2013 Motorsports enthusiast thread

Discussion in 'Motorsports Forum' started by Speedofsand, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Kyle Larson took 3rd on The Dirt Track at Charlotte in the World of Outlaws race Friday night, then 4th in the Nationwide race Sat. night just ahead of Sunday's winner Harvick. Larson was the only Nationwide regular in the top 5. He was also 6th at Darlington a couple weeks ago. You don't see many rookies get top 10s at Darlington.

[​IMG]
    Paul McMahan (center) shares the podium with Daryn Pittman (right) and Kyle Larson at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Friday. (Chris Seelman Photo)

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...nationwide-series-charlotte-fourth-place.html
  2. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Happy 97th Birthday to Ray Fox and 87th to Marvin Panch, both are Living Legends of Auto Racing and Daytona Beach locals.
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  4. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli won in Detroit last weekend. The 'Intergalactic' video is a huge success, haha.

Detroit highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGujTtwOF0

Dominant Larson Conquers Jacksonville
    JACKSONVILLE, Ill. 6-6-2013 — Kyle Larson drove to victory in his fourth straight start in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series.
    Larson led all 30 laps in Keith Kunz Motorsports’ Toyota-powered Bullet to take the checkered flag by six car lengths over Darren Hagen, but it wasn’t without an anxious moment. Exiting turn four on the 15th lap, Larson bounced off a lapped car that had spun.
    Larson triumphed over a 49-car field of outstanding talent and accomplishments. Hagen was the USAC Honda National Champion a year ago and third-place finisher Brad Kuhn of Avon, Ind., is a two-time POWRi National Midget champion.

Others in the feature included multi-time New Zealand and Australian Midget champion Michael Pickens, who finished seventh, USAC Triple Crown winner Jerry Coons Jr., who finished eighth, and NASCAR Nationwide regular Justin Allgaier, who finished 18th
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    http://www.stockcarracing.com/thehistoryof/ctrs_1000_ray_fox/#ixzz2VXxJ2Sme

[​IMG]

Fox and Yunick had a long-running feud, and they somehow decided to end it by letting each other's son work for the other one. Smokey Jr. would work for Fox, and Ray Jr. would go to work in Smokey's shop. And that was so funny because they fought with each other all the time but both managed to teach each other's kids quite a bit. I remember asking Fox one time, "Where's Raymond Jr.?" And he said, "He's over at Smokey's." So I asked Fox if he had him out stealing secrets or something, and he answered, "No, we've decided to trade sons." And I thought that was one of the more interesting things I've ever heard in my years of racing.

So I asked Fox, "What's the biggest carburetor you've got?" And he looked at me like I'd asked him to go into the gold mine and show me where the vein was. Well, finally he went and brought a carburetor out that you could swim in, it was so big.

Well, we put that big carburetor on, and Baker got in the car and ran without knowing what we'd done. He ended up going around Daytona at almost 200 miles an hour which was significantly faster than qualifying speeds at that time.

I can remember guys in those days would come back in after making a lap at Daytona and being absolutely scared white. But Baker was fearless, and when I told him how fast he went he said, "No I didn't." I told him it was the truth and what we had done with the carburetor, and he said, "Well, it didn't feel like it. Tell Ray to go get a bigger carburetor."

Well, Fox heard that and he got mad as hell because that was the biggest carburetor he had and he couldn't stand to let Baker win!

Did You Know?

• Built the Car Fireball Roberts Used to Lead Every Lap and Win the 1955 Race on the Daytona Beach Course, but Was Disqualified for Shortened Pushrods
    • 1956 Mechanic of the Year
    • As Carl Kiekhaefer's Chief Mechanic in 1956, Won 22 of the Season's First 26 Races With Drivers Buck Baker, Speedy Thompson, Tim Flock, and Herb Thomas
    • Built the 1959 Chevrolet Junior Johnson used to Win the 1960 Daytona 500
    • As a Car Owner, Fox Accumulated/Won 14 races and 18 Poles in Only Eight Years
    • Fox's Driver List Includes David Pearson, Buck Baker, Buddy Baker, Earl Balmer, Fred Lorenzen, Cale Yarborough, Marvin Panch, Fireball Roberts, and Leeroy Yarbrough
    • In 1965 Leeroy Yarbrough Drove Ray's Dodge Coronet to a New World Speed Record for Closed Courses of 181.818mph. The Coronet Was Powered by a 426-Cubic-Inch Hemi-Charger Engine with Four-Port Hilborne Fuel Injection and a 617 Gmc Blower. He was Gaining Speed for the Third Lap When NASCAR Officials Saw Smoke and Gave Him the Black Flag. The Crew Later Found a 1?4-Inch Machine Bolt in the Right Front Tire
    • Ray Retired from Racing in 1972
    • Came Out of Retirement in 1990 to Become a NASCAR Inspector
    • Retired a Second Time in 1996
    • Member of the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame
    • Inducted Into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2003
    • President of the Living Legends of Auto Racing
    • Is 97 and still lives in Daytona Beach, FL
  6. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Jeb Burton got his first truck series win tonite at Texas.
    Congrats to the 20 yr old from South Boston, Va.
    Jeb's spotter was his dad, 2002 Daytona 500 champion Ward Burton.
  7. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  8. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  10. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Jason Leffler passed away last night after an accident racing a winged 410 sprinter in N.J.

