2014 Polk County Gator Club Spring Gathering with Coach Will Muschamp. - Wednesday, May 7th.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Apr 15, 2014.

1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014.

From The Lake Mirror Center in Beautiful Downtown Lakeland, Florida.
    121 South Lake Avenue, Lakeland FL 33801.

It's the Annual Polk County Gator Club Spring Gathering with UF Coach Will Muschamp.

Join UF Representatives in Supporting Academic Scholarships for Polk County High School Students.

Fantastic Gator Auction!

GATOR GATHERING SCHEDULE at Lake Mirror Center.:)

5:00 P.M. Doors will Open. Time to visit the Vendors' Tables.
    5:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M. Dinner and Beverages. Catering by Granger's Bar BQ.
    6:00 P.M. Program gets underway with Prelims, then Coach Muschamp!

Ticket Deadline is Monday, April 28th or when Sold Out!
    Seating is Limited so better Order ASAP!

TICKETS.

$35.00 PCGC Members.
    $45.00 Non-Members.
    Tickets will be held in your name at the door.

$450.00 Reserve Tables of 10 Seats.
    Tickets will be sent to you.

Admission Tickets Day of the Gathering.
    No Guarantee of Availability.

$40.00 PCGC Members.
    $45.00 Non Members..

Polk County Fightin' Gator Donor Table.
    $1,000 with Limit of 6 Donors.
    Benefits:
    Reserved Table of 10.
    Preferred Seating in Fightin' Gator Section.
    Name on Fightin' Gator Banner.
    Name on Place Mats.
    Podium Recognition.
    Deadline: April 28th.

Gathering Reservations may be dropped off at:
    The Proud Gator.
    700 South Florida Avenue.
    Lakeland FL 33801.

Or U.S.A. Mail.
    Make Checks out to:
    The Polk County Gator Club.
    P.O. Box 2296
    Lakeland FL 33806.

Gators with Questions may call:
    863-640-4802 Roi Cornish.
    863-660-6164 Skip Jones.

It's great to be a Polk County Gator Club Florida Gator! :)

The Polk County Gator Club is an Affiliated Organization of the University of Florida Alumni Association.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Thanx sir Ray!!! A side note.. Granger's Bar BQ will be catering.. Sonny's corporate is suppose to be catering the 2014 Gatherings, but we never heard from them... Roi
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,027
    Ray, we (I) expect a full write up!

Honestly, the assistants are much more enjoyable imo. They tend to go off script more and open up. I hope we get some write ups on their speeches.
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    First, I've tried to do those write ups in the past but I have to admit I'm lousy at it! Just an excited Gator I guess. I get so caught up and excited in what the Coach is saying, then I think, wait, I got to write that down! Then I try, and then miss what is just said. Everyone is laughing or cheering or whatever, so then I ask those around me, what did he just say? Hope someone else who is good at that will do it. I'll try but .......

And actually, we've always been very happy and excited with our coaches who visit. Maybe they just play off the enthusiastic large Gator fan crowds we have.

Spurrier was always funny with that sort of dry sense of humor he had. Since he loved to play golf, PCGC would always have a Gator tournament going on in the afternoon just before the Gathering. You could tell he loved that because sometimes he'd arrive just a few minutes before the program was suppose to start, still wearing his golf gloves!

Ron Zook was always excited! Of course he would talk so fast you had to pay close attention to what he was saying!

And there is a lot of things I liked, and still do, about Urban Meyer. I will never forget, and I don't think he will either, his first and all his visits to Lakeland for these PCGC Spring Gatherings. Not an usual question when someone is not familiar or know where Lakeland is located that I get asked where is it? And I'll say, "It's just on the south side of I 4 between Orlando and Tampa" and then the response I usually always get is, "Oh yeah, I've driven by there a few times." So anyway, Urban wasn't too familiar either. Then on his first visit in 2005 he was no doubt amazed and surprised to see the enthusiastic and large turnout he got! It was held at Tigertown, which is the Spring home for the Detroit Tigers. Maybe he thought it would be be about a couple of hundred or so. Certainly not about a thousand outside visiting all the various vendor tents before the program got underway.

