2014 OT Yodny Cajuste Might Commit This Weekend

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 17, 2014.

1. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    richard sherman 3 star recruit enough said. Recruiting stars don't mean sh*t. You guys remember Chris Martin and ROPO? They were supposed to the greatest. Ropo had an anverage career and idk where Chris Martin even is.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,674
    IDK where he is either, but better than 50/50 chance he's got a big ole spleef burning. ;)
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,447
    Well, ok. But you know that you would rather have a roster of 4/5 star players than 2/3. Lets compare the results of 2 star/NR vs 4/5 star players.
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,567
    You mean like us agasint Duke?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,674
    In general, I agree you want the higher star guys.

Cajuste is a pretty low risk recruit IMO. He's not rated much because he only played his senior year. Very high ceiling, but will need development time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,447
    I'm not willing to jump on the "we can with with Roper and NRs at Florida" bandwagon just yet. :)
  7. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    In the last NFL draft, more former three stars were drafted than four and five stars.

Of course there are more three stars, but it is proof that many future first rounders are under rated.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,567
    Neither am I... You intimated that 2/3 stars kids don't have as good a results as the 4/5 star kids do, and I pointed the slight flaw in that not all 2/3 star kids are created equal. By comparing our last year's team results to that of Duke's team. And we all know (saw it first hand last year) that the 4/5 star kids can under achieve if the coaching is not there.

But if our coaches can just teach the fundamentals of football, like blocking and tackling, we'd be way better than last year's team with just those simple and easy adjustments.

Coaching is highly underrated, in polishing those 2/3 star diamonds in the rough into brillant shining stars... on and off the field.
  9. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    true....but we gotta trust our coaches
  10. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,447
    Right, has never been underrated with me. You can see good coaching and training on the field. You see it in all aspects of life as well. But wouldn't we rather have great coaches teaching 4 and 5 star kids? We can use Mich State as an example as well. They haven't had a class ranked above 35th(?) in over 5 years and they beat 5 star-Meyer's team.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Rivals also ranked RoPo as the worst 1 overall they ever had, and Clowney the best.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    what if ropo has a better nfl career then clowney?
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    than* and doubtful, seems this thread has turned into a way for a lazy scout to justify never evaluating since Ryan Leafs exist even though they are famous outliers. The 4/5 star stuff is pretty consensus driven.
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Cajuste has apparently committed to WVU per Zach.
  15. ksagator

ksagator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Eh, we have bigger fish to fry.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,290
    Here are the starters of our last two National Championship offensive lines:
    Jim Tartt 3*
    Phil Trautwein 3*
    Steve Rissler 3*
    Drew Miller 4*
    Carlton Medder 3*

Phil Trautwein 3*
    Carl Johnson 5*
    Maurkice Pouncey 4*
    Mike Pouncey 4*
    Jason Watkins 3*

Recruiting rankings were sparse for the 1996 team, so I left it off.

Looks like we did fine with the 3* guys as long as they have time to develop. Note that there were no guys under 3 stars.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,593
    with this being his first year ever playing football, this kid has a lot of room to grow, both mentally and physically. If he had been playing for some time, I doubt we would be offering him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    What you're saying is true, but the fact remains that teams that finish with the best classes (generally composed of the highest number of four and five-star athletes) generally compete and win at the highest level. I don't know why we have to go through this every year, but if you look at almost every winner of the MNC during the BCS years (beginning in '98 with UT), you will see that those teams consistently brought in top five-ten classes prior to winning their championships.

Yet people will continue to say out of frustration that stars don't matter every year. They'll point to the draft, and try to use that as a reason to justify their stance, yet we'll continue to see that the playoffs will show that the most talented teams in college football will compete for and win the national championship.
  19. gatordude15

gatordude15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    The teams that recruit the best players for THEIR SYSTEM do the best. Oregon recruits 3* with speed and coaches them up to do well. Stanford does the same thing with toughness and they win. My friend is the starting RB at Stanford and they told him they don't care about *'s, they care about toughness and physicality.
    It's all about the system and the competitiveness of the individual, not the rating.
    Plus I watch the recruiting tape on prospects I find interesting, and I remember some that I thought were ridiculously underrated and should be 5*'s. For example, I had Teddy Bridgewater as a 5*, and T.Y. Hilton as a 5*.
    I'm sure I've had my share of misses too.....but I really don't want to talk about those.
  20. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Okay, so the two teams you use to prove your point have played for a total of one national championship during that period of time. By the way, both Oregon and Stanford recruit very well. It's not like they walk onto the field with a bunch of stoop pigeons. So, even if what your supposed friend is telling you is even close to being true, Stanford sure has seemed to become relevant in the world of college football lately with talented players whom do more than just "try hard" with "toughness". Check out some of the talent they brought in, beginning with when Harbaugh was there.

Yes, you need the right personnel to fit the system you run. Meyer got the toys for his vision of what he wanted the spread to be, and it was unstoppable. However, the most important pieces to that puzzle (the Pouncey twins, Percy Harvey, Tim Tivo and Hernandez) all just happened to be high school studs. They were outstanding prospects, just as Spikes (five-star), Haden (four) and Dunlap (five) were on the other side of the ball.

You can't deny that talent plays the biggest part. Even Meyer pointed that out when being interviewed following the beat down we put on Ohio State. His exact comment was, "It's all personnel." I think he's more qualified to make that statement than you are. Sorry.