10 things UF could do to improve attendance at games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bcdowling, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I dunno. I agree that where the section used to be at the NW corner of the stadium in a high traffic area was dumb and bothered a lot of people. But I've got to believe there's an area on a higher level in a lower traffic area they could block off, or cordon off a designated area with restricted access outside the stadium like the Georgia Dome does. Again, I totally understand that people don't want to see, smell or be near smoking. But there's got to be a place where smokers can be out of sight and out of mind.
  2. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,775
    Yeah, that demographic does not intersect with football fanatic, does it.
  3. tideroller

tideroller Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Do they pipe in music at Bama games?

Not near as bad as at pro venues. And the band plays during almost all breaks in the action. I was just letting my 50 year old inner grump out about my pet peeve for most athletic arenas.

Side note: I was in the Swamp for Bama's last trip there a couple years ago (the game Brantley went down). Great time. Tailgating before the game with the Gator fans around us was great. Everyone was friendly. No hassles by the police (I've heard y'all mention that is a some time problem). The Gator MILF Brigade definitely added to the atmosphere.:grin:
  4. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Great points except for allowing smoking. I also think we can solve the contract bit about who controls when we play by simply stating that the University of Florida WILL NOT play home football games before 4PM during the months of August and September! If the SEC and ESPN don't like it....tough!
  5. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Let me "frisbee" my Gator cup cap!
  6. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    The problem is that it works in the exact reverse now. ESPN is paying us (the SEC) for the rights to broadcast our games at the times THEY want. That's why we can no longer dictate when our games will be. In the old days we could tell Jefferson Pilot or Sunshine Sports or whoever when and where to be and they were geeked just to be there. WE held all the leverage. That's also why we, as fans, could plan out going to games months in advance. Not so anymore, and it definitely sucks. We wind up with scenarios like the Arkansas game next week when we won't know until SUNDAY when the game will be (since CBS exercised their 6-day option on the game).
  7. chipleygator

chipleygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I've been a season ticket holder for over 30 years. Am a UF grad and a non drinker. I come to the game to see the Gators play. I love college football and do not care at all for the NFL. I have been to a few of the games, however. I love college football on campus because of 1. No beer in the stadiums (did anyone go to Miami, what a bunch of drunks), 2. The bands play rather than piped in music (did anyone go to Miami, what a loud bunch of awful music), 3. The people at the UAA want those there to see the games to enjoy the games rather than having to put up with some drunk Miami fan falling all over you. (They will remove them). I could go on but won't. I go to the games for the game, not the party. If you want to party go to Miami.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    I disagree (and not because you are a Bama fan). One of the few things I enjoy more about NFL games over college is that there is no ridiculous marching band. I may be in the minority, but I've never enjoyed the band -- not in high school and not in college. I completely understand that they practice hard and I can't play a note of an instrument, apart from the gazoo. But if I were dictator I would restrict their participation to the half time show (when I'm off uploading chow and downloading piss anyway) and go exclusively with canned music during the game.
  9. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    at BHG stadium, they play loud, annoying piped in music during almost every break.
  10. Swamp55

Swamp55 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +263
    +1 on the need to cut down on the ANNOYING booming piped in music! The atmosphere feels more and more like an NFL game (and that is NO compliment). Let the band(s) play during the breaks in the action. It's a COLLEGE game!

Please ditch the stupid promotional stuff like the "car race" on the video boards. I understand the need to generate revenue, but there has to be a less irritating way to do it.

Tell the PA announcer that when the crowd had a big cheer going, e.g., ORANGE-BLUE, to not drown it out with an ad for Billy Bob's Towing Service or the like. Nothing kills crowd cheering like being blasted this way.

(To be fair and mention a positive recent development: I love the new approach to doing the Mr. Two-Bits routine at the beginning of games. Great idea.)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,373
    Wait. What? Its not like a NFL game, but its gotten pretty bad.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  12. InagaddavidaGator

InagaddavidaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    A-men. I have always felt that the band(s) were always a needless distraction (exception: when FAMU came to town). It seems like an antiquated holdover from a previous age. Also, while you're add, please get rid of the "orangenBLUE, orangenBLUE" guy with the crocs.
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    Good grief. No band?

Snare drums rat a tat tating practically make the atmosphere.
  14. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    More offense, more fun and gun, more points.

Less 3 yards and a cloud of a dust. Even our wives want that
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    Your wife needs 3 yards? :whoa:

:ninja:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    all of the above. I started wearing a radio headset to drown out the damn blaring piped in hip hop crap music and commercials.

In reply to the OP,
    1. I agree
    2. UF just doesn't control the decision here, the money talks. Its hot, but some folks can't go to late games because getting home at 1am is not fun.
    3. Recognizing other student athletes takes nothing away from the game. I'm all for it, because if they were not doing this you would get a commercial blaring in your face and ears.
    4. True
    5. I don't smoke. 82.5% majority rules. I guess from your post they did away with the smoking area I remember on the concourse?
    6. Too many underage students in the Swamp to allow drinking. Get loaded before the game, have fun and by the end you're sober enough to drive home.
    7. & 8. It would be nice if they showed more game action and replays on the screens.
    9. I agree, this should easily be done. I noticed years ago they didn't keep up with other scores as well as they used to in The Swamp. I doubt we'll ever see clips of other games, but I don't care about that. I'll watch highlights later.
    10. That would be nice and enable us to do 7, 8, & 9 ourselves.
  17. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317

Can't have college football w/o a marching band. That's life.

I can't agree more with the bolded part. That pregame part needs to change.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    You got it backwards. You download chow and upload piss.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    I agree but if you are going to make it to where you can smoke in the stadium for the love of god make it out of sight and out of mind i don't smoke because you are basically smoking death and nor do i want to smell it either.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    If they can find a place and vent it so the smoke gets blown out of the stadium, I think that'll work.
    • Like Like x 1