2014 Gator Recruit #23: QB CB Treon Harris of Booker T. Washington HS, Miami, Fla.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GatorCrazy11, Feb 5, 2014.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Taj Boyd and Marcus Vick did OK. Don't forget Russell Wilson and Rex Grossman. I'm sure there are others I'm not listing like Drew Brees.

Yes, taller is preferable but rare talents excel, even if they are only in the 5'11-6'1 range. I find it hard to believe anyone can watch Treon Harris' highlights and not think he has what it takes.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Don't really agree that it met our needs. Defensively, yes. Offensively, on the line and at QB. But not across the board. We need game changers at TE and WR, and we ended up with role-players in both cases. There's no one on the roster who will stretch the field, and no one in this class who will do it either.
  3. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,805

2014 Gator Recruit #23. :
    QB CB S Treon Harris 5-11 170 of Booker T. Washington High School, Miami, Fla.
    Signed Letter of Intent.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    Not to be difficult, but doesn't this appear a lot like the 2011 class situation (Driskel & Brissett)? I understand that its great to have top quality QB's, but all these guys believe they can play now. Now Jeff has 2 years of eligibility left... If he leaves after next year, Grier and Harris will battle it out for the starting position (yes, I've purposely left Skylar out of this discussion) after red shirting this season. Sounds like 2012 all over, except for the red shirting! And while that was a great year on the field for the Gators, we did end up loosing Brissett after that season to transfer. While I'm sure Harris believes he's better than Grier, the odds are better for him if he were to go to another major program where he's the heir apparent. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're both Gators, but the logic of why, escapes me.

To put this more in my frame of reference, I just saw that a Top 10 kicker from the 2014 class has committed to UT. Funny thing is, a second kicker (52 ranked) also committed as a WO! Now, the #10 kid is from TN and the other is from MS! Unless that second kid really wants to go to UT for his education, his chances of seeing the field is very slim at best! BTW, UT did take a punter (#14) in this class as well...
  5. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    CB!!!!
    I thought he wanted to play QB.
    He's a great player and he could be a Russell Wilson.
    Nice pick up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    You are totally right all is lost, we whiffed, our recruiting sucked. Hell why even play, we can just crown Alabama the next NC, because of recruiting rankings. You are making a classic mistake here, masturbating over rankings, a poster here hit it right on the head, this is very subjective and there is not a huge difference from 3 to 10 or 2 to 5. Your Percy Harvin argument is sophistic, it does NOT validate a damn thing. Would Roper's Duke team have put up 40 on us this year?..hell yea and that was when we had lots of 4 stars on the field. Its about player development, discipline and SOME God given talent. Lots of kids have 4.4 speed, great moves and look good as their 2A team smashes some hapless opponent with "Academy" in the name. Its another thing to be good at the collegiate level.

The OP was right on Treon is the real deal..you know I'd take him over Grier, North Carolina football is not Miami football.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,339

Percy was formidable, but there wasn't a Percy out there this year and probably won't be for another 20 or so.

Good as he was, he was not what he was without Tim.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    My point was that the difference between 2 and 4 (or 5 and 8) could be one or two players that make the difference between winning a NC and not.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    The key was Percy (and TT)... not the overall ranking. I'm sure we could have dropped several other recruits and still won those same championships as long as we had Percy and TT.

That does point to the argument of people wanting to get another Percy type of explosive player on offense. We didn't do that in this class, and it's very seldom that any team lands a player his caliber.
  10. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,805
    Little confusing to me as I checked 3 different sources and each one has it different:

CB QB and S.

So, who knows.
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Adoree' Jackson...
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. GornGator

GornGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I am completely amped about both of these guys signing with UF. I have faith in Roper to do what he wants to do with both of them. Would really like to hear Muschamp talk positively about offensive play philosophy in his interviews. All I want to see is a CONSISTENT and OPPORTUNISTIC offense that can move the sticks and SCORE, SCORE, SCORE, and SCORE some freakin' more! SO SICK of trying to win TOP....... Give me 35-50 points a game and let our D crush opponents. If you are gonna recruit 4-5 star guys, let them make plays.

Great group of recruits this day!
    GO GATORS!!!!
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    I'm with you... Treon Harris is the real deal.

I think you're talking about Michael Vick though. Marcus was talented but even more trouble prone than Michael (until he cleaned up his act). Never did much because of it.
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    I'm sure he can play defense, but Treon needs the ball in his hands on offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,948
    I like that Grier will have some competition at the QB spot. Should make them both better unless TH is content moving positions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,899
    Muschamp mentioned him as a QB in the presser and on his interview with ESPN.
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,861
    We might get a two man QB rotation for all we know.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Roper used two at Duke.
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    How they handle the two should be determined by what kind of offense they run, right? If they decide to run a one QB system then I would think the best man gets the job. If one QB is alienated then so be it. If Harris turned out not to be Roper's best option maybe he plays another position on offense. Everyone knows we need the competition and depth. I'm glad we took two QBs and hope Harris finds a way on the field if he doesn't win the job.
  20. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    Exactly right.

Harris is quite capable of winning the starting QB job, but if he doesn't and is either in a rotation (situational), in a "slash" role, or moves to another position, I am pretty sure he'll find his way on the field. He is an electric, versatile athlete and a leader. We can't have too many guys like that.