2014-15 Roster is posted at Gatorzone

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Aug 31, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The roster is here:

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php

Measurements of note to me are:

1. Chiozza is listed at 6'0" the same a Taurean Green. I was certainly hoping he was not troublingly short and he isn't. He is not nearly as short as listed maybe based on old measurements.

2. Robinson is listed at 6'8" and 178 lbs. He is bit on the light side as expected.

3. Horford is listed at 6'10" and 245 lbs. I think we have our center.

4. C.Walker is listed at 220 lbs. Not huge but certainly a step in the right direction weight wise.

5. Egbunu is listed a 6'11" and 266 lbs. That would make him UF's biggest post player since I think Noah.
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    I think we're in good shape, size-wise.
    I was worried that Chiozza might be another Jai Lucas, too slight of build to amount to much. No worries any more...he's grown.
    Horfy gives us the size at center we need when facing a beefy line.
    Walker has gotten to a decent weight. He's never going to be an aircraft carrier, but we'd lose his amazing athleticism if he got that big.
    Egbunu is going to be a star next season.
  3. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    That'd be great IF Chiozza was 6ft. Not sure I'm buying it yet, he measured in at 5'10 at the LeBron camp in 2013.
    I was surprised to see BD2 on the roster, I thought he was done.
    I wished there were statuses listed, I'd like to know where Carter & Graham stand health wise.

BD2 & Horford are only SR & above players on the 17 man roster.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    Chiozza most likely is smaller than 6 feet tall, and the benefit to us is that we should have him for 4 years.
  5. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Kurtz is on that roster. I thought that he, like Donovan II, had graduated, but they list him as a Junior.

Robinson, at 6'8" and 178 lbs is so scrawney that a strong wind might blow him over. Who had him playing the 4?

When you realize that the guys who will likely play power forward for the Gators this year range in weight from 218 (Finney-Smith) to 225 (Murphy), and that a 220 lb guy will likely be playing Center a lot, this is nor a very fearsome team down low, and particularly when going against Monster front lines like Kentucky will field this year (again).

Clearly, a speed based team, so hopefully Carter and/or Graham will be healthy enough to contribute so we can see BillyBall again.
  7. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    Interesting stuff. If you mean by height, then yes, biggest since Noah, who was a hair under 7'. I was curious also to check biggest by weight. Noah topped out at 230. Chris Richard was 250 as a senior and Speights 255 in his final (sophomore) year. Haslem topped out at 265 as a junior before weighing in at 246 as a senior.

The only one bigger I found was Mario Boggan at 313 pounds his freshman year. He got a lot smaller (and a lot better) at Oklahoma State, where he was 235 his junior year.

By the way, the tallest Gator - Big Dwayne Schintzius - was 7-2 for the Gators and weighed 293 pounds at an all-star game after graduation, although this was considered well above his ideal playing weight.
  8. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Da Meat Hook had to be pushing 300, no?
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    What exactly is "Billy Ball" you are talking about? Is it running up and down the floor jacking up 3-s hoping that enough go in? Party like it's 1999 again?

I hope we never have to see that again. You do that when you are undermanned and have some shooters. It is fun to watch and often pulls surprises, but when your team has an off night shooting it ain't pretty.

I have been extremely pleased with playing at a slow pace getting good shots and grinding the other team on the defensive end. That has led to 3 Elite 8's and a Final Four in the last four years. I really like that version of "Billy Ball" better and have no wish to revert to the earlier version.
  10. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I think when people say "Bill Ball" they mean playing a 9 or 10 man rotation and pressing all the time. It is just hard to have a 10 man rotation in part because it is hard to have 10 healthy capable players at one time. Also it is hard if they do not get a lot of minutes for the frosh to round there way into the rotation.

So with the current roster of 13, UF has one guy, Egbunu, sitting out under the transfer rule, another guy, D.Walker, sitting out with a medical redshirt and 3 frosh who may or may not be able to get enough minutes early to get the experience to play in the SEC.

So UF has 8 guys who might be rotation players. Some we know are players, ie Frazier, Hill and Finney-Smith, some we know will get the minutes based on their recruiting status, C.Walker, some how can contribute after transferring, Horford and Murphy, but who played limited roles at their prior school, and some we hope have bounced back from injuries, Graham and Carter. UF fans can also hope that one or two of the frosh are ready to play this year, but that is hardly a given.

I would say that the D.Walker injury really hurts the chance of "Billy Ball" this season. He was is an excellent defender with a wide wingspan and he could play potentially 3 position allowing for the flexibility to press more.
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    We haven't seen that in a long time and I don't think that we will see that much again in the future.

If we do see it it means that we don't have a very good team and that is the only way to be competitive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Instigator, like your analysis. Believe Chiozza plays a major roll as the backup PG and Robinson, with a little added weight could also see extended minutes, he's that good!
  13. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Oh yes, also hated to lose Devon Walker. This is a kid that has improved each year, adding size and strength. Believe he was going to be a nasty defender with his length at 6'6" and long arms and an offensive player developing a nice 3 point stroke who could also be very effective inside. Hope he comes back next season better than ever! A perfect example of Billy's player development skills.