Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2/3 of younger workers wouldn’t live in a state with abortion bans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 7, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So the CEO of the group that performed the survey thinks it should be given a lot of weight. How are we determining the reliability of such a survey?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Based on what we have seen on people returning to the office vs. full time telecommute, I expect the check will be the ultimate determinant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  4. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    These results seem internally inconsistent. They say “62%, would “probably not” or “definitely not” live in a state that banned abortion.” But then it says “Another 35% said they would “probably accept” the job. And only 20% of respondents said they would definitely take the job.”

So 62% said they won’t live in one of those states but 55% say they will take a job there.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The survey recap specifically says "Employment trumps abortion views for most young people." The two questions are separate.

Not surprising that one might have to give up a culture war item in order to feed themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    More companies now allow remote working than pre-Covid. This allows working for companies in states with strong abortion laws versus actually living there.

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True, but only about 12 percent of jobs are fully remote.

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The question is though, if someone can take a 100k job in a state that fits their political views or one at 120k for instance in a state that doesn’t, what will they do? Or would someone leave a state for a bit less money?
    Will take time to see how it plays out IRL.
    The larger question is how much companies will worry about being able to fill talent when making their decisions on where to put jobs that people have options on (white collar jobs mostly).

9. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Polling of the same 1,033 people found the following:
    • 44% consider the current job market as bad and another 11% consider it extremely bad.
    • 70% prefer to keep TikTok operating as usual and 30% want it banned.
    • 81% believe a 4-day work week would make the workplace more productive.

Conclusion - Majority of those polled are unemployed and addicted to TikTok, holding out for that 4 day a week job management position.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course those are the kind of jobs that people who could probably travel for an abortion affordably would have anyways. I think we all know these policies will hit people without means the hardest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    2/3 of younger workers don’t vote.

;)

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just speculating, but I don't think it is only abortion, though that is most significant. It's living in the kind of state that bans abortion. Abortion access is not an independent variable. It strongly correlates with a more authoritarian mindset from government generally

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll go out on a limb and predict the 20% boost will win that one >90% of the time, across all age ranges and occupations.

And companies will also continue to operate/move to states that buy them. They will also continue to say whatever is politically expedient for the time, which in almost all cases is nothing. I realize that a few manipulate the emotional culture warriors and that tiny percentage of companies becomes a news item for a cycle but in actuality 99% of all businesses will just continue to silently take all the kickbacks and it doesn't matter where they come from. I mean most profit off of at least quasi-child and slave labor. Abortion as Profit Driver is undoubtedly on the weekly meeting shadow agenda. Abortion as Moral Stance will never make it except as code to hide the profit idea.

These surveys are just a combo of letting people pretend to act out and provide fodder for message boards.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course I think banning abortion is typically something that happens in states with lower wages and less organized workers, these things dont exist in a vacuum. The people who want to control bodies want to control labor costs too, it goes hand in hand. Of course, people still wonder why social conservativism is compatible with oligarchic economic policies. That being said, making enough money largely makes you immune to basically any politics, so I would imagine money wins out in many situations if it is enough. Even the reddest states have their enclaves of liberals, and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is also inane to imagine that living a place you deem necessary to support yourself and/or your family that has values you strongly oppose means you're not sincere.

I usually decry personal examples, but my wife wants to leave Florida now, as do I, despite the fact that we both grew up here. But economic realities limit that decision. Doesn't mean the beliefs are not sincere and strongly held, and depending on November's election, we may have to try to make it work. Enough said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Yeh, gotta have abortion as a form of birth control. Maybe they're too dumb to use the "other measures" available?

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'd suggest that it is likely an issue. Companies didn't move to most of the states passing these laws to pay people extra. In fact, generally it is just the opposite (they thought they could get employees cheaper due to lower costs of living because people didn't generally want to move to these locations). In addition, their big worry ahead of time was in attracting top talent to those states, which were often, but not always, viewed as less desirable to workers, especially young and educated workers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Very few women use abortion as their primary form of contraception and almost every form of contraception fails occasionally some more than others.
    FYI: The failure rate for hormonal contraception is 7%, for condoms it's 13%, 21% for spermicides; and for contraceptive sponges it's 14% for women who have never had a baby and 27% for women who have had a baby.
    Contraception | CDC

And by the way in a number of cases there are actual medical reasons for abortion rather than simply as a last resort form of contraception including but not limited to very premature labor/miscarriage in which there is no way that the fetus will survive while allowing the pregnancy to progress to the point of actual fetal death could seriously jeopardize the health or even the life of the mother; serious fetal abnormalities; and threats to the health of the woman.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Of the top 15 cities that receive the most applications from new college grads, only four are in forced-birth states and that was based on statistics from 2022 and 2023. I suspect hiring managers in Texas and Florida are already struggling to hire female grads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ever have a condom tear before?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2