2013 Can't Be Repeated!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 23, 2014.

1. fphingator

fphingator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    We could match Texas. But would we outbid Texas,not a chance. Give it more time with the Sec Network and continued population increase maybe.But Texas is a financial juggernaut.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    I agree. But football W-L is not the only driver for profitability. Of course, there is a number below which it can't routinely fall (for sure 4-8 seasons are that number). But a lot of 9-3 to 10-2 seasons will keep the profit rolling in. I don't think that would be Mr. Foley's only motivator on job retention. I guess I just trust him a lot more than some folks do. And not blindly. Didn't a former coach in baseball that was let go by UF win a NC at another school? JF did not see the progress he thought he should and there was a parting.
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    Agree with the money part but I don't think JF has any plans of us becoming the new Vanderbilt.
  4. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    Some people are very frustrated with the state of the program after one of the worst years in Gator history and people come on a fan forum and vent about a coach who appears to be under preforming... Weird...

Where is your doc holiday / tombstone picture I thought that was the unofficial badge
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    I was talking about Machen. The point being we can change the University's philosophy but the money amount WILL change. That is all. And mediocrity in the football program will get us there pretty fast, IMO.
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    Sorry BRO....you've missed the ship once again. Just sit back and enjoy.
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    WOW....totally missed Machen's name. My bad.
  8. tegator80

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    No problems.:)
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    Wait, I may have missed something. Are you suggesting that UF's academic funding is contingent upon the quality of the football program? The UAA functions as a separate fiscal entity from the university. Scholars in the academic areas are bringing in HUGE grants for research. I'm sure the UAA provides $ to some academic areas (for example, they fund the lion's share of the band program), but in general, the academic funding for UF would not suffer at all if the football team went away.

Do you think Duke's academic funding is contingent upon the quality of its basketball team? Stanford for any of its kajillion sports? Hint: the answers are no.
  10. tegator80

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    I would think your beliefs are a little bit short sighted. The main reason sports are so prevalent in universities (perhaps the Ivy League members withstanding) is that it gives people an identity that motivates them to contribute. Now the AAU, which UF is a member, contributes substantially to the bottom line but the other academic pursuits have needs that are met by others. And the university's prestige, via sports, has a tangible impact on the bottom line.
  11. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I don't see how anyone in their right mind could say this with a straight face. They said it before last season too. If you like Roper and believe the offense will crack the top 100 for a change, say that. I think we'd all agree to that.

"I think we will surprise a lot of people this year." Yeah, we'll either underperform in some people's eyes, or go 8-4 and pleasantly surprise the "I remember '79 so be grateful" crowd. There's probably a better chance we win 7-8 than 9+. Florida football is as close to square 1 as they've been since the late 80's. There's not a lot of promise if you expect (and always should) a 9+ win season for 2014.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    Sadly, I agree. I really wish I didn't.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    He's like a Supreme Court Justice.
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Let me rephrase, I like the hire of Roper, he cannot be any worse than peace (although I personally feel WM made it plain to Peace, make the O a power running downhill team and when it didn't work Peace was the scapegoat). I personally think this O better suits the strength of JD. I feel what Roper did with the likes of Duke he should be able to do with us. I also don't see the same amount of injuries. Finally, I see many of the teams we play having new starting qbs.
    Having said that, an 8-4 season is unacceptable. IMO WM has had enough time to show us if he is the coach that can get the job done. He has been given more consideration than the zooker so for me this is a sink or swim year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Something everyone seems to forget about is how we actually got better after injuries in certain positions like QB and RB. The oline situation was crazy bad but you better recruit lots of OL the moment you arrive on the job if you plan on selling out your oline every 1st and 3rd down, injured or not, hell or high water. Effective power teams don't do this.

Plenty of teams were just as beat up or damn near what we were last year and used smarts and coaching ability to overcome their misfortune. Ole Miss comes to mind. 8 wins is what you get when you have monumental injuries and a tough schedule at Florida. 4 wins means the biggest problem is more deeply rooted than injuries, ie recruiting and offensive scheme/balance/play-calling, otherwise known as coaching incompetency or getting millions and several years to learn on the job at a program a few years removed from a pair or National Championships.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    That's fine, but I think sports fans tend to conflate the prestige of a university's sp0rts programs with its overall reputation. The University of Florida has achieved academic prestige largely independent of its athletic programs. I do not know everything about the extent to which the UAA funds academic programs, but I have earned two degrees and served as faculty member at UF, so I would also not consider my views short sighted. What percentage of those contributions you cite do you think are going toward academic programs? Again, the UAA is a separate fiscal entity. Donations to the athletics programs go to athletics programs. Donations to the various academic programs are made as specific allocations or to the General Fund.

The demographic on campus has largely changed in the past 15 years and that point has been belabored here, esp. in relation to student supp0rt and attendance. SAT scores are way up, along with GPAs and international student enrollment (which provides additional tuition revenue). Today's student is much less concerned with the sp0rts teams than when I went to UF for undergrad.

If we do not agree, that's fine, but the football program could be completely purged and the University of Florida would continue to prosper academically, only with an increasingly altered demographic.
  17. tegator80

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    As the reason for my previous post that Machen is entitled to follow the Vanderbilt model. But no one should expect the same amount of monies.
  18. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,858
    No, he's like a CEO of a Fortune 500 company that has completely turned that company into a Fortune 50 company. Well respected and desired.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    Name me a SINGLE team that lost 12 starters from the previous season before the season started, then lost another ten during the season. Name me a team that was even close.

Florida will NOT go 4-8 this year, as the team comes back with 8 lost starters, and hopefully, will not lose ten more (including 2-3 quarterbacks). That was a perfect storm of disaster. No one would have taken last year's Gator team to a winning record. No one.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    Zook lost 13 starters in 2004, including 8 on defense alone. He also had injuries throughout the year. Muschamp will not be saddled. And face facts, Zook was fired before the season started. As soon as Machen came through the door, Zook was a goner. Let's not live the fantasy that Zook's position was secure in August of 2004.