10 things we learned from Toledo vs Florida

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mulegator

mulegator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    succinct!

one to add:
    need to clean up the penalties

good game for the coaches to use to coach up the players for game 2. gotta improve for the game vs Miami, on the road.

Defense faces a challenge stopping Duke and Cane fans think Morris at QB is 'bridgewater-like'. they think they'll carve up our secondary like Louisville did.
  3. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +247 / 23 / -7
    Too much can be read into a first game against an opponent that is not on our level of talent, size and experience. I'm excited for this team and can't wait for the Miami game, because they looked pretty good against FAU, a team UM was expected to handle easily. Saturday will be a challenge for both teams. Go Gators.
  4. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 4 / -2
    We showed nothing on offense which we should expect for the first game. The center from Toledo was simulating snaps all day and the officials never called him on it. It drew I think 4 offsides on us, totally illegal. Patton is not ready to be a starter so I hope Robinson or Fullwood takes snaps from him soon. He is a good situational player.
  5. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +195 / 4 / -2
    I have always heard the biggest improvement in a team is made from game one to game 2
  6. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +299 / 27 / -2
    True, but I was actually encouraged even by the penalties. 10 penalties for 70 yards isn't great, but it's better than the 14 penalties for 106 yards in last season's opener against BGSU.

Plus, 3 of the penalties were offsides caused by something the Toledo center was doing that was simulating the snap. I didn't see it but the commentators mentioned that he should have been called for it more than once.

Al-in-all, compared to previous openers where we had a lot of procedure and stupid penalties, I thought the team looked more disciplined than in recent openers.
  7. FormerPoster

FormerPoster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    this is probably the shortest, but most accurate post i've seen on here. Muschamp wants Jeff to be a manager more than a QB, although the latter we had to develop off season.
    You're spot on about Easley, most people don't even recall the ACL surgery he had. And although he played most of the year, he wasn't his normal self. Our game with Toledo is what we can expect from Easley. He is at 100% and he is ready to beat people up.

Also, we'll see Purifoy, Cummings, and Morrison back @ Miami. This alone has me excited to see some scUM get the hell beat out of them.
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    That's what they're saying down there? That their passing game is going to "carve" this secondary "up", huh? I'm interested to see how that plays out. That could happen, though, if we can't tackle Duke Johnson.

Agree with the penalties. The defense completely shut down a good Toledo offense, but the lone problem with their performance was the lack of composure before the snap. The offensive line was a bit more focused before the snap in week one than I expected.

We're not going to go down there and blow Miami out. I expect them to be in it until it's over. I think we get the W.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,112 / 66 / -15
    What's ironic is that I thought this was going to be a post by you, mule, and I planned to make fun of you for reading too much Bleacher Report.
  10. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    I don't read any of that nonsense anymore. I don't watch ESPN Gameday, read the preseason magazines, or listen to the manufactured garbage that analysts on ESPN have to say.

If they don't follow Florida's program, they're going off of statistics, things they've heard from whomever, and don't have a true grasp on what's really going on.

You get more from watching the games and listening to what the coaches actually say than listening to a lot of these fools on television-and the internet. Guys like Desmond Howard and Robert Smith don't have a clue about what's going on in Gainesville.
  11. FormerPoster

FormerPoster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    very true, most people want to talk about our 2nd half offense and how it resembled last years. but muschamp explains why and actually made perfect sense.

""We wanted to run the ball because of what they do offensively,’’ Muschamp said. “We did not want to get into an 80-, 90-play deal [for our defense]. Obviously we were down some defensive players"
  12. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +1,658 / 43 / -10
    Most people here you mean. The nellies.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  13. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172 / 4 / -5
    Muschamp's post game comments disagree. He specifically said he wanted him to control the offense and NOT be just a game manager. The difference is in making the offense work correctly which includes the passing game.

Easley was great...because he is great. However he has the additional assistance of Orr (who is playing at a new level this year) and our highly touted DE's (missing last year) which means offenses have to pick their poison on the D line.

Burton looked great as a receiver and Patton's one drop does not mean he is a bad receiver. he made several plays.

The most important things to me were the improvement in Driskel's reads, his accuracy and the coaching moves of both Ajagbe and Showers. We have way more weapons than last year.

On D, Neiron Ball was a joy to watch as we could have been in trouble if we couldn't find a LB who could cover passes.

Good things coming.
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193 / 10 / -3
    The defense did not show any blitz schemes we basically rushed four down for the game with Toledo.