Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2/3 of younger workers wouldn’t live in a state with abortion bans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 7, 2024.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You're proving the previous poster who noted your privilege correct with this kind of dismissive rhetoric.

2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We live in a democracy, people vote to select the leaders they want leading the area where they live whether it is a city/county/state.
    I wouldn't say the politics of a regions leaders are the #1 reason to select an area to live.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Agree with most of that but sadly several "local' issues have now gone uber political, starting with education .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    That's why it doesn't happen and this whole premise is nonsense.

"I really love the Tampa and the company, but what if I accidentally get pregnant and decide not to keep the baby? Nope, can't move to Florida."

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Probably not, nobody said it was the #1 reason, but a certain contingency of politicians and judges are sure making it more of a consideration than in the past.

6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Change of that nature typically takes many years in most states and/or a lot of migration. Thinking of Calif/Fla in the latter.. Sure, I can recall when Calif had Pub governors and Fla had Dem governors.
    As for states like Okla, Bama, Ms now being run by Pubs id say it has more to do with parties changing than the population.
    If George Wallace was around today he certainly wouldn't be a Dem and Nelson Rockefeller wouldn't be a Pub. .

7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the thread title implies that is the case.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Perhaps you are trying to make it feel that way as a form of rationalization for your beliefs.

9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It can be a pretty big factor because the politics of a place are indicative of the culture of a place. Politics and culture are highly intertwined.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As for, it's democracy, work from within. Not quite. US has been steadily dropping in the democracy index, even before Trump. At least since the late 70s with Buckley v. Valeo, the courts have been trying to hamstring the ability to self govern through elections. Good read, though not the only one

From a quick search - just search world democracy index.

Tim Scott and DT have already said they will not accept an outcome where Trump doesn't take power. They may not have any choice, but they are certainly signalling they won't. And if they do take power, they are already putting together their plan to end democracy. Open about it

Even before they were open about it, the Atlantic game planned it out - recommend this issue

See https://www.theatlantic.com/if-trump-wins/

Also, highly recommend this book, which is related though not direct. Finished this am

Bottom line, we are in the cone for a hurricane, five days (I know three days, but metaphor). Could miss altogether, in which case be glad you didn't evacuate. A partial hit is significant damage, but can survive and rebuild with degraded life dues to area damage. A direct hit and you're wiped out, livelihood threatened, possibly liberty, etc. Then it's too late to evacuate

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thread by the excellent Ben Wikler on how the Right has suppressed democracy in Wisconsin for over a decade

12. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Belief is declining no matter what anyone thinks. The evangelicals support of trump is a drowning man stepping on another persons head trying to keep their head above water.

13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    First election I’m not excited about and I’m 71.

14. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Evangelicals are creating a mutant strain of Christianity combining politics/Trump with religion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Work through the system".

16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Depending on the definition of "need", I support abortion for those who "need" it.

I dont think it is fair to say that the only opinions that matter are of those impacted directly. Under that premise why even have local votes for things like a new park if only people using the park would have a right to an opinion?

The no uterus/no opinion stance is much too simplistic.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. tilly

Would it shock you to hear that I agree with you? I would add the caveat of many but not all, but you are correct

18. tilly

Again, how?

I can't afford to do that. The people who do it, are often more affluent and "privileged" with the means necessary.

Nothing is more "privileged" than saying, "I am moving away from this place that the rest of you who cant afford to are stuck in."

That word has been bastardized beyond recognition.

19. tilly

The only people making that choice are the "privileged" who can afford it. ;)

20. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA

Not necessarily. A lot of them will be young college or grad school grads looking to decide where they want to start their careers and lay down. For sure, those who are in greater demand will have a greater range of options, but for a lot of those folks their existing financial resources (which is what I think you were referring to with your dismissive comments) are not as important as their prospects.