2014 OT Yodny Cajuste Might Commit This Weekend

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 17, 2014.

1. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,544
    Conversely, it's safe to say Florida has had to take a lot of projects on the OL in recent years--and it's a huge reason why we were so abysmal in this category last year. For every 2 and 3* project that becomes a NFL draft pick, there are about two dozen David Youngs who transfer after a year or two and never develop to that level.

That's part of the reason you go after higher-rated and more vetted players in the first place: the odds of probability are more in those guys developing than a lower-star player; and particularly these days when there are a litany of recruiting services and scouts for this type of thing.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    Agree 100%. The only possible reason for considering a prospect like this is because we expect one or two current OL commits not to make it academically. Hope the coaches hold out for Prince or Mike. Don't mind signing seven OL, but they should all be quality players. If not, use the ship at another position. There seems to be an ample supply of committed players at a variety of positions willing to jump ship and come to UF.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,641
    I believe the 6'4"+ three star receivers are worth recruiting... They always seem to out perform their ranking/s.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    It is fine to want five, five star recruits for the line but we need actual players now.

Wishing isn't reality. We have to catch up on numbers or repeat last season.
  5. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    USC's OL roster:

Projected Starters for 2014:
    5* (Scout.com) Brandon Shell (rising Jr., starter past 2 yrs)
    4* AJ Cann (rising Sr., starter his entire career thus far)
    3* Corey Robinson (rising Sr., huge measurables, starter for last 2 yrs)
    3* Clayton Stadnick (rising So., backup who filled in solidly for injured Waldrop) OR:
    3* Cody Waldrop (rising So., was a 4* for much of his recruitment cycle)
    4* Na'Ty Rodgers (rising RS-Fr., very high potential)

Depth:
    4* Brock Stadnick (rising So.)
    4* Alan Knott (ESPN) (rising So.)
    4* D.J. Park (rising Fr.)
    3* Mike Matulis (rising Sr., has starting experience)
    3* Cody Gibson (rising Sr., has starting experience)
    3* Bryce King (rising Fr.)
    3* Will Sport (rising Jr.)
    2* Mason Zandi (rising So., huge measurables)

Incoming OL in 2014 Class:
    4* Donnell Stanley
    3* Malik Young

Picking up Prince would be a monumental addition to the roster...it would give USC 8 5*/4* OL prospects on the depth chart for the 2014 season...

USC has had some success developing OL. They have a quality OL coach in Sean Elliott who came to USC from the FCS ranks of Appalachian State, where (1) those schools typically have to work to develop their talent, and (2) at the time App. St. was not a program that settled for mediocrity at it's level.

The 2010 class in terms of OL position was the first class that turned around the woeful OL position that former OL coach John Hunt allowed to wither and digress into a poor FCS level depth chart. First came Eric Wolford for one year in 2009, then Elliott in 2010...
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Everyone needs to realize that coaches can only recruit a player so hard. Or else it'll be annoying and unnecessary as those recruits also have 5 other schools trying to communicate with them and the coaches understand not to overdo it.

As far as Yodny, this guy seems like a Huge sleeper. Excellent frame, wide shoulders, long arms. He's not chubby like most lineman. 265 pounds of solid muscle. Don't forget this is his first year of playing football, so I would assume he has a high ceiling of talent with plenty of developing to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Since it appears Angus will have to go the prep school route, maybe our staff already knew or saw this coming and lined up Cajuste for a potential big man replacement.
  8. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Nonsense, if anything they're more common than ever; during last year's draft everybody that was covering it kept alluding to the fact that 3 of the first 5 picks were 2* or lower players when recruited out of high school.

The #1 overall pick was OT Eric Fisher from Central Michigan - No rating, no ranking, 2* OT. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Eric-Fisher-86663

#3 pick, DE Dion Jordan was ranked as a 4* out of hs... as a TE. http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...ordan-60682;_ylt=AoJ8p8UNJrqPKpmMuaDDSMtIPZB4

#4 pick, OT Lane Johnson, was an unranked, unrated, 0* 6'6" 200 lbs. QB coming out of hs. http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...hnson-65014;_ylt=AlBqCHQXIPqgh28vph8jjetIPZB4

#5 pick, DE Ziggy Ansah, didn't even play football in hs, didn't even try out for the BYU football team until after he'd been cut from the basketball team twice, and walked on. His name isn't even in any of the recruiting service databases, except 24/7 who added it from a story about the NFL draft. http://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-First-Rounders-who-were-two-star-prospects-127935
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I like 4* and 5* talent, I'm just saying don't fall in love with the *s. If a kid has just played one year of FB, he will only get better. Hate to say it but I'll defer to the coaches and if they offer, I'm fine with it. Guy looks the part for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    I noticed that none of those guys went to UF and that only two were OL. That's a random sample of great players picked up by smaller programs that had no choice but to look for diamonds in the rough. UF's recruiting process focusses on competitive programs in competitive states and players who distinguish themselves in those environments. It's an entirely different process and mindset. One important distinction is that among those programs, the players mentioned might be the only ones drafted. The success of our program within our conference is predicated on finding and developing enough players to send six to ten to the NFL every year. We can't afford to take the same chances those programs take. Not unless we continue to play like we did this year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    I was good with "Trust the coaches" until a couple of years ago. I'm getting better with it, but Will took a lot of early commitments his first year that were clearly not UF material. I'm hoping these last few offers aren't of the desperation nature. As far as OL, we need at least a few players who can develop early. That's what I like about Prince and Mike. If our new OL coach this he can turn this kid into a stud, that's fine with me, but let's not run out of ships by signing guys who aren't likely to contribute until they are fifth year seniors. Unless of course they are Travis McGriff.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    Most of the new offensive ships are coming from Roper and most of them are "if so and so doesn't commit" type of offers. I think its good to have bodies this year and Muschamp knows he only has one year to make it happen.
  13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Oh, I think it's much simpler than all that... some of those guys' potential went unrecognized by both the recruitotainment sites and the majority of coaches.

