2014 Gator Recruit : DT Thomas Holley 6-4 295 of Abraham Lincoln HS, Brooklyn NY

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Dec 10, 2013.

1. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
  2. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    kinda reminds me of Shariff

I've always felt our best defenses were elite at the DT......look what happened when we lost Easley. So we now have signed and have committed

Khahari Clark
    Caleb Brantley (on campus)
    Thomas Holley
    Gerald Willis
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    HUGE pick up and surprise. This could be one of the best D- line classes in Gator history!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorCrazy11

GatorCrazy11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    That's a big boy. With some work on his technique, he could be an absolute run-stopping force.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,382
    I think Willis probably goes more SDE, or flex SDE/3 like Bullard has done, but agree with you overall.

Also Bostwick and Riles in the mix at DT. Feel much better about our DL for the next few years with this class.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    If Willis has that first step like Easley had, he can play both spots, but he's built more like a DT than Bullard was coming in. I think Bullard will develop into the ideal SSDE if he doesn't have to move inside to replace another injured DT. Hopefully we'll have enough players who are just right at all four DL positions that we don't have to put square pegs in round holes or put extra weight on natural DEs to turn them into DTs.

I'm with Oaktown on Riles and I expect Bostwick to surprise a lot of people this spring. He didn't come in with the hype, but has the same type of athleticism as Floyd.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,382
    Good point on Bullard not needing to slide inside, if we have the bodies at DT, which we should have.
  8. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    Wow 2 wins for me today:

Missed the Holley flip, and the worst poster in the world. No offense gator75. You backed it up with documentation. I was hoping I could sneak that fastball by you... lol. Good call !
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Riles is someone that I think will be coming on next year.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    My mother in-law graduated from Lincoln High in Brooklyn. The list of alum from that school is amazing, three Nobel laureates, scads of great musicians, authors, actors. Check it out on Wikipedia. I wonder if Marv Albert, Neil Diamond and Harvey Keitel used to get together to push Neil Sedaka's head in the toilet.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    He is the physical prototype of the athlete we need up front on the strong side, quick, long arms, strong at the point of attack, but dangerous if he goes unblocked.
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Wrongtee!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    Actually, I am not so sure a quick first step matters out at the five technique. At the one technique in order to draw a double and at the three technique in order to blow up running plays in the backfield, sure. None of the big guys are ever going to be great upfield pass rushers, but we do a lot of specialty pass rush packages to mitigate that. The main thing is the ability to set the edge and turn running plays up inside, especially against spread offenses that don't have a tight end and thus you end up playing without a Sam to set the edge himself. As long as the strongside end can play contain and keep the quarterback in the pocket on first and second down play action passes, we can overcome the lack of pure upfield pass rush through our specialty packages, our middle and corner pressures, and hopefully some good play from the Buck--another reason why finding someone for that spot is so essential.
  14. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    DT is an easy position for us to recruit because of how often Muschamp rotates the position. Everyone gets plenty of playing time.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  15. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    I will defer to your expertise on this subject. I didn't quite understand what our defense was trying to do with the pass rush, except for Fowler and the occasional corner blitz.

Agree completely that we need a Buck. People keep arguing with me that we are set. I see some potential there, but that position requires a rare blend of size, natural athleticism, agility and instincts. There usually aren't more than three or four prospects in the country that look like they can play that position for UF. Even if you get one, developing him is still a crap shoot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ufngineer

ufngineer Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I mentioned this in another post yesterday regarding Rivals rankings. 5 star on Rivals only means the player is top 25-30 in the country. The more important number to look at is the Rivals Ranking and Holley is a 6.0. That's borderline 5 stars and the same ranking as Grier and Willis. Tabor is the only 6.1 in this class and 6.1 is the highest possible Rivals Ranking.

The other thing I always look at is the offers, even though they may be inaccurate since reported by the prospect. But Holley has offers from FSU, Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson and several others. This is a HUGE get.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Isn't Cox Jr a Buck guy?
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    Hardly an expert, but as I understand it we are far less interested in generating a pass rush in normal downs and distances, especially against spread teams. The plan in those situations is to stop the run without committing extra bodies to the box and a stout strongside end goes a long way towards doing that. Iff you have a dominant pass rusher, then great, but otherwise the goal wrt pass coverage on early downs is to mix your coverages on the back end, contain the quarterback in the pocket, and get to him on coverage sacks. When you get to certain pass rush situations, then you can use your faster line packages and send your blitzes.

True. You don't necessarily need a hybrid 3-4 linebacker/rush end for the defense to work, but it sure as hell helps if he can drop back into coverage on a running back in the flat or into a middle zone, yet still be able to rush the passer. I thought Lerentee McCray was great in that spot as a senior. He wasn't an elite talent by any stretch and he was still effective because he could do different things. If Matt Rolin ever gets healthy, I am excited about his prospects there.