2014 Gator Recruit : TE C'yontai Lewis of Northridge High School, Tuscaloosa, AL

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GATORAZ, May 23, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/38823/gators-add-sleeper-te-commitment

Gators add sleeper TE commitment

Looking ahead to the 2013 season, the University of Florida appears to lack any proven depth at tight end. On the roster now are junior converted defensive end Clay Burton, junior converted defensive end Tevin Westbrook, sophomore Kent Taylor and redshirt freshman Colin Thompson, who is coming off an injury. Florida hopes to have filled its tight end need for the 2014 recruiting cycle Thursday with an emerging talent who just happens to be teammates with one of the elite talents in the country.

Coming into this week, Cyontai Lewis (Tuscaloosa, Ala./Northridge) was off the recruiting map and without any offers. On Wednesday, Mississippi State extended a scholarship, and a day later Florida came through with an offer. Just a few hours later, Lewis decided he did not want to wait and secured his spot, calling coach Will Muschamp to give him the news.

"He was pumped up," Lewis said. "He said he was going to make a commitment to me to not recruit any more tight ends as long as I commit to him that I'm going there."

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound prospect likely had more offers headed his way soon, but he pounced on the chance to play for the Gators.

“I committed to Florida because I just feel like Florida is the place to be right now,” Lewis said. “Coach D-Lew [Derek Lewis] seems like he knows what he's doing with tight ends and I'm trying to go to the league after college and he says he knows how to get me there. And I'll be playing for a winning team, so I might as well go on and commit.”

With his size and receiving ability, the Gators’ coaching staff plan to flex Lewis outside on occasion to create mismatches against linebackers and cornerbacks.

“They want me as a hybrid tight end, where I can play on the line of scrimmage and then move out to the slot because I have good hands and good ball skills,” Lewis said.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    This makes much more sense, along with the fact that two of his teammates are now planning on camping at UF. I guess this is what we should call "niche" recruiting, getting players who perfectly fit specific roles in our offense who might not be considered high value recruits anywhere else. I guess that's why we're supposed to TRUST THE COACHES.
  3. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Non-existent. They probably are 19 years old, and one was injured. Give it time. :no:

Moreover, don't we have a jewel in the rough TE recruit who was a basketball player and signed late last year? Admittedly, we do not know what he can do, but one more name on the TE position.
  4. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    AMEN.

Amazed Coach still has to "win over" some of our fanbase
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    I wont be shocked if that changes or they tell him they are also going to take an H back
  6. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    215 pounds scares me- does he have the speed to be a big WR if he doesn't put on weight?
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    My gosh.

They were not developmentally ready to play last year, and one was injured. Guys, lighten up some. :roll:
  8. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Similar to Dallas Baker?
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    Two inches taller, almost 20 pounds heavier than Baker was in high school and not quite as fast. We'll probably try to utilize him much like we used Ingram who was not relied on much as a blocker, but could was a mismatch against LBs on deeper routes. He's about the same size Ingram was in high school, but an inch or two taller. FWIW, Ingram wasn't supposed to be very fast, but turned out to have excellent speed and athleticism for the position.
  10. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,506
    Coaches grabbed him for a reason.
  11. jewood592

jewood592 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,953
    I think you are on to something here
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    I am going to write about it in another thread but I think there are is a decent shot they take Torrence Brown as an H back when he visits with C'yontai Lewis and Bo. Adding those 3 players gives us a lot of formation versatility

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/415716/highlights/26302424
  13. Zanso

Zanso Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Do you think Cook is wavering or do we end the cycle with both bo and cook?
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    ummm I think there will always be pressure for Cook to go to Miami or other schools but he is solid right now. I have no clue how the Bo thing will play out its hard to believe a kid from that area doesn't go to Bama

There are other RB's they are looking at as well.
  15. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Cyontai and Torrence have been talking a lot lately I was meaning to post that. Torrence wants to be a gator and said the coaches want him to camp. Do not be surprised if bo is a gator with cyontai as well
  16. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Az, when are they supposed to visit?
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    FSU offered C'yontai Lewis
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,089
    My opinion, we don't end up with Bo because the pressure's too great to go to Bama, or he just ends up elsewhere. If I were a gifted, Bama-mold RB from that state I would likely go to Bama. BUT, maybe we show something this year that tells Bo and Cook we mean business and can run the ball... that's what I'm hoping, and maybe it works. Bama's a good place to be a RB if you're one of the best, Miami's not. I'd like to think we at least have what it takes to keep Cook.

AZ, I'm a little cautious about C'yontai. I think he's probably a good football player, but not a prototype TE frame and not likely a guy that's college ready for two seasons. Do you feel he's good enough to be our only TE? Also, I thought we might be looking for a class of 20ish this time around. Has that changed?

Seems like there's just not much room for reaches with a small class. I'm encouraged though by the fact C'yontai is getting more attention now, albeit from a staff that probably watches what we do to know who is a great prospect. :)
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,866

We dont need him to be ready in the next two seasons by the time he gets on campus Thomson has 3 years to play Kent Taylor has 2 Butron has 1 Westbrook has 1 Trevon Young has 4. I also think there is a decent chance that one of Sherit Anzalone Rolin group goes to TE.

On the numbers they always work out if we need 25 spots we will have 25 spots. Right now I would say 22-25.

I think there is a good chance we take and H Back or ATH that could end up at TE

FSU offered a few other TE's people worry too much about which schools are watching each other.