12 Gators on NBA openning rosters

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Oct 29, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    We all pretty much knew this, but Donovan tweeted it:

For us old time fans, that is quite amazing:

PG: Calathes,
    SG: Beal, Miller
    SF: Brewer, Parsons
    PF: Bonner, Lee, Haslem, Murphy, Speights
    C: Horford, Noah
  2. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I read sometime back that Boynton signed to play in Israel. Has Rosario lined up a basketball gig overseas or in the NBDL?
  3. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    That would make a pretty good NBA team. All Stars at Center, Parsons will be an All Star wing, Beal will be an All Star, and the rest of them are in no way ordinary. Would win a lot of games!

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
    • Like Like x 1
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Not trying to diminish the talent on that team (its there), but the NBA is very dependent on point guard play right now. That'd be the obvious achillies heel on this team. Wait a while and Hill will help this team out a lot.
  5. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Right, think of the Heat the last two year, the Mavs before them, the Lakers for two years before that, then the Spurs. Do you really think of PG with all those teams?

Seriously, yes that "team" of NBA Gators would lack PG unless Calathes is ready now. The NBA in not nearly a dependent on PG play as 1950s, 1960s and the early and mid 1970s when it was PG and post league much more so than now.
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,924
    How's this stack up to other schools' NBA presence? Anyone have an easy reference for me?
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Insti, it was a nice way of saying 'ole Calethes wouldn't cut it as the ONLY point guard on an NBA team. Disagree? Think that team (yes I agree its an arbitrary group to call a team) would win a lot of games? The last few years have shown how important a point guard is in the NBA. An elite point guard isn't required, but c'mon...

Your 3 examples are teams with a point guard named Tony Parker (did you really use the spurs as an example?), or teams that have someone named either Kobe Bryant or Lebron AND Dwayne Wade. I hardly think they're representative and I do not see similar players on the roster listed in this thread.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Personally, I am fascinated to see how Calathes looks in the NBA this year. I think we would all agree that few humans can pass like that guy. On the other hand, passing isn't the only thing a PG needs to do. But back to the first hand, it is among the most important.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/alumni-tracker/school/5812

I don't have time to check all the main schools, but so far I have

Kentucky - 22
    Kansas - 18
    Duke - 15
    UNC - 15

Thats all I have above UF so far.

One of the things that keeps these lineups from being phenomenal is how some of the best players in the league skipped college. Being a UK fan, its not surprising I think they probably have the best lineup. But I only barely follow the NBA and could be convinced otherwise possibly.

Teams that produced great players like Tim Duncan and Chris Paul (Wake Forrest), really haven't produced much else.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    When I posted I almost included a caveat on waiting until Hill came to make it a complete team. However, considering he hasn't played a college game yet it seemed a stretch. I mean nobody can jump from HS to being an elite NBA point guard, koboby can, right? Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  11. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +3,924
  12. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +3,924
    Also worthy of note:

UGA - 2
    FSU - 4
    Tenn - 2
    The Ewe - 6
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Think it says a lot about Donovan. Keep in mind the list will grow with Hill, Fraizer, Walker, DFS, Young, eventually Devin Robinson it looks like.

I was also surprised to see how few last years title game teams (UL and Michigan) had.
  14. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    They are not my 3 examples, they are the teams that won the NBA title in the last five to eight years. When the Spurs won the NBA title, Parker was younger and not nearly as important to that team as he is to the current Spurs.

It will be interesting to see if Calathes has the handle to play NBA basketball now that he has four years of pro experience. Was fancy but not secure with his handle at UF some of the time.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Lots of ways to build great NBA teams w/o an outstanding PG. The MJ era Bulls is an obvious example. None of those former Gators are even close to MJ status, however.
  16. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Well, I guess it is possible that Haslem, Bonner etc will live forever or at least stay in the NBA a few more years. I would not be shocked, if Murphy only lasted a year or part of a year ala Macklin and Bonner and Haslem are not in the NBA by the time those guys above make it there. So I will be pleased if UF can maintain 12. If UF gets towards 15, I will be pretty amazed.
  17. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    UK had 22, but 2/3rd's are 1 and Dones

Not quite as satisfying in my opinion
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Maybe not as satisfying as watching a Haslem or Noah make the transition, but I doubt any of us feel that Beal is any less of a Gator.
  19. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Interesting discussion that REM started, as usual, also interesting that the Gators are behind only Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Arizona and UCLA. Not that players in the NBA is any way to judge either a college team or a college coach. And we may well recall that before Noah, Horford and Brewer, Billy D decided to emphasize likely 4-year players rather than top 25 players in his recruiting. Had he continued to emphasize Top 25 players (like David Lee, Kwame Brown and White), there would likely be more Gators on that list and fewer Gators playing in Europe and other places.

Usually, I say that a team goes about as far as their PG takes them (much like a football team goes as far as their QB takes them, usually). However, as Insti and Lurker point out, basketball teams can function effectively in more than one way, and the thing about Billy D's players, is that he emphasizes ball handling and passing at all positions. Heck Miller can do a very good job at PG, and so, likely can Noah, or almost any of the others in that list. Teams like that are not as dependent on the PG as are teams that really have only one or two outstanding ball handlers and assist generators.