1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

10 things UF could do to improve attendance at games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bcdowling, Sep 27, 2013.

1. RobotRock

RobotRock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Not everyone lives down the street from the stadium. I live 2 and a half hours away and I know people with season tickets like me that live further away. Once in a while is ok, but not every game. People driving late after a day of drinking and football can be dangerous.
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Let me add one more reason to those that are mentioned elsewhere. Unless you prefer to only have 5 home games, it CAN'T happen.

There are only about 120 FBS teams and they all want to have AT LEAST half their games at home. That can't happen without there being FCS teams in the equation. We might be able to get down to 2 cupcake games if fans are willing to not do as much stadium improvement projects.

I will only say that before TV contracts dictated game times, almost ALL out games were noon starts. ;)

I don't consider it mean spirited but games are not being delays for these things. It's basically as you say using the time of the TV breaks to recognize people or happenings. While you might thinks it's boring, think of what a thrill it must be for some of the people to be out there and recognized in front of 90,000 fans.

This is more of a side effect of all the games being on TV. Back in the days before all the games were on TV, the games were a lot quicker. Would you rather just sit there in the stands for 3-5 minutes with nothing going on?

While I agree with your general thoughts here, you know that most of the fighting and post game troubles comes from those same people who are slamming drinks.

I enjoy drinking, but I consider myself to be a non-aggressive drunk. I know too many people who immediately get aggressive or stupid when they've been drinking.

I get this but I think on top of the issues with the SEC, it may have something to do with the camera feeds. ESPN or CBS might not allow the schools to tap into their feed. I'm not really sure about this. But I do know that there are usage right regulations and in many cases, even ESPN isn't allowed to show highlights of games in different sports until the game is completed.

It might be that the only way we could show replays is if we had our own cameras set up. But that's just a guess.

Don't disagree with you at all here, but either the school has to have someone do this manually or there would need to be some kind of ticket feed that all the schools could tap into that runs automatically. But I do agree scores should be shown. MLB stadiums are able to do it, though granted there are fewer games.

I think every stadium deals with this issue. It's really just an issue of having enough bandwidth available for 90,000+ people. I presume it would basically be like creating a local access point with the bandwidth of the entire city of Gainesville at the stadium.

It's a little different for a professional sports stadium because they have multiple events going on all year long, and in most cases smaller crowds. I think the real challenge for a school like UF is justifying the cost of doing whatever it takes for what is essentially a 3-4 hour period on 6 or 7 days out of the year.

But I agree that something should be done.
  3. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I live three hours away but i still like Night games a hell of a lot more then Day games. And i hope the FSU Game is a night game.
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,702

I live the same distance, 2 1/2 hours away, on the other side of Talla-crappy. I used to drive back at night after night games and get back at around 1:30 - 2:00 in the mornings until my niece started college down there last year so I'll have a place to stay for night games for the next five years. lol

Otherwise, get a room reservation (preferably in lake City, it's cheaper), early in April or May for the game you want to attend. Then it's only a 25 minute drive from Gainesville to LC, and you could head home in the morning.

And myself? I don't drink before, at, or after the ballgames. :no:
  5. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +966
    I notice you haul ass. :ninja:
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,702

Rubbish! I simply go with the flow of traffic. :wink:
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,196
    perfectly put!
  8. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    The original poster seems like a very smart guy, law degree and all. He has some pretty good suggestions but I just want to say to him, Stop smoking, smart guys may start smoking but they don't keep smoking. Over and out.
  9. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    RE: Phillip Morris

So you can't smoke at the games anymore out at the designated areas outside? I forgot where we were exactly but we used to light up somewhere near the north end-zone out on a breeze way or something. So that is no more?

Jeez....
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,385
    I'll say it again. Rock Stars. Tebow, Harvin, Spurrier, Weurffel, Urban....Rock stars fill stadiums.

Get a couple of those and the problem is solved. Winning isn't the solution. Winning --with rock stars -- is the solution.

Its like music. Real fans appreciate good music...but some won't go to a show, unless its a name brand band.

Same with football.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  11. Xm

Xm New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    One of my biggest problems is how obnoxiously loud the PA system is in the stadium. i use to sit in the north endzone for years and now i have given up my season tix because of how loud the speakers are in my section. Of course during a cmmercial break i have to watch 3 stupid cars "race" on the jumbotron or they have to introduce "Billy! The Milk boy of the game!". Overall the experience is not even close to what it use to be and i will be enjoying a cold brew in my air conditioned house while watching the game on 60 inches of crystal clear high definition with scores, replays and most of all no line at the bathroom.
  12. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Some things that would help...

