2014 RB Isaiah McKenzie - The Human Joystick, American Heritage HS, Plantation FL

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorchamps0607, Jan 10, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,167
    They did it more so in the spread since they were edge guys but not so well up between the tackles. Either way we still need a mixture of speed burners and tackle breakers. We have lacked those players that can leave you in the dust.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,748
    Would be great to get a Harvin/Watkins type player that both breaks tackles and accelerates past defenders. In this class, Bo is the best example of that. Fingers crossed on him.

But I REALLY like Mackenzie. He runs tough for his size, is very quick, has great lateral agility, acceleration and top end speed. He is a great fit for what Roper wants to do. Hope we land him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    Just saw that ND gets his last visit on 1/31. That's not good, but hopefully Will can impress him enough to comit and cancel it. Also, Indiana in January cannot be pleasant
  4. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514
    Front page story has him at 180. That's Warrick Dunn size and is much better than 168.
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,167
    It funny because every recruit seems to be about 4 different heights and 5 different weights depending on the site.

They can come to a consensus star rating but not a consensus height and weight. SMH
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    The new article says there is no chance he commits this weekend. It could work out that he has a spot on signing day, but I can't see the staff guaranteeing one if Lauderdale, Scott, Prince, Carter & Adoree Jackson all want to commit.

He better be smart and not overplay this. If he WANTS to be a Gator, he better take his spot.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    He should be a top priority. This is someone that can play in the slot, which we need drastically with the switch to a spread. Regarding the comparisons to Rainey, he appears to be far more shiftier with less top end speed. One important note on that comparison...Rainey was a running back in H.S. and never really made a transition to the slot (percy position). This kid has been playing that position for a while now and is used to catching passes.

We need him!

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    They did sign Powell, already in school for the same spot. That greatly reduces his "need" and opens himself up to the category of "best 5 players available."
  9. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +545
    Personally, I disagree with this. Powell is more of a running back, while McKenzie is more of a receiver and can be both a running and receiving threat each play.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatornation240

gatornation240 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,550
    This kid is smooth, stay home Isaiah so mama and friends can comes watch you score TDs every weekend
    • Like Like x 1
  11. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    We have Bailey who can play the slot as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +545
    I think Bailey will be good, but again, not a natural receiver, nor does he have the first step or acceleration of McKenzie. McKenzie is a slasher with his ability to accelerate and turn up the field quickly for positive yardage.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,748
    I've pumped Mackenzie a few times already so don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'm with you. From what I see on film, we don't have anyone who accelerates like he does.

Bailey is a very good athlete for that role, though. Not trying to take away from him.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    How is Bailey not a natural WR? He has excellent instincts. Great hands. He catches everything and he's very good after the catch. He runs good routes and like most young WRs he could use some polish. I know he played a lot of QB on his Seffner teams but he showed out at WR at The Opening.

If our offense starts to play like we all know UF can, Alvin Bailey will be a very successful player for us at multiple positions. To me, he seems as if he'll be our most natural/comfortable punt returner. And this kid will bring swagger back to our hobo of an offense.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +545
    Like I said, I think Bailey will be good. Certainly not trying to take anything away from him. However, the acceleration burst that Mckenzie provides is something that very few people have, and can be a huge difference maker in the offense we are trying to install (to the tune of an extra 2-3 yards every time he touches the ball compared to other players).

Not taking anything away from Bailey's receiving skills, but he spent most of his career as a QB, while McKenzie has been playing the slot position in a spread offense as a run/pass threat. Exactly what we need. His experience in the position will make him more polished.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Cool, mike. I figured thats what you meant. I hope I didn't seem like I was calling you out...it just so happens that I am a HUGE Alvin Bailey fan and I believe he'll be a dangerous threat to go along w the other youngsters once they learn their routes and the game slows down for them.

Unfortunately, im not a believer in Jeff. I think hes a mediocre QB w special physical tools. (sorry. Dont mean to hijack)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +545
    No worries man. FWIW, I was really high on Bailey last year when we recruited him and still am. I see alot of "Hilliard-like" moves in him when I watch his highlight videos.

Regarding McKenzie, First-step acceleration is just something that you don't find often, which is why I'm so high on him. I can only think of 3 guys in recent history that have had the ability to accelerate abnormally quick with their first step. Jeff Demps and Kelvin Taylor, who were RBs and won't help us in the slot, and Percy Harvin, who was obviously bigger and a better deep threat. McKenzie is different than all of those guys, but brings the acceleration piece to the table, which can murder a defense.

I am hopeful that Jeff running the ball more will help open up the passing lanes for him in year 3. The light has not seemed to come on for him yet. I hope it will this year.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    McKenzie would be a special teams star from Day 1. The impact he might have on offense depends on everything from QB development, to his grasp of the playbook, to the health of the OL. Personally, I think he's a take just for what he could do at PR/KR and on the punt-block team. Any offense we see from him (probably in 2 years) is just gravy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    Really? Demps and Rainey were not expected to run over people. They both had several highlight runs for long gains and TDs. If Mackenzie gives us the same threat to score on any play I could care less if he goes down fairly easy when hit, it's how well he avoids getting hit and what he does when he doesn't get hit that matters.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. VandyGator13

VandyGator13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    • Like Like x 2