2013 Motorsports enthusiast thread

Discussion in 'Motorsports Forum' started by Speedofsand, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  2. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Ryan Newman will not be returning to Stewart-Haas next year. Tony announced it today. I met Ryan last week, he signed my 2008 Daytona 500 hat, he won that race. It was the 50th Daytona 500.
    Harvick is bringing Budweiser sponsorship to Stewart-Haas next year.
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  4. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Richard Petty to move museum back home again

http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_fe1ec0f0-ef5d-11e2-9152-001a4bcf6878.html

The King said Wednesday that it’s time to take the Richard Petty Museum now located in Randleman and move it back to Level Cross.

“There’s no history here,” he said after a press conference promoting the races next month in Bristol. “All the history is back at the shop.”

Musuem workers will begin moving the vast collection of trophies and cars and guns, along with the huge assortment of Lynda Petty’s dolls and figurines, and take them one section at a time to the original site of Petty Enterprises on Branson Mill Road.

“This isn’t a typical museum,” he said. “It’s not so much a racing museum as it is a Petty Family museum. Museums don’t work anyway. Look at all those halls of fame, even the NASCAR deal in Charlotte. I tried to tell them that wouldn’t work.”

Petty said there’s no timetable for the move.

“It’s going to take a while to get all this stuff out of here,” he said.
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Won't be any more of these UFO cameras flying over the track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  7. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Kyle Larson turned 21 this week, ran 5th in his first NNS race at Iowa yesterday, then went down the road to Knoxville and ran 3rd in the 360 Nationals last night.

Kasey Kahne denied his teammate Jeff Gordon's 42nd birthday win today at Pocono.

Charlie Kimball gets his first Indy win at Mid-Ohio today. Happy for him, very popular win with the crowd.
  8. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/R...les/2013/08/Knoxville-Paradise-for-Brown.aspx

Knoxville Paradise to Brian Brown

"My wife wouldn’t agree but if I could choose 10 days to go anywhere in the world on vacation, I wouldn’t go to Hawaii, I wouldn't go to Australia, I wouldn't go to Aruba. I would be in Knoxville, Iowa," Brown said on MotorRacingNetwork.com's "Winged Nation" show. "I truly believe that. It’s something I believe in my heart that’s near and dear and I wouldn’t change places with anybody in the world."

Motor Racing Network's "Winged Nation" will be live at Knoxville Raceway with four special programs, streaming nightly Wednesday through Saturday from 6-7 p.m. (CT) at MotorRacingNetwork.com.
  10. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  11. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Gordon, Larson Race for a Good Cause
    By: Jeff Wackerlin

Jeff Gordon and Kyle Larson helped raised money for Kick-It, a program of the Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation, on Wednesday with a go-kart event at Slideways Karting Center.

The inaugural Weld Racing’s Tony Stewart Spectacular kart race saw fans, drivers and media members (68 total) donate to the Kick-It program, and get the chance to race against Gordon and Larson. Stewart was scheduled to race in the event but due to the injuries he suffered in a sprint car crash Monday night, Larson - this year's NASCAR Nationwide Series Rookie of the Year contender - filled in.

Seven heat races were held with Gordon and Larson driving in all of them. In the end, Larson took the Feature win over Gordon. He was presented with a trophy that will have his name etched into it and be displayed in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame and Museum in Knoxville. The top two finishers in each heat race transferred to the A-Main and also will form an all-fan kickball team for Friday's game.

[​IMG]

"I've been coming here since I was 11 or 12, so it's cool that they put on a big charity event like this," Larson said. "The race was a lot of fun. We had to start at the back for every race and there was lots of crashing. A great turnout for a great cause. Jeff and Tony both do a lot for charities."

Between the karting event and Friday's Tony Stewart Kick-It Cup kickball game, the program will have raised over $49,000 for pediatric cancer research.

"I've got to thank Tony Stewart," Gordon said. "I know he's not here and we're all bummed about what happened. He was instrumental in this whole program. Kendra Jacobs (co-host of Motor Racing Network's "Winged Nation") ... I also have to say 'Thank you' to her for the whole kickball tournament happening here in Knoxville and growing the way that has. We're very happy with the results we've seen already this year and the event hasn’t even happened yet."

In 2012, the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation partnered with Kick-It to host games across the country, including a number of World of Outlaws STP Series events like the Knoxville Nationals and the Gold Cup in Chico, Calif. The program was such a huge success last season and it began 2013 by raising $57,000 with a game in Warrnambool, Australia.

Gordon’s trip to Knoxville was his second consecutive. Last year, the Sprint Car Hall of Fame had a tribute exhibit to Gordon that featured some of his old sprint cars and stock cars.

"After last year, I had so much fun I said, 'Alright, I'm going back but I'm not just going to go there, watch the races and take off,' " Gordon said. "We get to be here and be a part of this go-kart event, spend the whole night (at the track), hang out with some of the guys in the pits and then have a nice easy trip to Watkins Glen - hopefully."

Along with enjoying the racing Wednesday night at the 53rd Annual Knoxville Nationals, Gordon will also be keeping his eye on Shane Stewart, who will drive the Kick-It-sponsored sprint car.

