2013 Can't Be Repeated!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 23, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    I think for most uf fans the revelation by a former uf football player wasn't all that surprising. We all knew about injuries and we knew coaching and on field decision making wasn't what it needed to be, and the fact that as losses mounted the team became fractured as in finger pointing.
    I think what was a bit surprising was just how undisciplined this team was, bringing girls in, drinking, sneaking out. This wasn't WM first year but his third. These are his players for the most part. The picture painted by the article is a sad sad one. (Yet, I suspect CM had similar issues) I have to say, I do feel bad for the zooker, he too had similar issues minus the injuries, but never lost to the likes of Ga. Southern. He did manage to beat uga. Yet, he was let go. Maybe, JF learned from that situation and perhaps would act a bit differently if he had to do it all over again.
    But what happened in 2013 can not, must not happen again. There was plenty of blame to go around, and it is my hope that the team and the coaches that remain have learned from it. I personally like the direction this team is headed and I really think we will surprise a lot of people this year.
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,499
    OK, I won't let it happen again.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    So it was your fault then, glad ya fessed up, finally.
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,985
    Whew.....I was starting to think I was the only one not happy with a 4-8 record.
    • Funny Funny x 12
  5. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,000
    I don't think you should have been surprised at all. There was (hopefully was) a clear leadership climate problem on this team. I had no doubt in my mind that things like that were going on behind the scenes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    I was fervently in favor of letting Muschamp go after the Georgia Southern game and quite frankly I stand by it. The worst part was watching all the best coaching options that would have been available to us take other jobs.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I wanted WM gone after the Miami game. We should have scored 40-plus on the Canes that day.

It's clear that WM has lost the team. He's no disciplinarian. Players don't fear or respect him. All he can do is coach defense. Meanwhile our once-explosive offense has shriveled into one of the worst in the country. Even our special teams stunk last year.

Dissension and finger-pointing were inevitable when you have a coach who fervently believes you can win every game by a 10-6 score by utilizing a 1930s-style offense.

He's in over his head. He's our Derek Dooley, our Ray Goff.

Now I REALLY fear a repeat of 2013 this year. If Foley wants to keep his job, he better start assembling a list of potential new hires NOW. Sadly, many great candidates went elsewhere because Foley inexplicably hitched his wagon to WM for one more year. Zook got bounced after three years. Why didn't WM?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    I'm sorry, but it’s Foley's job as long as he chooses to stay. He's earned that. Our basketball team just went to the Final Four (after 3 straight Elite Eights), and our gymnastics team just repeated as national champions. He's widely considered one of the very top ADs in the country. If UF fired Foley, he'd have another big time job within a week. I know football is the premier sport and generates the most revenue, but he's also presided over 3 NCs in that sport during his career here. I also know that people are angry about last year's debacle. I don't imagine Mr. Foley is thrilled with it himself.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    Sadly I agree on all counts above.

His lack of discipline and motivation is probably why we see such inconsistent performances out of the team and individual players from week to week. Even during 2012, half of our games we barely showed up for. And I do think the players have lost respect for him for his ill-conceived strategy. Plus they're probably much more aware than we are of his offensive shortcomings based on what they see and hear on a daily basis. Hard to respect someone when you don't believe in what they are telling you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    How to sound like you don't know what you're talking about on Gator Country:

Insinuate that Foley's job is any way in danger.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    OP's assertion in the title is correct...we cannot possibly suffer as many injuries to critical players this year as we did last year. It literally cannot be repeated.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    NCs in gymnastics are nice, but they don't build 90,000-seat stadiums to watch the gym team. If Foley doesn't think his job is in danger, then I guess we're stuck with WM even if he goes 5-7 or 6-6 in 2014, which is a very real possibility.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ncg8or

ncg8or Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    It's all about the offense this year...we lost a ton on defense but return a ton on offense so there should be marked improvement on that side of the ball. If our offense looks like something out of the 21st century, that will go a long way towards Will keeping his job, even with 4 - 5 losses. If it looks like Muschamp is hamstringing Roper and we lose that many, he's gone, gone, gone.
  14. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    To me it makes no more sense to lay all of the blame (or even most of it) for last year at Muschamp's feet than it does to give him most of the credit for winning 11 games and almost playing for the national title the year before.

If FSU or Auburn had lost its top two QBs, its top RB, both starting tackles, and a starting WR, and had played another OL who was playing practically with only one arm, how would their seasons have gone? Terribly, I believe.

We avoid the injury bug this year, and I believe we'll be good. Tough schedule, mind you, for any team, so don't have title expectations, but I certainly think we have a shot. New OC and OL coach should help, too.

Stop calling for everyone to be fired all the time. It doesn't help or make much sense.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    This thread is new and exciting.

Does every thread have to be about bashing Muschamp & Foley?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,782
    This is Year 4 and not Year 3. 2013 CAN'T happen again. But 2014 can be telling as to whether Muschamp is over his head or not. And Mr. Foley implicitly knows this.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Keep talking about Foley's job being in danger, it really makes you look like you know what you're talking about.

/sarcasm
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    The 8 SEC Championships (10 appearances), and 3 NCs that he's presided over in the sport that does build 90k seat stadiums probably give him the impression that his job isn't in danger. I'm not sure what about Foley's tenure and track record would lead you to believe that he will retain Will Muschamp after another losing season in football. I do think that his willingness to take the mitigating circumstances of the last season into account would increase the attractiveness of this job, under his leadership, to future coaching candidates.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    GS, I know you're a sensible person but to assert that currently Foley's job is in danger is foolishness. Yes, it's true that the other sports that he has resided over don't add up to the amount football does.

However, his football tenure has been amazing. We've won all of our NCs with him (even if he didn't bring SOS). Also, under his umbrella we've not only become a basketball school but arguable (from a winning standpoint), the most premiere one in the league (which also brings in a few bucks).

It might make you feel better, and others like you to say that his job is even somewhat in danger but it's foolish, and furthermore, it's not.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I've expressed my opinion of wm's head ball coaching ability but he's a Gator for at least a portion or all of the 2014 season. Lets give the man an opportunity to beat some good teams and compete every Saturday this fall. Continuing to bad mouth him in the offseason does little for recruiting or team attitude and chemistry.
    • Agree Agree x 6