In fact, 2 of them got drafted at positions they didn't even play in high school; and a 3rd didn't even play football at all. He had only ever played basketball and run track; when he finally walked on at BYU in his 3rd year at the school, he was learning football for the very first time in his life.

It's impossible to project with flawless accuracy, and every year dozens of players are either undervalued or overrated. It will always be that way to a certain extent, because the recruitotainment sites don't weigh many things that aren't measurable, like heart, work ethic, intelligence, family life, leadership, incentive/motivation, etc.. Those are things coaches attempt to identify by establishing relationships with the athletes and their loved ones. Recruitotainment sites will never be able to get that close to these kids and discover those things like a coach.

They can tell you about an athletes body, but not his heart and mind; and that's why any coaches worth their salt don't rely on internet recruiting sites to determine who they'll offer scholarships to. Often the sites and most coaching staffs arrive at the same conclusion; but not always, and when they don't it's probably best to defer to the coaches, because only the coaches know why they want a specific prospect for the program... since they spend so much more time with the kids, they may see a little something others miss.

One of my favorite Muschamp quotes was in response to a reporter's question, "How much consideration does the staff give the recruiting rankings when evaluating prospects?"

“Absolutely no consideration at all,” Muschamp said. ” We commit most of our guys before they ever come out so maybe they look at our rankings.”

Thank goodness he said that, because professional coaches don't use amateur services designed to entertain fans in order to identify talent. If your coach is using Rivals to recruit for your program, it's in some deep doodoo. Any coach who has extensive experience at the very top of collegiate ball, as well as the NFL, can obviously identify talent and potential much better than some e-jockey couchcruiter. If those guys at Rivals or Scout were in demand, they'd be on collegiate staffs somewhere making 5-10 times their current income.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +976
    If you're trying to argue that there are misses by recruiting sites I don't think anyone would argue. There are misses by HS coaches, college coaches, recruiting services, NFL coaches, NFL scouts, and draft experts. It seems as though you're singling out the recruiting services when there appear to be just as many misses on the part of other people.

Nobody would argue that coaches should spend time looking at what the recruiting services say. However, that doesn't mean that a fan can't look at the recruiting rankings and a recruit's offer list and wonder just what the coaches see in the prospect that no one else does.

Also, while there are individual misses there is no doubt that recruiting services are quite accurate when viewed in context of the whole picture. Top rated recruiting classes herald future on field success.
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,514
    Look, if we get this commit we are going to try to believe he's really a player at the next level. If our new OL coach can turn this player into a PLAYER I'll be impressed and amazed. There's usually a reason players go unranked and most of the time they just aren't as good as the top 50. Hope it works out though.
  16. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    I'm simply saying the amateur recruiting sites, those the fans watch, not the professional services that are sometimes hired by programs or franchises, are at the bottom of the trust totem pole. Those internet sites are primarily for fans' entertainment and to give fans an idea who might be in demand and who their program might be pursuing. They're not the kind of in-depth services a professional staff, college or NFL, might employ to aid in their recruiting.

They've always been for entertainment; I remember before the internet when Scout and later ESPN, put out their prospect information in magazines... it was for diehard fans' consumption; coaches did their own evaluations and assessments then too, and for good reason. As was stated before, there is simply no way these entertainment services can track and accurately evaluate, in depth, the thousands of prospects across this country every year.

They simply don't have the resources, as well as the access to the athletes and their families, to do what coaching staffs do. UF spent over $1 million recruiting for the men's programs last year, and it just included a very small sample of all the players available and some specific regions. A recruiting site has to evaluate all the players available that might be recruited by every team in every city and county in every state, for both football (125 teams) and basketball (345 teams). They simply don't have the ability to cover it all in detail, and to actually visit with every recruit.

And lots of people would argue whether or not coaches should spend time looking at these services; lots of people would argue there's no point in arguing because the best staffs simply don't do it. The Miami program was ridiculed some years back when it was learned that Shannon recruited off Rivals lists, and the criticism was probably warranted.

And while there is some correlation between the teams that regularly land Top 10 classes and NC's, NCG appearances, and BCS bowl appearances, those services still miss quite a bit on specific athletes. As I said, there will often be instances where the conclusions of the services and the conclusions of most coaching staffs align; they'll agree more often than not. But in those instances where a staff takes a chance on what appears to be a head-scratcher for most of the fans, the coaching staff is not only going to know far more about the prospect than the internet sites, they're obviously going to know far more about what they want from a specific player and what virtues that player possesses that don't make the stat sheets.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,641

Okay coach... We hear ya.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Only on internet forums do people mock good info, as if that makes sense to do. This 4-8 season must've really screwed with your head :)
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,514
    Hmm, interesting.
  20. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Though your point is well taken, none of them were pro bowl caliber (yet anyway), and Fisher has been a huge disappointment. For balance, I would've taken him over Joeckel had I needed an OT, but I could well be shown wrong. The four rookies to make the pro bowl (Long, Reid, Patterson, Lacy) were 3 stars or higher.