Gordon raced in the Knoxville Nationals in 1989 and finished 23rd driving the No. 23 entry for McBride and Shoff Motorsports. Larson will be racing in the Nationals before going back and forth to Watkins Glen for Saturday's Nationwide Series race.
  12. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Daytona Intl Speedway is not playing around with the $400Million renovation. Only been 30 days.

[​IMG]
    News-Journal / STEVEN NOTARAS

These are done already.

• Demolition of all underground utilities and overhead power lines along the entire frontstretch
    • Relocations of fire pump, emergency generators and electrical panels
    • Installation of water and storm sanitary lines on the west side
    • Installation of electrical ductbank and manholes on the west side
    • Demolition of Americrown buildings at Hospitality Village
    • Demolition of Commissary Building (catering kitchen) at the base of the Sprint Tower
    • Initial installation of anchors and footings for temporary ticketing gates
  13. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Thursday's post race press conf with the top 3 and tonight's pole sitter Joey Saldana. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7lcBg_843s

Forget his rough season, Australian Brooke Tatnell pocketed a cool $10,000 and earned the 25th starting spot in the FVP Knoxville Nationals by winning Friday's SPEED SPORT World Challenge!
    http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.c...rs/world-challenge-belongs-to-brooke-tatnell/

Kyle Larson raced Wed and missed the A Main, finishing P6 in the B. He flew back & forth to Watkins Glen and last night won the Hard Knox feature. Larson blasted into the lead on the second lap, taking the point from Chad Kemenah and leading the remainder of the 25-lap race on a night when 71 cars were attempting to earn the four spots in the Sat. feature. He will race Watkins Glen today and fly back to start 17th in tonite's Championship feature.
    http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.c...sprint-cars/its-all-kyle-larson-at-knoxville/

HEARTBREAK: Sammy Swindell faced heartbreak after leading his LCS in Friday’s event from green to checkered, but started running out of fuel as he entered turn one on the final lap. Swindell fell to third, but remained in transfer spot as his car was completely out of gas. Swindell thought he was destined for the night’s feature event, until he crossed the scales two pounds light, leading to a disqualification and a sixth-place starting position in the E-Main on Saturday night. Also struggling to qualify for the event was 2005 event winner Kraig Kinser, who will start 17th in the C-Main.

ALPHABET GAME: Most of the rest of the Outlaws have an easier Saturday night planned with the Craig Dollansky, Donny Schatz and Jason sides all starting the Last Chance Showdown while the rest of the series top drivers have secured positions in the feature event.

http://www.woosprint.com/

http://www.hoseheads.com/

photos of all the cars in the pits
    http://www.hoseheads.com/live.html

free audio & ppv
    http://dirtvision.com/welcome.php
  14. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Unbelievable, Donny Schatz transferred from the B main to start 21st. No one has ever won the Nationals from outside the top 15. Schatz won for the 7th time in the last 8 years. Tony Stewart must be feeling good now.
    Larson started 17th, raced up to 6th. Long day from Watkins Glen for him.

1.Donny Schatz
    2.Brian Brown
    3.Justin Henderson
    4.Paul McMahan
    5.Chad Kemenah
    6.Kyle Larson
    7.Joey Saldana
    8.Danny Lasoski
    9.Steve Kinser
    10.Cap Henry
    11.Dusty Zomer
    12.Greg Hodnett
    13.Brad Sweet
    14.Daryn Pittman
    15.Cody Darrah
    16.Kerry Madsen
    17.Shane Stewart
    18.Roger Crockett
    19.Brooke Tatnell
    20.Kevin Swindell
    21.Ian Madsen
    22.Lynton Jeffrey
    23.David Gravel
    24.Jac Haudenschild
    25.Stevie Smith
  15. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  16. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Gary 'Hot Shoe' Balough
    1984 Hialeah Speedway Outlaw Open

[​IMG]
  17. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Mark Martin & Dick Anderson at New Smyrna

[​IMG]
  18. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  19. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    [​IMG]

Ben Kennedy is making his Nascar Truck series debut tonight at Bristol. He is racing the K&N Pro series East full time this season, is currently 3rd in points. His mom is Lesa France Kennedy. Watch the race on FoxSports1
  20. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Catching up...Mark Martin is in Tony Stewart's car for the season, except Talladega where Austin Dillon will try to drive it. Mark hates restrictor plate races. Kurt Busch to drive for Gene Haas, at Stewart Haas Racing. Haas is putting the money and sponsorship in it, Tony didn't really have a say in it. Look up this year's Richmond finish on youtube to see how well Tony and Kurt get along.
    Montoya out, Kyle Larson will likely drive the 42 next year. I hope Chip has a seat in the Rolex24 for him too.
    Bobby Labonte crashed a bicycle today and broke 3 ribs. Mike Bliss will drive #51 Phoenix racing car in Atlanta.
    The #51 team has been sold by Panama City's James Finch to Harry Scott Jr of Turner Scott Motorsports.
    Martin Truex Jr broke his wrist in a Bristol crash but has a special cast and will race in Atlanta.
    Denny Hamlin will have back surgery after the season (if not sooner).
    AJ Allmendinger will become the full-time driver of the #47 Sprint Cup car for JTG Daugherty Racing in 2014, sources told ESPN.com on Thursday. Allmendinger has accepted a three-year deal.