2014-15 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by EastTNG8TR, Feb 6, 2014.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I have done a thread on potential recruits for a few years now. I wanted to post this one sooner but hadn't gotten around to it. Currently we have 2 graduating from a 10 player roster and I am subtracting one more (I can't help but think Mercer probably won't be back). That leaves us 7 plus 4 freshmen next season with Lewis as the only senior. We should have 4-5 available scholarships (15 available though most teams stay in the 12-13 range). Here is a breakdown of the roster, as it currently stands, AFTER next season....
    1. Cassie Peoples(SR), Carlie Needles(SR), Isis Young(SO)
    2. January Miller(SR), Dee Anderson(SO)
    3. Antoinette Bannister(SR)
    4. Ronni Williams(JR), Brooke Copeland(SO)
    5. Viktorija Dimaite(RJr/So?), Haley Lorenzen(SO)

I think there are possibilities still out there that can change that lineup. I will start with them as they could be on roster next season.

Briahanna Jackson, 5'4 PG originally from Tampa. Left UCF just after the second semester had started. Sophomore...not sure if she would have to sit out a whole year or just half so 2-2.5 years of eligibility remain. Conference USA Freshman of the Year in 2012-13. Scored 28 against UConn this year...most any player had scored on them all year. I have seen her highlights....small but very good player.

Jocelyn Mousty, 6'3 F/C originally from Indiana. Rated the number 3 JUCO player in the country and is playing in UF's backyard at Santa Fe CC in Gainesville, FL. I'd love to have this girl especially with Dimaite coming off consecutive ACLs. She is a freshman so 3 years of eligibility remain... not 100% sure if she can sign this year or not though. Depends on if she is at Santa Fe because of academic issues or not from what I understand.

Dominique Powell, 6'2 F/C Sophomore at Gulf Coast State. Rated as the number 9 JUCO in the county. Florida and NC State are the two teams I have seen that she is considering.

Sinclaire Cunningham, 6'1 W/F Sophomore at Kishwaukee CC in Illinois. Number 5 JUCO...very versatile. UF, Houston, Memphis, So Illinois....and I am sure there are more.

Tiffany Lewis, 5'8 Freshman Guard at Chipola. Full qualifier so she can sign this year. Originally out of Middle TN where Amanda recruits well. She is a "shooter" and highly sought after. Has offers from Clemson, Pittsburgh, Va Tech, Rutgers...and UF has at least shown interest.

On to the high school ranks.... these are girls that are either in-state and highly ranked, are geographically close, in areas Butler is known to recruit heavily(Middle TN), or have had some form of social media interaction with UF coaches. Rankings given are for Hoopgurlz, BlueStar, FullCourt, and ProspectsNation...in that order. ** Note that it is early and some of these only have a Top 50-60...others have a Top 100. Also, stats and positions vary from site to site.**

Jonell Williams, 6'2 F/P from Palatka, FL..... UR(11th at position), 25, UR, UR.....She will be ranked highly by the time everyone gets them out IMO...Big Gator fan....loves Amanda...Michigan seems to be in the picture but Florida has to be the favorite here.

Zada Williams, 6'1 C from Babson Park, FL.... UR(but number 1 at position/null???), 14, 45, UR..... lists Florida, FSU, Miami, Baylor, Va Tech, Ole Miss, UNC, Clemson, Auburn, and Wisconsin

Jamasha Jackson, 5'11 W from Murfreesboro, TN... 43, 6, UR, 23... my personal number 1 want in this class... has visited and interacted with UF staff a fair amount...seems to be somewhat of a Gators fan at least... also good friends with another prime UF target who happens to be her teammate in Top 10 2016 PG Crystal Dangerfield (I think these two end up teammates again in a few years at a lucky SEC school)... lists UF, UGA, UK, LSU, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, among others

Beatrice Mompremier, 6'4 C from Miami, FL.... 38, 12, 27, 35... highly rated and while I am sure UF will make a play for her, Miami has to be a favorite as the hometown school. Luckily their season is not going so well so who knows...

Crystal Primm, 5'9 G from Wellington, FL... 22, 26, 39, UR... another highly rated player, but again probably in Miami territory here.

Destinee Walker, 5'9 G from Orlando, FL.... 60, 73, 40, 26... great player in a good area for UF... some connections to January Miller, Ronni Williams, Jonell Williams, Sydney Searcy, etc.). This is the part of the state where UF has a chance to really start shining when it comes to recruiting. I have seen posts on an UGA board that think they are a major player, but UF has to be right up there as well. All speculation at this point...