In the past a head coach probably had maybe about a quarter more visits then they do now. And the PCGC was the first stop on his tour each Spring. In 2006 the AD's office was going to let the HC cut back on the visits. Some that had them in the past would no longer have them. I've heard some on here mention that. Some would be on a rotation basis. And just a few would get the HC every year. Well, we were going to lose out and the PCGC would be one on a rotation basis. When Urban heard that we found out he said something like, "Wait, wasn't that the first stop I had last year? I want to go back there". So, we got back on the annual stop list, not always the first one anymore. But still.

There's another thing I really appreciated about Urban. I was my Mom's caregiver. Urban showed her a lot of kindness. 2005 2006 were the last 2 years she could get and do some things. She always loved going to the PCGC Spring Gatherings. Always! She liked all the Gators there and the fun everybody was having. Of course my brother was there too. So, it was family also. Anyway, Mom was always dressed in Gator gear, had a Gator flag on her wheelchair and all that. After Coach Meyer was done with his remarks and doing his Q&A etc. He would be at a table doing the autograph thing. You could have just one item. I usually always had a next Fall schedule T shirt to get his autograph. Of course, always a long line and he had to go fast. Usually his signature would be something like "UM 06"'or "Urban" etc. So Mom liked Urban and wanted his autograph also. Well, we would be in the line and I would be pushing her in her wheelchair, working our way up. When Meyer would see her, he would get up out of his seat and walk around to her in the wheelchair. Say a nice greeting. And would also sign her a little note with his signature on something. She loved it! Sure, took a couple of extra minutes for him but it didn't seem to bother him. 05 06 were the last 2 years she could get out so I'll always appreciate his kindness.

Coach Muschamp has always been enthusiastic and exciting! He'll talk fast about the team so better pay attention. Gives out a lot of info. He'll also recognize Gators and others he sees in the crowd. Such as Wayne Peace and Coach Castle of Lakeland HS. It was funny last year when he said to him from the podium, "Hey coach, send me some more Pounceys!" Muschamp also never hurries through the Q&A. He'll say a few times something like, "So, does anyone have another question? No one?" I look forward to seeing and hearing him again on the 7th!

As mentioned, I know some of the Assistant Coaches are making visits also so if you have one visiting your area please make sure you go hear them. I know you won't be disappointed. I remember when Coach Spurrier was here we also use to get visits every year about a week or two after Signing Day in February from Coach Collins and Coach Buddy Teevens (he was the recruiter for Polk County area HSs) to go over the new signing class with info and a Q&A about them. Not as big a turnout as the Spring Gathering with the HC or the annual PCGC Kickoff party in late August with Larry Vettel but still about a couple of hundred Gators or so. Usually held at Eaglebrook CC. We haven't had these recruiting info parties with a couple of assistant coaches since Spurrier was here. And they sure were great! I, and other Gators here, miss them.

I remember one time we had Coach Billy Donovan. He has actually been here in Lakeland at least twice that I know of. And as the saying is now days, he was absolutely awesome! Excellent the way he interacts with the Gators ! So, if you ever get a chance to see "Billy the Kid" at a Gator Club near you, don't miss the opportunity! We are fortunate to have a lot of great Gator coaches in a lot of sports at UF!

:)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Well, that's great news! Granger's has the best Bar BQ anywhere. :)
  6. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Stopped by the Proud Gator today. Wanted to buy another T shirt. Anyway, found out there were only 5 tickets left to be sold. Guessing they're all gone by now. I hope to be there early tomorrow afternoon. Would like to suggest we give a standing moment of silence in memory of the recent passing of Coach Muschamp's Dad a few days ago.
  7. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,027
    Ray, I'll be expecting a write up within 15 minutes of the last question posed to CM!
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    I always thought Brothers BBQ edged out Grangers. My heart has still not recovered from them going out of business. I'm hurting still.
    Grangers is delicious, too, of course.
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    Below is the Ledger in Lakeland write up from the event. Not very long but it talks about Adam Lane and how pleased Muschamp is with him. I like how he says that Lane has "top-end speed." We know he is a bowling ball and tough to bring down. But the top-end speed comment makes him extra dangerous. I really like this guy ...

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140507/ARTICLES/140509683?tc=cr
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Ufreak, I appreciate you posting that article! It's a good one! I was going to try and do it but I often screw up trying to do these link things. My computer, when it was working a long time ago, I usually could do it. Now with my Apple iPhone and Apple iPad I can't figure out or remember how to do it most of the time. So, thanks again.

