2014 Gator Recruit : ATH Deiondre Porter 6-1 185 of Jefferson HS, Tampa FL

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Tolbert1906, Jan 20, 2014.

1. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    If we use him in the Wildcat, at least let him throw once in a while. The whole point is to keep the defense honest...something we haven't been able to do with the wildcat in its current application.
  2. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    My question is why is he a three-star? A big CB, good sized WR, and athletic QB with track speed would be a no-brainer for at least a four-star right? That is the very definition of versatile player. Also, he has very good stats...I guess I don't understand the ranking system.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    IDK exactly. As a QB, he's not a great passer (mechanics and how quickly the ball comes out), so he won't get 4* as a pure QB.

And he hasn't been playing WR or CB, has he? If not, he has to develop and it's tough to tell how that will work out. While he has good speed, he's not a burner, so he won't get that star handed to him on shear athleticism.

I don't care about the star ratings, and he looks like a versatile athlete as you say. But there is certainly some unknown and some risk projecting him as a WR (or a CB); he could very well be a project.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    1500 rushing yards should put him slightly above "project" status. If he handled the ball well enough to be a QB, there's a good chance he can catch it. There's very little question whether or not he can do something once he has the ball in his hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    • Like Like x 3
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    He's a 3 star because he probably won't contribute immediately. He'll have to train at whatever new position the coaches put him at. And although he is a pretty good athlete, his statistics aren't so impressive that he could start at WR or CB as a freshmen and get by on pure athleticism.

That's kinda how they look at the ranking system sometimes. 4 star means, in some cases, immediate contributor, if not within one year, and that there is enough "talent" to be a major player if you have your head on right. 3 star means its more unlikely that you're an immediate game changer and you don't have elite "talent."

And, although it doesn't work out all the time, the ranking system is moderately decent at predicting these things.

Edit: I'm not complaining, I was just saying, I think that's how it works. I think he looks like a versatile player for UF right now, and UF can use all the versatile players they can get.
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    I composed this before checking slayer's post, and the link subtle_gator provided. I'll say that I agree with slayer on Porter being a versatile player we can use on our team. If nothing else, CB sounds like a very real option for him based on that link.

He ran for 400 yards this year, but I agree with him being good with the ball in his hands.

Catching the ball as a receiver is not the same as handling it as a QB. Ball is coming at different speeds (sometimes very fast) and he's running while he's trying to catch it. There's no guarantee he'll be able to catch the ball consistently enough to make him a reliable receiver for us.

Let's assume he can catch the ball... that's not all you need. He needs to learn to run routes - understand whatever trees we install and read the defense to make the right decisions consistently, consistently get the right depth and timing on his routes, come out of his breaks quickly, get off jams, come back to the ball, play body position, effectively hand fight, find the ball in the air and run under it on longer routes, high point the ball on higher balls, get his footwork and body position right so he can make well timed plays on the ball... and probably other stuff I've left out.... like run blocking.

If he hasn't played WR at all, that's why I'm saying he's a project. Doesn't mean he can't do it, but we don't know how long it will take for him to get comfortable with all that, and with the speed of the game at this level.

If you compare him to someone like Lauderdale, I've seen all that on film... the only real question is how long it would take him to learn the offense and our route trees. He is a receiver that's otherwise ready to play as soon as he gets that (from what I saw in his highlights).
  8. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    He's a Gator now and is very welcome.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Based on a few of the posts it seems likesome guys think the number of stars (ancient thinking) represents everything a playersh has to offer. Ever heard of hard work,talent and coaching making an All American oiut of a so called three star player? Rating systems by recruiting sites mean something but not everything.
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    I agree, and don't mean to come off negative towards him. Hope I didn't.

Porter looks like a very good athlete, and somebody we could go to as a wildcat QB, or if we have injury problems at QB again. That's something he could do to contribute right away and really help the team. Stars be damned.

I just don't think we should expect this guy (or anyone) to start contributing quickly as a WR if he's never played the position before. Most frosh aren't ready as it is, even having played a lot in HS. Realistically, it could be year three before we see him on the field much in that role. Hope he proves me wrong though. I'm sure he'll work his butt off to do just that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,132
    We need bodies at receiver and this kid has the speed and ball skills that fit nicely. If he doesn't work out at receiver, then he still has a nice upside at corner. Not a class maker, but a good developmental, depth, special teams kid in the short run.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    He is a Gator so good. But when we get a 4 or 5 star we go crazy. When we get a 2 0r 3, it is trust the coaches, and look 3-stars do turn out well. This is true. But i still bet that more 5 stars becomes real stars than 3 stars become real stars.
  13. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    I hope he is sure handed enough to return punts as a freshman. I cringe whenever we use a starter in that role
  14. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I competed against this guy in track and he sure has some speed and explosiveness. 10.5 speed!! That's good enough to compete with d1 track sprinters. But seeing as he's recruited as an athlete, I'm sure there's a greater learning curve for whichever position the coaching staff decides for him to play at
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Good info. Didn't realize he was that fast... he shows a personal best of 10.98, but maybe that's out of date? Either way, he has very good speed with his pads on. That's what counts.
  16. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I read it off of his twitter, he tweeted to someone recently that he ran 10.5, I'm unaware of any official stats but just going off of what he wrote. But I would think 10.98 is outdated seeing as the track season is just starting up again.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    That is two POY commits on O with Powell and Porter. You can go with star rating from a recruiting service or on the fields of Florida staring against the best talent in the nation.

I prefer the POY over many other ways to rate players.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Tampa and Miami talent. Literally probably the two best recruiting areas in the nation
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,132
    I think there are two ways of looking at it. On the one hand, recruiting services (just like collegiate coaches) are trying to project where that kid will fit at the next level, which may or may not relate to their success as preps. In the case of Porter, you are dealing with a kid who won't be a multidimensional run-pass threat in college, but will have to find a position he hasn't played much to date. In the case of Powell, you are dealing with a prospect who is entirely undersized for the next level and will have a more negligible speed advantage over his competition, and is thus more likely to play a specialty role (returner, slot guy, option guy, third down back, whatever it is) than being a lead back.

On the other hand, though, I completely agree that you have to be blind to ignore the success some of these kids have had against really good competition. I mean, Powell averaged ten yards a pop against Broward competition and essentially never left the field. What will he do after some time in the weight room, more opportunity to focus on playing a single position, picking up aspects of the offense more appropriate to his skill set, etc.? Same thing for Porter. The kid did everything for his team and they only lost two game all season long, both to the best program in the area (Armwood). That kind of athleticism, competitiveness, and obvious skill level may not project directly to collegiate success at a single position, but if he finds a position--whether as an option quarterback, slot receiver, wide receiver, or corner--there is no reason to think he won't outstrip his rating by miles.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    As a wide receiver, it is worrisome, first Lane a 5-star then Lauderdale a 4-star now we replace him with a three star who seldom played the position. He might turn into a great one but we need help NOW! (especially at receiver). I think he is a back up to Harris, if we do not get him. Things change but it looks like plan B's at the end. McWilliams for Carter, Porter for Harris, that unranked tackle for Prince, and Mckensie for Lauderdale. All good picks down the road but after 4-8, we don't have down the road.