2014 OL Denzel Ward of IMG Academy, Bradenton FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator996, Mar 25, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/3/20/4126058/offensive-line-recruit-denzel-ward-florida-img-leader

Offensive line recruit Denzel Ward really feeling Florida Gators

Denzel Ward was one of the top offensive line recruits at the recent Orlando Nike Football Training Camp (NFTC). Out of the Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy, the consensus three-star checked in at 6'7 and 307 pounds, and performed well during the event. And before the event, he named the Florida Gators as his top team.

"My leader is Florida," Ward said. "It's their coaching staff, how they've connected with me and how they have a passion in recruiting me."

"And I mix really well with the recruits they have now. Me and Will Grier (Florida QB commitment) are really good friends. And we both plan to graduate in December, so if I make that commitment, that'll probably be my roommate."

"Two months ago I was 295. Now I am 307. I put on some great weight, and my 40-time went down. I was a 5.7 in January, and today I ran a 5.5," Ward said. "It got my mindset right. Every day is a work day, and you can't expect to have any copouts. I've been there and had stomach aches, and still had to go to the weight room at 6 a.m. Every day I am learning and it is just really preparing me for college. It's just a unique situation where they monitor everything we do."

Despite naming Florida his leader, Ward is receiving interest from many big programs, and he plans to visit them in the coming months.

"Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and I've been getting huge interest from UCLA, Texas A&M and Alabama lately, " Ward said. "I'm definitely trying to visit most of the schools on my list this summer. I'm trying to hit UF in the spring for sure. And I know by summer I am going to try to hit all the schools in the Midwest like Ohio State, Oklahoma, all those schools again."
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    I see him listed 6'8, 290. He must have a wingspan.
  3. lurkingator1

lurkingator1 -,~--~,< … Go Gators, Living among the savages Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,443
    He looked very good at the recent Nike camp down in Orlando, dominated the one on one's , huge upside I hope we get him!
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,567
    Was just reading about him on the Gator Sports recruiting blog and checked him out on 247. They list him at 6'8" 307. Can't hurt that he's at IMG. I don't know how they are at developing skills for football players, but they certainly know how to build kids up physically.

Our OT board is starting to shape up with Sharpe, Jamarco Jones, Reilly Gibbons and now Ward. Got a really good feeling about Jones. He's got a 4.2 GPA at a good school. I've read several times that he's transferring to a private school in Florida, but can't find any info on that now. Every article I can find lists him as a rising senior at De La Salle institute. I'd be fine if he stayed there. It's right next to the Illinois Institute of Technology, where my son is enrolled. If he's playing there next season, I can catch some of his games.
  5. stomp_and_chomp

stomp_and_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think you're spot on. You've mentioned the biggest names, in my opinion, that we are going after.

Denzel Ward is a lock. From the way he tweets back and forth with Will Grier, I think Ward sees what we got going on and he views it, overall, as a really solid option. He still has schools chasing him and I am positive he'll take his visits and shop his services... but at the end of the day, he has the option to come to Gville in the same class that seemingly has the next heir-apparent in Will Grier... couple that with the fact that DJ Humphries will be leaving when Ward should be coming into his own... Things are looking like they will easily swing in our favor. Not really worried about Ward at all.

BUT with Jamarco Jones and David Sharpe on the radar, it's easy not to have worries about Ward. Jones and Sharpe are both very solid. I'd be happy with either.

Reilly Gibbons, I think of more as a TE/OL. If he were to get on board, I think that's where we would put him. Even still, we are still recruiting him. This staff seems to like to take 1 of those types a year. Gibbons, imho, is fairly comparable to Colin Thompson his senior year.

We have what seems like 3 OG's already on board. I am almost expecting us to lose 1 of those by NSD. Travaris Dorsey will be the one that sticks.

We also still _NEED_ a top notch Center. We keep losing out here. Kublanow was the best option available for what seemed like years, and we lost out to Jawja. We need to find a diamond in the rough... Hopefully we already found him and we are just waiting towards the end so we don't blow up his recruitment.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    stomp why do you think Kublanow was so good? The actually gave the other guard IN the 2013 class the center position since he is EEING.

I would say Benjamin Knox is a tackle.

Never big on calling someone a lock if they are taking all 5 officials plus we are looking at other people

While Gibbons was a TE he is 275 now and will be 285 by the time he graduates that would be a GIANT TE.

They are looking at centers they offered the kid out of Virginia (forget his name) and if I am not mistaken Brian Allen from Illinois was suppose to visit yesterday. I read Corey Martinez can play center so maybe they will offer him after spring.

I would not be shocked to see Knox or Paul end up somewhere else. Paul is visiting Texas this weekend.
  7. stomp_and_chomp

stomp_and_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    You don't think Kublanow is good?? He is the best Center to come out of our area in awhile. Whether Georgia puts him at Guard instead of Center is their prerogative. Maybe they have that type of inside OL depth where they can pull something like that. Had he chosen the Gators, he would have been a Center and he would have saw early time.

With the guys we have on board and with the guys we are recruiting, I am inclined to think that Knox is an inside guy. We have bigger/better to put at Tackle.

Ehh, not big on calling someone a lock either... but he's that word for someone who moves away from home to the Gators backyard to attend IMG Academy and then decommit's from Michigan and then goes on to exchange tweets with our QB of the Future and then continues to tweet more about how good the Gators are. Whats that word??

Thompson was between 250-260 when he came in. Trevon Young was at 274. So really, Gibbons is 4 more pounds heavier than Trevon Young when he entered. He's a big kid and his weight will fluctuate. Fact of the matter is, he looks much better blocking and catching balls than he does as a outright OT.

I'm sure we'll land a Center this class. Not a Guard that looks like he might play Center, but more of a career Center. Martinez is still an option. A few weeks ago I would say its pretty much over to Notre Dame. but with all of their departures.... we'll see.

Also, KC McDermott will officially announce tomorrow for Miami.

And to clarify, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost _2_ of the 3 OL we have on now. It's more likely we'll lose only one, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2 were gone by NSD.

Also, the final OL number will probably be 6. A solid 6. Not counting Gibbons (as I slotted him as a TE on my board... so 7, if you counts Gibbons.)

:yes:
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Denzel Ward ‏@_DW75 10m
    I am officially committed to Purdue University, it's over.

I never really thought he was going to be in the class said it again in the Wynn thread yesterday.