I'll post more later on the event. It was was really great! We found out, and I'm not surprised, it was the largest turnout so far for Coach Muschamp on his Spring tour. Don't know if we had a thousand but it sure had to close to that. A Gator did a couple of photos on my iPhone for me. Now, I'm going to have a kid post them for me. But school is still on right now. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
  12. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    image.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    OK, a young guy helped me, well actually he did it, got my photos posted. He had to do some sort of "crop" thing, whatever. And he was patient! His fingers were just a flying around on my iPad. He tried to explain it to me but...
    I'm always amazed how Jaggator and Bazza and others can post those awesome photos on threads!
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    Looking good, Ray!
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    I thought about wearing this new T shirt. As if I needed to buy another one. Anyway, I call it my "Famous Jameis" T shirt. The Proud Gator started selling them on Tuesday. Anyway I didn't but I did bring it with me to the PCGC Gathering to show others. It sure got attention. Maybe if I ever run into Jameis, he'll autograph it for me! :)

There is a crab resturant near by. They got a sign that says something like "Our Crabs are So Cheap, It's Like You Steal Them." :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Here I am (and if you can't tell which one is me, I'm the short guy who couldn't find a stool to stand on) with 2 great friends! Two Awesome guys who were on the 2008 Gator Championship Team. Part of that great Pouncey and Black and Rainey bunch who all played together at Lakeland HS.

On my right is #88. WR Paul Wilson. I've known Paul and his family for a long time now. We all go to the same Church here in Lakeland. Well, Paul actually lives in Auburndale now. Anyway, I still have a Church directory from about 10 years ago. It has photos of the families. Paul must be about 13 or so in it I guess. He and his wife have a little 7 month old baby now.

And on my left is #42. LB Steve Wilks. (See, I can remember some things!) And what a super guy he is too like Paul! I've got to know him real well for over a year now. He works for Wayne Peace, QB #15 in the early '80s, at Wayne's State Farm office here in Lakeland. And I've known Wayne since 1994 when I moved to Lakeland from Mango. I've had State Farm for decades and when I noticed not far from me when I moved here was a "Wayne Peace State Farm" office, no doubt who I'd pick for my agent! Wayne and Steve are also together on the coaching staff at Lakeland Christian High School. Wayne Peace is the HC and Steve Wilks is one of his assistant coaches. In the Fall, I usually see a lot of their Friday night home games. It's always fun! :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Ray - we had about 425 last night for coach.. Sorry I missed you, but I had to leave about 5:30 due to an unknown illness that hit me that afternoon.. I appears everyone had a good time!! Don't forget the Kick Off Party on Aug. 27th with Larry Vettel... Roi
  18. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Yeah, I know Roi. Someone told me you had to leave early because you got ill. It was a great evening. Muschamp,was funny as always. He said Lakeland was his favorite stop on his tours but don't tell anybody because he already pissed off enough Gators last year! And he knew Gators didn't like last season, "I know. I got your emails." I was first in the Q and A. I didn't want to ask Coach a question but only to let him know all Gators wanted to express sympathy for the loss of Dad last week. Someone asked him if he thought we should run the ball more this year or pass the ball more this year. He said, "Score more points this year." :)

And oh yeah, the traditional Kickoff Party with Larry Vettel (about his 25th visit now?) was announced for Wednesday, August 27th. It'll be here before we know it!
  19. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,027
    Ray,

Thanks for the updates. Good to hear the former players are doing well. Always loved Wayne Peace.
  20. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Overall I'd say Coach Muschamp is very optimistic and enthused about the Gators going into this Fall. No doubt the hardest thing for him to cope with last season was all the injuries our players were having. He mentioned that when one of his staff people who dealt with the info on this just seemed to be coming more often to his office it was difficult to have to listen to more bad news. But everyone seems to be healthy now and he thinks Jeff Driskel will have a a good year. That we are going to have very good players in all our positions.. I'm also enthused about seeing what our new OC can accomplish with these guys.

And one sort of funny thing he mentioned was about recruiting. He said despite what you read on the internet it's going very good for the Gators! I know he can't say a lot about recruiting but I think all of us there felt good about it.