Ayanna Mitchell 6'1 F from Conyers, GA.... 45, UR, 42, 39

Caliya Robinson 6'3 F from Marietta, GA... 11, 10, 17, 30

Shakyna Payne, 6'4 P from Acworth, GA... 55, UR, UR, UR

Paris Lawson, 5'7 PG from Murfreesboro, TN... UR, 39, UR, UR

Taja Cole, 5'7 PG from Richmond, VA... 17, 44, 16, 14

Hallie Thome, 6'4 P from Chagrin Falls, OH... UR(11th at position), 35, UR, UR

Aliyah Mazyck, 5'9 PG from Charlotte, NC.... UR(16th at position), UR, 37, 48

Ryderiah Rogers, 6'2 F from Durham, NC and teammate of Aliyah Mazyck... 41, 95, 36, UR

Of course there are some names out there that the coaches have on twitter but as of now they don't list UF... Arike Ogunbowale, Naphessa Collier...and others that are the consensus Top 10 or so players that all look at UConn, Notre Dame, Duke, etc... and there are many more I am not aware of... I'd never heard of Isis Young til she burst onto the scene last year. Hopefully it is a good starting point for some recruiting discussion though...anyone who has more will hopefully add to the list.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Can already scratch one off.... was hoping they might not offer but UT offered and got Jamasha Jackson.
  3. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Has there been any definitive news on whether or not Alhassan plans to play bball?
  4. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    When I was at a game earlier this year I had heard Alhassan? I don't know how to spell it. But they expect her to play basketball next year after volleyball season. I watched her film and she is incredibly athletic. But don't know if she is actually going to do that. I fully expect the Palatka Williams to be at UF. We might go from very low numbers on the inside to being very well stocked down low. My son is very good friends with Mayzk from Charlotte. She is very good and plays for great program here. While we push UF all the time to her I bight doubt she will be a Gator.
  5. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I really hope Alhassan plays. From what I understand she could have been a Top 10 caliber recruit in basketball. Great height...incredible wingspan...great athleticism...with a little strength and development she could be incredible.
  6. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I really hope UF pursues Briahanna Jackson.... Isis Young tore her ACL in January. Peoples and Needles as PG options are fine and January could probably play some there if need be....but Peoples has had injuries throughout her career, plus most of our guards are in the same class. It wouldn't hurt to add some depth and class balance at the position.
  7. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Don't think there is any way Jackson could play next season - she'd already have to be enrolled to be eligible in January and I can't think of any reason she'd be eligible for a waiver. Not that we still shouldn't go after her - she is good!

And that's disappointing for Young, but this is enough time that she should be healthy again by November. Might be limited a bit in preseason, but barring an injury to Peoples, I can't see us looking for more than 5-10 minutes/game from her next season anyways.
  8. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Ok heard today that we are trying to get another big and pg next year. They want Needles to play off the ball more probably. Maybe Young won't be available next year? We just need more heigth also. Today just emphasized that even more. Williams is a 3/4 and Lewis is really a 2/3
  9. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Mousty and Jackson... That's been my guess for a while. Mousty for sure.
  10. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    We have needed inside size for a couple of years now.
  11. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    It will be nice to have some size. Hopefully we add Mousty to the fold. That would give us 4 players (5 if Alhassan plays) with the size to play the 4/5. I think the best part of that is being able to move Kayla and Ronni to their natural positions and actually being a rather "big" team next year.
  12. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I also wonder what ever happened to Brittany Jackson. She considered UF....ended up at GaTech and had a fantastic freshmen year...transferred to Rutgers but never ended up going there... She should be eligible for someone next season.
  13. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Well, if Viktorija Dimaite ACL's would hold up, she would be a nice tall addition. Really feel sorry for her. In two years she has been able to log zero court minutes due to ACL injuries.
  14. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Add Dominique Powell of Gulf Coast State to the watch list 6'2 F/C as well as Tiffany Lewis at Chipola 5'7 Guard.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  15. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    I read where Alhassan had made to final cut of McDonalds game before being cut from list. Honestly she looks like a better basketball player then volleyball. But she is a ridiculous athelete
  16. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I think Alhassan's best future would be basketball. Even her high school coach told her as much, but volleyball is her first love. She will likely play both at UF but her effectiveness may end being based on how well she can transition...she will be playing volleyball during the fall when the team is practicing and even the first half of the season.
  17. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Edited to add 3 to the JUCO possibilities and 1 to the 15's. As soon as I figure out how to strike out text without my phone going crazy... Jamasha Jackson(UT) and Taja Cole(Louisville) are off the board.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Powell is on her visit to UF...at the men's LSU game at the moment...Hope we can get a commit soon!
  19. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    She picked a great game to see
  20. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Powell committed to Va Tech on her visit this weekend. Tech must have something working for them at Gulf Coast.... They're best player Ugoka came from there as well.