11 Liberal rules for racism in America

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    Not sure if I'm a "white liberal." I am white. I voted for Romney in the last election. I have mostly libertarian tendencies. For me though, I think the idea of "low expectations" is really just the recognition that you can't enslave a peoples for a couple of hundred years, stunt their social and intellectual development, erase their identity and then just snap your fingers and say, "it's a level playing field now." It will take many, many generations for the effects of slavery to work themselves out. I have empathy for what black folks have been subjected to. Is that really condescending?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ironhead1

ironhead1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    Say.

How many generations away from slavery or even Jim Crow are we now?

Hell. Im wondering how many more this us going to take.

Any idea?

You see , I've about had it with the Jacksons and Sharptons and the race baiters and the excuses and the constant whining that all the ills of the AA community is because if slavery

Look in the fn mirror.
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    How many generations should it take? How many generations has it taken historical populations of enslaved peoples to attain equal socioeconomic status to those that enslaved them? How many generations did it take for whites and blacks here in the US to even drink at the same water fountain after the abolition of slavery? How many generations of freedom did it take for the USA to attain equal footing to Britain? Why would we assume that you can just predict these outcomes with our intuition?

I'm not saying that I agree with much from the Jacksons and Sharptons either, but to discount the lasting sociological impact of the institution of slavery simply because you've "had it" doesn't sound much like honest intellectual analysis.
  4. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644

If there is one truth about this country is that it has been very good at fixing itself.
  5. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +271
    Im sorry.

All I heard from your rant is more whining , more excuses and more of the same worn out bs that has been going on for years.
    There are no more excuses.
    AA's have the same opportunities today as any other person in this damn country.

Stop the whining and look in the damn mirror.
  6. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    What a pleasant response. I'd be more than happy to look the data that backs up your claim, but until then, I'd recommend laying off the insults. In fact, I'd recommend laying off of them regardless, unless they constitute your entire argument.
  7. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    You would have to ask the guy who made the quote...Walter Williams...a black man. Re Expectations, IMHO, we do not do anyone any favors to have lower expectations of one person because of race or background. That is horrible and demeaning. When you challenge people, they step it up. When you make excuses for them, they also live up to that expectation.
  8. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Well yes and no. I agree that in general raising expectations can often promote higher levels of achievement, but clearly there are limits. I can expect my 5'2" wife to win the gold in the 100 meters, and this might help her run faster. However, we know that the gold medal is honestly not going to happen. So while the expectations might help, they won't necessarily reach their goal.

And in our case, there is an additional moral component: The US people and US government was complicit in the tragedy of slavery. Does this not generate a moral imperative for the people to act? Consider the Marshall Plan. Did giving aid to Europe indicate that the US had low expectations of their ability? Or was it more, hey, we can't undue the destruction that the war caused, but we can help you mend (and PS don't become communists).

I am not doubting that this situation is going to require initiative from the ostensibly disadvantaged individuals themselves, but I don't see why recognizing that personal responsibility is essential necessarily means that opportunity is equal. From the data that I've seen, it is highly highly unlikely that opportunity is equal at this point in time, and this has nothing to do with my expectations of black people. It is a comment on the state of society. I have no idea what, if anything, I recommend to help the issue, but as an armchair sociologist, I certainly can't abide by "Look in the mirror, you lazy asses" as an accurate holistic analysis of the problematic outcomes.
  9. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    PS If I were a black parent (which I am not), I would absolutely be taking your advice. I'd be telling my son that no one owes him anything, and if he wants to make it in this world he's got to earn it himself. It's on him, and that's all there is to it. However, the silent sociologist in me would still know that his socioeconomic prospects would likely be better if he were born into a while family.
  10. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +271
    What a typical response.
    So.....where are the insults?
    Imagined i see Just like your bs claims of white hoods And racists in every HR office in the country.
    You gonna report me to the DoJ?
    Waaaahhhhh

I don't give a rats ass what you recommend. . .

I recommend you wipe that chip off your shoulder and take a walk in the real world.

But please do
    Please research the millions of opportunities lost because of the color of ones skin.

Maybe that man behind the curtain can get you back to Kansas
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,881
    Jews were incinerated as a race as little as two generations ago. Asians of Vietnamese and Cambodian extraction came to this country dirt poor and somehow survived and thrived. Japanese immigrants were treated far worse than Jim Crow blacks during WWII, yet they thrive. Indeed, black Africans come to this nation and do very well.

To quote Thomas Sowell, "Sooner or later, the black community will have to decide to stop making excuses for their problems, stop being victims, and start joining the rest of society." As a poor black kid growing up in Bed-Sty, Sowell has ample understanding and experience in these matters...
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    Well said.
  13. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    I think here we are mixing up the mechanics of African slavery and physical insults to a race. Jews were certainly incinerated, but this is a completely different sociological scenario. People in Pearl Harbor were killed too, but this is obviously not a driving force of socioeconomic depression. The people who were left behind in west Africa are a much closer corollary to your Jewish analogy. And sure, they aren't doing qualitatively much different than east Africans at this point. But African-Americans were brought here to live in this context. It is the relationship to the context in which the group must grow where I would expect the negative effects to rise.

See my post above where I mention how I would parent if I were in a hypothetical black family.
  14. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Yes, I can see how it would be difficult to locate the insults among all the talk about my "whining", "excuses", "BS", and mock crying. Like I said before, come back to me when you are ready to have a reasonable adult conversation. Until then, please stay in your self-proclaimed "real world", and don't post to me again.
  15. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    This thread was spot on.

The MSM are not journalists, but publicists for Obama and liberalism in America.

They will never call out of hypocrisy of liberalism in regards to race.

:no:
  16. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Saying you are whining is now an insult?
    Interesting.

Ironhead1: Poster of the month LOCK.
  17. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Did it used to be a compliment?
    Interesting.

Ooh, you have an inside source at this month's GC Posties? Do you know who will get the best emoticons award?
  18. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    So something is either a compliment or an insult? Weird.
  19. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +761
    I don't know. Clearly, I am not good at this game.
  20. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +682
    River, read 6 on the list. Liberals have done more in the way of harm, to segregation and racism than any other Party. Apparently all conservatives are redneck southern folk living in the 50s and 60s.