their team (note: these are not overall point guard rankings).

1. Tyus Jones
    2. Joel Berry
    3. Tyler Ulis
    4. Chris Chiozza
    5. Ahmaad Rorie

Other "point" guards such as Emmanuel Mudiay (comparison: John Wall), Brandone Francis (Greivis Vasquez) and Lyle (still working on this one) could be seen as scorers first and assist men second, though Mudiay can easily swing back and forth between lists.

Chiozza is trending up, and for good reason. He is fast and fearless. He can pass but also has to score on his travel team. There's a hint of Phil Pressey and, for folks who remember, former Oklahoma and Xavier guard Andrew Lavender in his game. Defensively, he's a real pain in the rear. He hounds the ball like a mosquito. Playing against him as he anticipates the passing lanes can't be fun.

Our job as recruiting analysts is to pick holes in these guys' games, and Chiozza has his. He's guilty of over-penetrating and he needs a mid-range pull-up, but overall he's very sound. When you begin breaking down the national point guard lists, the pool of must-have, big-time guys can get shallow in a hurry, and then there's the next cut. Chiozza is firmly entrenched in the next tier, and he's steadily picking guys off and moving into top-10 consideration at his position. High-level programs like Florida moved on him within the past week, and more will follow.

Simply put, Chiozza is advancing quickly on the pack. Every time he's played at a national event this spring, the reviews have been good. He's traded flair for substance but kept the chip on his shoulder that motivates him. When you're 5-10, you need that underdog mentality to maintain your edge. We've seen it in players before, such as Andre Barrett (Seton Hall) and T.J. Ford (Texas). For Chiozza, being on the offensive suits him well.
  14. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Virginia transfer guard Paul Jesperson is considering USC, St. Louis, Northern Iowa, and Florida as possible destinations. A starter in 33 of UVA's 35 games, Jesperson averaged 25.7 minutes per game as a sophomore and very purely was a three-point shooter, connecting on a better percentage of his threes (37.0) than on his twos (34.0). He took an official visit to USC two days ago and an official to Saint Louis earlier this week.

We wrote previously why USC is likely going hard at Pe'Shon Howard. Even though Howard and Jesperson play different positions, it will be interesting to see if USC would be able to land both. At the moment, Andy Enfield does have enough scholarship space on the roster. Point guard is the top priority but it seems like the Trojans could use another solid shooter.

As far as other landing places, Purdue is also reportedly showing interest and Nebraska is rumored to be in the mix.
  15. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38

He is literally on everyones radar, but tore his ACL last year on the football field so I imagine coaches are taking the wait and see approach with him since he hasnt played any basketball in quite some time.
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    I believe that Mitchell attended Winter Park before moving to Texas. He is a stud. There is no reason for a wait and see with him unless he is crippled.
  17. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38

He is a stud, no one is arguing that fact at all, but everyone is different and recover differently from ACL reconstruction. Look at Iman Shumpert and Derrick Rose they tore theirs on the same day and one is a major contributor to their playoff team and the other is advertising fine Italian wear on the sidelines.

I think that when he proves that he is fine and can at least play near the same level he will still be a priority and we should still be one of the favorites to land him.

I think that we need to shift gears and make Ben Simmons of Montverde priority #1 if he isn't all ready. I asked him if the Gators were in it for his college services at the Jordan Brand Classic and he said that they were and that Coach Donovan was recruiting him hard, I guess take that for what it's worth it would be nice to see him in the Orange and Blue.
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    That was bizarre, a case where the better the player got, the more his stock dropped. Why would you drop the rating of a player leaving a a decent public program to play for one of the elite private school basketball programs in the country?

I don't know how high Wilbekin's stock would have been, but how often does a college coach get to spend time coaching a player for seven or eight years, molding him into the kind of player and competitor he would need him to be as a college junior and senior?
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    Ben Simmons is a tremendous prospect. He and Mitchell can play different positions.
  20. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    True, and they would be great to see in the Orange and Blue.