2013 WCWS: Tennessee (7) vs Florida (2) - 2:30

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by trufloridagator, May 30, 2013.

1. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    Whatever happens the rest the way - it does nothing to diminish the season because the ceiling for this team was making it to the WCWS.

Before yesterday - I think most would say alot would need to happen for UF to get to the final series next week.

As I said going into this weekend - don't be shocked if UF goes 0-2 in this thing given the context of how the last several games have gone and given the inexperience of this team in this particular setting.

If there was a Stacey Nelson type of pitcher then I would say UF has a very good chance of moving forward.

The only way UF was going to stay in the game yesterday was if the pitching was going to give a stellar perfermance that would allow UF to stay in the game long enough to score a few runs.

Rodgers is a very good pitcher however she is not a strikeout pitcher and she always seems to breakdown or have that mental lapse in that one inning during the big games in which she gives hits/runs/walks. I would certainly expect a different effort tommorrow because what she did yesterday is an outing that she has not done the entire season.

This is a team highly dependent upon pitching and defense. If any of those components break down in anyway then issues would occur. The thing is what happened yesterday has not happened at all the entire season so I would just wonder about he mindset for tommorrow given the manner in which this team has played which has been tight.

Now tommorrow one would think they might play loose again and just go play. That may well very happen but I would not expect it. I think they will have extreme difficulty tommorrow as well because I don't think the pitching will hold up for an entire game. I think you will see a closer game tommorrow (a 4-3 type of game) but the outcome of the game will come down to that one inning in which the pitching could very well break down again.

Expecting them to all of sudden hit could in theory happen but that might be expecting too much because these freshman need to hit if anything good is to come tommorrow.
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    This is what winning the WCWS series comes down to. UF wouldn't have got this far without Rodgers but those no out or 1st out walks instead of K's can be her downfall. I thought Heager might be the girl but either she isn't used on the mound enough or Walton needs her to concentrate on her bat. And I cant really see him giving the ball to Bache anymore than he does. Which leaves the hope for UF to finally get the trophy on next years recruit Gourley. From Walton himself:

Delanie is a game-changer and program-changer. She’s a great kid, fun to watch and she’s truly an infectious player. Delanie is a left-handed pitcher with the ability to be a strikeout pitcher. She knows how to compete to the end and she knows how to win.”

- UF Head Coach Tim Walton

Then again I could be wrong and UF will the whole enchilada on Tues!
  3. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,369
    Don't agree that's true.

They had the best record and by far most wins this year against teams that finished ranked in the top 10, and had the most wins in the nation against teams that finished the season ranked.

UF made a LOT of top pitchers look ordinary this year.
  4. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,369
    All that Bear says is 100% true abt not expecting the team to suddenly start hitting tomorrow...but it might also be true that it is difficult to expect the team to suddenly do something they've not done all year: play 2 bad games in a row. Or lose 2-straight. Or not to come through in the 2-out clutch like they've done all year long and all post-season before yesterday.

Yesterday followed a bad offensive trend for the previous 3 games, which is reason to worry, but before that they had an entire season of extremely consistent excellence against the toughest schedule in the nation (basing that on playing more ranked opponents than any other team in the nation). They definitely CAN do it tomorrow.

In a short series like this, often the short term trends dictate their fate, but I find it hard to completely dismiss how well they have answered the bell all year long. That's still who they are, so if they can jut shake off their tight collar i believe they will win a few more games here.
  5. romeg8r

romeg8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,518
    Hey, they're here. I'm just going to watch the game tomorrow and enjoy it. What happens happpens. This was a young team that overachieved but should be spectacular next year.
  6. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    What needs to happen tommorrow is get off to a good start and get an early lead. If that happens then maybe some will start to play loose at the plate hitting.
  7. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +478
    Imperative for Stewart and Merritt to get on base early and a lot.
  8. trufloridagator

trufloridagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30