2014 Gator Recruit#24. : WR C.J. Worton of South Dade High School, Homestead FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 24, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Because he would easily be the alpha male of the group we got. At fsu IF they do get lane and somehow dupre Rudolph would suddenly be playing second fiddle to the hysteria surrounding cook, lane, and dupre. Here he would be the second highest (behind tabor) player in our class and a immediate contributor with his attention to detail with things like precise route running, great hands, and the other small things needed to be great.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    If your anything its persistent. Are you seriously still singing this same ol' tune. Keep trying it's sounds as if your starting to get through to yourself.

Honestly though have you personally watched both on tape?
    What stands out the most between the two? He is ranked based of of invitations to events like the opening, and UA game, which in turn gives one exposure. lane has a lot of upside, but is the work ethic, character, and drive there to live up to the hype? I've seen those three things kill a "elite" recruits career when they fail to posses those qualities.

If you are asking who we would prefer between those guys I would take worton over lane, because lane doesn't want to be here, plain and simple. Stop chasing the prom queen around the dance when she doesn't want to dance with you. I would take Rudolph over worton for sure but looks like from tweets, worton is helping us with that as well.

Do us all a favor and just try 1 day being optimistic and see if it helps you in your daily outlook, at worst it would t hurt.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Oak, help me out. I must be going crazy, have I not been saying this same exact thing? Lane avg. About 3 catches a game his senior and junior years and less his soph. In comparison, sousa had 100 rec. His senior year and 92 his Junior year, lane had 30 rec his senior and 30 or so his junior.

I know competition, teammates, etc. Factor into that but nothing can replace actual game experience with timing on passes, reading DB's body language, knowing where to sit in on zone coverage etc. With only less than 90 total rec. His whole hs. Career I'm afraid most of lanes hype is his potential
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    He big....He tall.....he has nice hair....and Cook said he real good ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    And also I hate to say it but how many "white" receivers are highly regarded or considered "elite". History shows that great white pass catchers are far and few between, so whether anyone wants to admit it, but that factors into a scouts evaluation, since most of that whole ranking process is mostly just projecting what a recruit will be based of of factors like height, size, hands, speed, bloodline, etc. Out of Riley cooper, wes welker, jordy nelson, Eric decker, Julian Edelman, Danny amendola, and any other white receivers not counting TE who was highly regarded coming into college. It's a bit unfair but the scout also play percentages when taking everything else into account.

What they don't take into account though is how a recruits skill set will mesh with the offense they go to. It's easy to imagine someone like Worton not striving in a pro style offense who doesn't use a "slot" wr, and his size would be a liability, but put him in a offense that utilizes the slot and the guy could be a match up nightmare, and his value would go up, therefor depending on the offense they are in he may be a 3 star, 4 star, or a 5 star.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    Yep, and that's sad too... because all you have to do is watch Worton play against the best defensive backs in the nation to see that he's a 4 or 5 star recruit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Time will tell. No one ever heard of wes welker coming out of high school, a decade in the pros and somehow he has more 100 rec. Seasons than anyone in the history of the game.
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Just remember " hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" talent alone will make you a star in high school, but talent void of the hard work will make you a after thought in college.
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    That all fine and good, but I'm talking about the scouts that don't know how to do their jobs in ranking receivers... receivers that aren't the usual types.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Some one here said it best. It's better to look at rivals numerical ranking than stars. Because a 5.7 I believe is a 3 star but a 5.8 is a 4 star. Same as a 6.0 is a 4 star like grier but 6.1 is a 5 star. IMO .10 of a point is not a difference really
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    I know. There are simply to many kids for the scout to properly evaluate, so the more exposure, and being talked up by coaches sometimes help inflate a recruits perception. Whereas a recruit not so hyped or didn't participate in things like the opening may not be evaluated by as many people. Every site has a different ranking as well as different heights and weights for a recruit. Shows that everything isn't correct because lane can't be 6'2 175 and 6'3 196 at the same time. Yet that's how 2 different recruiting sites have him listed.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,009
    The still should have had him anywhere from a 5.9 to a 6.1. But I see that they almost gave him 4 stars, which means they came close to where he should have been ranked all along.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    I believe he a legit 4 star. Not the best but certainly better than many.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Lane and Worton faced the same competition and Worton statistically out performed Lane by a long shot. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate the same way in college.

And they aren't going to play the same positions... Lane isn't a slot receiver. He's taller, uses his hands well to get separation when playing balls in tight coverage. He looks like a legit red zone threat due to his height and ability to make plays on balls. He has some skills. I just don't see him as a five star. He is not a field stretcher from a speed perspective... if you use him that way it's because you're confident throwing "jump balls". And he is reasonably quick out of breaks, but probably no more so than Worton.

As far as your other post wondering about ratings on white receivers, I have a couple of answers... one, there definitely appears to be some bias against white players in any skill position other than QB. Lane would probably be a three star if he was white, and if we just looked at his HS stats (and not video) we'd all be shaking our heads asking why he was being recruited.

There are white guys who come out very highly rated. I know Coop was one of them. Guys who are big, strong, and exceptionally fast will get highly rated regardless of their color. Coop was a four star on scout and rivals, listed as sub 4.4 40s on both sites with a 40" vertical, at 6'4", 220. Those are freak numbers... you could argue he might have been a five star if he was black, but he was still highly rated.

Worton is a player, but he just isn't one of those guys with the measurables that get people excited.

On the white/black thing, I still get a big laugh out of Driskel being rated the top pro QB prospect in his class, while Bridgewater was I think the 2nd rated dual threat QB. Just freaking ridiculous. Bridgewater should have been rated pro style all the way and JD as dual threat. Color of their skin is the only thing that really explains that.

A half century after the civil rights act, it's a shame these evaluators can't be a little more objective.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I agree with this.

I like 247 sports even better... you get two numerical ratings - one that is a composite rating across major services and 247's own internal rating.

Either way, you can see whether somebody is high or low within their star rating, and high 3 vs low 4 really doesn't mean that much.
  16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    I dont like it....:)only because 247 ranks us with 3 or 4 5 stars, but the composite ranks us with only 1 (tabor). Otherwise it's a great way to view them. I still don't get how they can come up with a consensus star rating among the sites but can't come to a consensus height and weight. Lane is listed as 6'2 172 on espn (I think) and on another site they list him as 6'3 196. I first noticed the disparity with sharpe. He is listed as 6'8 275 on one site and 6'7 300+ on another. You would figure this is the one thing they can realistically come to a agreement on. SMH o_O
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    On the Bridgewater/Driskel deal I agree. However, one of the ratings/evaluators said Driskel would have been number one in both categories but the service mandated they pick two different players. Why they picked Bridgewater as dual threat I don't understand.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I can't understand either call personally. They're both well outside the realm of grounded thinking.
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    Hahaha... Silly rabbit no one uses that anymore :confused:
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,425
    I came across this and didn't know where to post it, but it shows how brilliant Seminole fans are:)
    Bd438KhCAAE_bJF.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1