Getting there:
    1. Add hotel rooms. If you don't get a room months in advance you are staying an hour or so away (without traffic) or paying zillions.
    2. Set game times way ahead of time. Need to make arrangement and game times fluctuating a week or two out blows.

A little more convenience:
    3. Take out 5% of the seats by simply spreading the seat numbers a little farther apart. Wasn't an issue as a student but squeezing between alumni whose metabolism hasn't kept up with their diet makes a tight fit.
    4. How about a few more aisles so if you need to hit the bathroom you don't have to spoon with 37 people on the way to the aisle.
    5. Why don't we have drink vendors walking around selling? I don't want to get up and leave the game but some water would be nice.
    6. Internet connection is a joke. How about spending some of the millions on data access for fans?

Wrong advice I've seen here:
    -1. Hip hop and dance music are fine. Keeps the energy up. Especially if the game gets out of hand.
    -2. There are scores on the bottom left of the south end zone regularly.
    -3. Filling the TV timeouts with introductions of other winning teams is fine... The red hat dude stops play for TV and filling the dead space with presentations doesn't do anything to slow game time.
    -4. I suppose smokers can't fly to California either because that is 4-5 hours of no smoking.
  13. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    just get a hotel room and spend the night---problem solved!
  14. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    how about getting tobacco companies to pump in a couple of mil for a smoking zone! they can use it for advertising, PR, give out new products, etc.
  15. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    God yes Gator! More naked women! Agree 1,000 times with this!
  16. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I agree with this whole post! Very well done!
  17. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    #6.

Kamakaze halftime was a UF Tradition that was frowned upon by the league due to countless complaints from the visiting fans at BHG. UF was the last school in the SEC to allow this and it was held onto for as long as it was because of the tradition card being thrown. When the BCS and new bowl contracts were being negotiated, the SEC and Slive used that as leverage to force UF to drop this tradition. A few other schools had to change some things as well but none were as obvious as UF's policy on pass backs into the stadium. This will never come back. UF would have had to fight the league to keep it in the first place and once it was gone, well it ain't coming back.
  18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    A whole 2.5 hours away? LOL.
  19. swampdeaf

swampdeaf Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    No trying to hijack the thread, but when was the last time we won a big time night game played in BHG? LSU in 08?
  20. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    1. Less gristle, more meat.

Not going to happen. We'll get one more SEC game soon enough but that's it. Cupcakes are here to stay. But a little thought into the cupcake goes a long way. Schedule Florida & Georgia teams, and ideally minor conference division I-A, and not division I-AA. I'm thinking FAU, FIU, & Georgia State. Something that would potentially drive a little extra inter-family interest.

2. It's Florida, and no one wants to sit outside at 1:00 in September.

Nope nobody does. This is especially true if we are nationally televised and we all have a reasonable alternative. But TV money drives this requirement. Best I can hope for is to equalize the number of games at every time slot. So if there are SEC games, 3 get 12, 3 get 3:30, and 3 get 7pm slots. Networks would get to pick which is which. Moreover, guarantee every team a certain number of night games.

3. I'm there for a football game, not a variety show.

I think this is fine. If we need to break from football, this is not an awful way to waste the time.

4. Let people have their fun.

100% agree.

5. Phillip Morris - a grand southern tradition.

Probably right, but if they do open up the stadium at halftime again then there is no need to allow smoking in the stadium.

6. I like you better when I drink. Let people out during halftime

I'm sure this require renegotiating with vendors, but this is huge. I will say that security is a much bigger deal than back in 2000, so this may only work with an NFL style no purse/bag rule. And I would take that tradeoff.

7. Guess what, there's TV's in the stadium, too!

8. REPLAYS.

Yes!

9. Scores

Scores are fine. I don't want highlight clips of another game except maybe during halftime, and even then only SEC games. Of course if it's the last game of the season and we need another team to lose to get to Atlanta, then they can go further. But in general don't distract from the game in front of us. In any case I can usually get my phone to connect fast enough to report scores.

10. Da Internetz

Ok, but this is pretty minor.