2014 Gator Recruit#24. : WR C.J. Worton of South Dade High School, Homestead FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 24, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,575
    I agree with this. Worton has some qualities about him that you can't deny, not the least of which s stepping up to make plays in championship moments. Very few people have that, regardless of how athletic they are.

With Worton, you're getting a guy that has shown that. He also has very good athleticism, in spite of how his 40 time is viewed. Runs pretty well, jumps pretty well, has excellent good body control, awareness, and great hands.

My only concern is whether in spite of those skills, the step up in competition will make it tough for him to get off the line and create space... and whether that will mean our QBs won't look for him. He would probably still make plays on the ball given the chance, but will he have a QB that trusts him that much and can reliably deliver in relatively tight spaces. That's not a given to me based on our QB play for quite awhile now. I could name quite a few QBs I would say he would be succesful with, but I haven't seen a Gator QB since Leak that fits that.

Of course, he can get faster and more explosive too. I think Louis Murphy was about his speed in HS, but left UF a 4.4 guy. I think Travis McGriff didn't get really fast till late in his UF career either.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    It's been so long since UF has had a breakout receiver, there's no telling what kind of skills or physical attributes it would take. We've had plenty of tall guys, fast guys, even tall fast guys, but nobody has dominated the position. With a great QB, OL and dominating RB, we might have three or four future first round draft picks at the position.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    Does it even matter? At this point I would put ol' hands of stone himself, clay burton at WR before wanting lane in this class anymore.

And worton also is from homestead south dade. Played lanes team and won, as well as played all the same competition, but posted better or as good stats as lane through their careers in H.S. and won state title.

Seriously, strip away the hype, and I wonder what made lane so Highly regarded. He has never reached 900 Yards receiving and hasn't ever caught more than 31 passes and 8 TDs in a season. And was actually slightly better his Junior year than his senior. In comparison. Ryan Sousa had as many catches his senior season as lane did his entire h.s career. Sousa had 1600 yards receiving his final season, lane totaled 1600 yards junior and senior years combined. If his hype is about his "potential" and measurables than couple that with his knack for rubbing people the wrong way than I am glad we found more productive receivers who WANT to be gators.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    As you were describing him I closed my eyes and just kept picturing wes welker. Remember welker wasn't welker at miami, but at new England in the right system he became legendary. The slot is great for creating mismatches. The slot wr is harder to cover up because of proximity to the qb and they can find the soft spot in zone coverage and exploit slower linebackers or safeties. With Roper's system, worton would be a thorn in a lot of teams side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    I can always count on you to pick the only rain cloud out of the entire sky and kindly position it over my head for a more Dreary outlook. Thanks for being consistent. ... i never like to be too excited.:)
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    To be fair, I'm not sure winston would have as good of timing or accuracy if he was throwing against sec corners and Defenses all the time either. When you look at some of the best corners and safeties coming out of college the last few years, a vast majority of them are from the sec. LSU has had really good ones, alabama, georgia, us, patrick peterson, tyran matheu, Eric reid, Dee milner, dre fitspatrick, Marcus roberson, Matt elam, Joe Haden, ahmad black . And many, many more.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    Wouldn't the term flip flopper indicates he flopped back after initially flipping? Just curious. :confused:
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,575
    Welker is pretty quick and uses that quickness to help get separation, but good points for sure.

And CJ appears to have better hands than Welker. :D
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +461
    I didn't say he didn't have talent. Every kid we recruit shows some talent on tape. He just doesn't look any different than the other receivers we've recruited that people claim aren't talented enough to take us to the top of the SEC.
  10. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    And I'm of the belief that quick and fast are not necessarily the same thing. And the highlights I had seen show him nabbing a few jump balls so he seems to be athletic enough.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    Maybe those who claim that were wrong to begin with and our offense just simply wasn't cutting it. Just a thought.
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Watched him The Opening and I was blown away. He was doing everything, running precise routes, timing his leaps perfectly, making great catches and great runs after the catch. He looked to me to be the best out there. But as many here have pointed out, seven-on-seven football will make some tall athletic WRs look like future Pro Bowlers. Then you put pads on him and allow real contact and real pressure on his QB, he turns out to be slightly above average.

I like Worton. Like Soussa even better. FYI, the 1600 yards was his junior season. I haven't seen numbers for his senior year.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Worton's a keeper, and I think the coaches like/want him too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Gee we had a 5 star in Lane lost him, then we had a 4-star (one of the best jr college wr) and we lost him. How we are going gaga over a 3-star that fsu is not trying to hold on because they need the room for Jackson and bigger fish. I am not saying he won't ever be good but we could sign a blind kid with no arms and some of you would say he is a diamond in the rough, or the rival, espn, etc. don't really know how good he is, or trust the coaches. But if he does sign then welcome Worton and make me look bad.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    First of all, I couldn't care less about what FSU thinks or does. Secondly, FSU is not getting Jackson.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatordude15

gatordude15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    So the common thought on Worton is......he has the technique and skills to play ball and has performed very well and been extremely efficient against HS opponents, but he may not have the physical tools to do the same against SEC competition?
    I understand he thought there, but I would still love to have him as an option for a productive receiver in this program. And maybe he doesn't perform well until his Junior/Senior seasons like David Nelson did. I'd still love to see him get his shot even if it means we have to wait to see the production.
    And screw star ratings, I know they are a good basis to go off of, but I always try and watch the film of the prospect and give my own rating to them, just as the staff does. I have him higher than a 3*, so I called Will and told him he's a take. You're welcome CJ.
  17. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    • Like Like x 1
  18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I'm a bit surprised no one mentions Doering as a comparison. I think white kids don't get the higher ratings because the perception that they are slower. The best WR ever, Jerry Rice was never called fast but like Emmit he was fast enough. Chris Doering, Welker etc are never the most atheletic guy on the field but I'll take em all day long. The kid has great #s against what most think is the best competition in HS.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    I did.
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,734
    Actually Fischer wants to keep him. Just a little tidbit! Also with that post, you don't need Worton to help you look bad ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1