2014 Gator Recruit#24. : WR C.J. Worton of South Dade High School, Homestead FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,973
    Yep, and they melded the private schools into the classification system so they didn't seperate the public from the private schools in sports...
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    From what I can tell and reported times, Coop is way faster than Worton. And significantly bigger and stronger.

Worton came up big against good competition so that proves something. To really excel in the SEC though, I think he might need a QB with the kind of consistent accuracy and timing that Winston has. I don't think he'll get the kind of separation that some QBs wait for in order to target a receiver. But with an accurate QB who trusts him, I think he could reliably make plays on the ball and be a solid possession receiver, and occasionally break some longer plays.

JMO based on looking at clips. If there are any clips of him going 1v1 against rising SEC level corners, I'd be interested to see them. Could certainly change my impression.

And I don't say this coming from a black/white standpoint. When I look at Moral Stephens I see basically a bigger, more physical version of CJ. Not very fast for a WR (probably neck and neck if you put them on the field together). His strength is using his body and athleticism to make plays on the ball, same as CJ. As a WR I don't think he'll get much separation against SEC corners. As a TE, Moral will probably create mismatches on LBs with speed, or nickels with size.

Again, JMO based on what you can glean from clips and try to project to SEC play. Not an exact science.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    i think CJ is the annoying slot reciever we need. he could be david nelsonish. I think he's a good route runner and 3rd down option
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Oak, the only problem is that Worton might redshirt and the following year, Winston will be playing in the NFL in all likelihood.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Definitely true... I'm just saying I think he would fit well with a real accurate QB that doesn't wait on recivers breaking open. Bridgewater would be another example. For a QB that won't throw unless there is separation (like TT for the most part), I am not sure how productive he will be against most SEC corners/nickels.

I am not saying he won't be productive... it's just less clear to me than with somebody like Lauderdale who is very quick out of cuts and strong against press coverage... or McKenzie who has great burst. Or Adoree of course.
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,062
    Would fsu care all that much if they lose Worton or would we be helping them make room for a more coveted prospect?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    so you only want him if fsu wants him?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,062
    I actually wanted guys ranked above him that we are longer in it for. Catching on?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I get it but if roper wants him then i want him:)
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Many of the FSU fans are hoping he flips so that they can get in on some other WR prospects but the supposed "insiders" are saying Jimbo still wants him. Who knows.
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,083
    What other receivers?
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,586
    CJ is no combine star. The only time I've seen for him has been 4.7-ish, so he's a little slower than Doering and a lot slower than Cooper and McGriff. On the flip side, he was #1 in Homestead in reception yardage with over 100o yards. #2 was Ermon Lane with about 700. My guess is that CJ is one of these guys who has a sneaky burst somewhere in the upper gears, runs great routes and knows how to get to the open spot and get the ball. We need that more than we need someone to brag about on NSD.

"Trust the coaches." Don't know why people say that when we don't have any other choice. The truth is, we know less about evaluating potential collegiate talent than even bad football coaches do. That said, I have complete trust in Coach Phillips. If CJ commits, it's because Joker thinks he will be productive in our system and help us win. Then my only concern is the number of WRs we're taking after taking so many last year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,083
    You almost have to believe the staff expects some receivers to leave
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    If they were in on a more "coveted prospect" why wouldn't they take them?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Javon Harrison (4-star currently verbaled to Virginia Tech) is the one most mentioned as a realistic option. J.C. Jackson and Malachi Dupre are the others, though they are longshots.
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    ESPN also lists Isaiah McKenzie as running a 4.56, so wouldn't put much stock into that. You look at Worton's tape from the State Championship game and he looks every bit as fast as the other athletes on the film, certainly faster than 4.7. On his twitter, he says his most recent 40 was clocked at 4.47.

If that was hand-timed, you could say he's more likely a mid 4.5/low 4.6. That's plenty fast enough for a guy with great hands, runs great routes and put up over 1,000 yards through the season and 150 in the big class championship game versus powerhouse Apopka.

And this won't embed but here are his full senior highlights, check out the footspeed on the touchdown run at :28 seconds (and the play after, a straight go route that he torches the secondary on): http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/3381741/highlights/119097375

On tape, he looks every bit as good a receiver as Lane. They're playing against virtually the same competition, though Worton's system seems a bit more sophisticated than Lane's high school, IMO
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Most claim that WR had been a position with talent issues and I don't see how CJ would change that. Looks like more of the same to me.
  18. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Talent and athleticism/measurables are not synonymous. If you watch this kid's senior highlight tape and don't see talent something's wrong
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,083
    I don't believe it was so much the talent level as it was the lack of a quality/healthy line, a QB that could get the ball to them, and to be honest coaching. The talent is there and this kid is legit as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,586
    Especially in pads in 11-on-11 Florida high school football. We all got psyched about Lane watching him in The Opening, but that's not a very physical game. I think Worton's ability to separate from defenders with less size and speed indicates some talent a physicality that's harder to measure, unless you're a scout or coach.

He might only be a possession guy, but you never know. He has really good feet and awareness. I don't eighty yard catch and run plays, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get twelve extra yards after the catch on a few occasions.
    • Agree Agree x 1