[​IMG]
    Jason & his son Charlie

Joey Logano said: “Extremely sad to hear about @JasonLeffler. spent a lot of time racing with him. Gone way too soon. Prayers to his entire family.’’

Brad Keselowski said: “Really sad for Jason Leffler and his family. Thinking about his little boy ...

Martin Truex Jr. said: “Another racer gone too soon. So sad, Our thoughts are with his familiy and friends.’’

Landon Cassill said: “Had a great talk with him just the other day. We reminded each other why we love racing and do what we do. He was family.’’

Kyle Larson said: “Such sad news tonight. Leffler was a great person and even better dad. I am glad I got to know him. Rest in peace.’’

Leffler was a member of the National Midget Hall of Fame in 2003. He won four USAC championships, winning three consecutive USAC midget titles (1997-99). He also won the USAC Silver Crown championship in 1998.
  11. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    seen on some cars in the garage at Michigan today.

[​IMG]
  12. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    The Nascar Nationwide Series is at Road America, with an impressive list of ringers entered. ESPN, 5:00 Sat.
    Johnny O'Connell will drive the #5 for JR Motorsports

Billy Johnson will drive the #16 for Roush Fenway

Michael McDowell is in the #18 for Joe Gibbs

Brendan Gaughan will be in the #21 for Richard Childress

AJ Allmendinger will drive the #22 Ford for Penske

Stanton Barrett is in the #23 for Rick Ware

Max Papis returns to the RCR #33

Owen Kelly is in the #54 for Joe Gibbs

Cup cars are at Sonoma on a road course, the Trucks are off until Kentucky.
  13. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Anybody near W. Palm Beach looking for a REALLY good deal on a Porsche?
    Complete description and pics in link.

http://www.guycosmo.com/porsche-cayman-s-turbo-for-sale/

I absolutely hate to part with it, but times are changing... I'm now married, I'm always on the road and hardly ever drive it, I'd like to buy a house... you get the picture!
  14. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    In his very first Nascar road race, against all those ringers, Kyle Larson finished 7th at Road America. Then he gets in a dirt sprinter and ran 2nd to a Kasey Kahne owned car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a85J3ywMgZE

30 minute time lapse of street rod build.
    Street Rodder Magazine taps Honest Charley Garage to build their flagship car for the 2013 Street Rodder Road Tour. This project spanned 9 long months from October 2012 to June 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhWtudk98k
  15. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151679290501311" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  16. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
  17. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
  18. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Sixteen teams found to have modified roof flap spacers (lighter) during NASCAR inspection. Teams listed: #1-McMurray, #2-Keselowski, #9-Ambrose, #11-Hamlin, #13-Mears, #15-Bowyer, #16-Biffle, #17-Stenhouse Jr., #18-Busch, #20-Kenseth, #21-Bayne, #22-Logano, #43-Almirola, #55-Waltrip, #56-Truex Jr. and #99-Edwards. The modified/confiscated roof-flap spacers are on display at Daytona in the NASCAR hauler. NASCAR's Kerry Tharp addressed media on confiscated roof-flap spacers - "Spacers not in compliance with those kits." The roof-flap kits are supplied to teams for #NASCAR by one company (a Roush company) and are not to be changed.

[​IMG]
  19. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Also 15 NNS cars had illegal spacers on the roof flaps. The Nationwide drivers affected were Michael Annett, Trevor Bayne, Mike Bliss, Kyle Busch, Landon Cassill, Jeffrey Earnhardt, Matt Kenseth, Blake Koch, Travis Pastrana, Robert Richardson Jr., Reed Sorenson, Dexter Stacey, Brian Vickers, Jason White and Cole Whitt, according to the Motor Racing Network.
    Dale Jr said Austin Dillon has earned the right to drive the #3 as long as he wants, meaning we might see #3 in Cup next year for the first time since 2001.
    Earnhardt Jr.: "I think it will be great. It was an iconic number for my father and it means a lot to a lot of his fans. This sport doesn't really retire numbers and all the numbers have history tied to them for several different reasons. The #3 is no different. I think that for Austin (Dillon) a kid like Austin in this regard any kid that wants to come up through the ranks and he drove the #3 in dirt racing and he drove the #3 in his Truck series and Nationwide series. He has earned the right to run that number as long as he wants. It could have been anybody, but it's Austin. It could have been any kid coming up through the ranks that had ran that number and that's his number. Maybe he's not even an Earnhardt fan maybe that is just his number. He wants to run it I think it's not really fair to deny somebody that opportunity. I'm okay with it. I know that might not be the way a lot of people feel or some people feel, but I'm sure it's the minority that feels that way. I think that a lot of people will be telling Austin positive things about it.
    Terry LaBonte looking at buying James Finch's 51 team. AJ Allmendinger was fastest in practice yesterday in the 51, which has always been a good superspeedway team.
    Friday, July 5, 2013
    DAYTONA
    2:05 p.m. – NASCAR Nationwide Series qualifying, ESPN2
    4:10 p.m. – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying, SPEED
    7:30 p.m. – Subway Firecracker 250 powered by Coca-Cola, ESPN
  20. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320