10 things UF could do to improve attendance at games

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by bcdowling, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    This is a combination of several threads below, and is an issue which bugs me as well. For reference, I graduated undergrad in '97 and law school in '01. I'm a Bull Gator and attend every home game and FL/GA, absent an irreconcilable conflict or Act of God (away games are tough - I've got 4 little kids :happy:). These are in no particular order, but come from speaking with a lot of other boosters and reading posts on this board and elsewhere.

1. Less gristle, more meat. I don't want to rehash the same old arguments about scheduling cupcakes. We're all aware of the economic issues involved, that we need those home games every year for financial reasons (instead of a home and home with a quality opponent), blah, blah, blah. You know what? Noone cares about the reasoning. If you want people to be excited to come to games, don't schedule Toledo and Georgia Southern. Period. Suck it up, adjust the budget and do a home/home with North Carolina or Texas Tech or whoever. We're a wealthy program with a lot of smart people - you can budget around one less home game every other year.

2. It's Florida, and noone wants to sit outside at 1:00 in September. I understand that UF has less control over this because of the TV contracts but, and this ties into the point above, I bet ESPN would be more interested in putting our game at 3:30 or 7:00 if it didn't, for lack of a better word, suck.

3. I'm there for a football game, not a variety show. I don't want this to come across as mean spirited, and I really am proud of our golf team/volleyball team/gymnastics team, but can we maybe push some of that stuff to halftime or before the game or something? I understand that they're at commercial break anyway for some of that, but I can't escape the feeling that the whole game is being dragged out while we publicly recognize group or individual X. Particularly if it's 1:00 in the afternoon (see point 2, above).

4. Let people have their fun. I understand that there are liability issues involved (as you may have guessed from my law school reference above, I'm an attorney). But as numerous people have pointed out, the university have really turned into a bunch of cast iron, wet blanket, Dean Wormer -style jerks. OK - if someone is lighting a car on fire or punching someone in the face then the cops should intervene. But do they really need to be walking around to tailgates where noone is bothering anyone and checking ID's? Do they really believe that students, in response to this policy, are just going to decide to tailgate and not drink?

5. Phillip Morris - a grand southern tradition. This one is a bit controversial and, in the interests of full disclosure, I am a smoker. According to a 2009 CDC study, 17.5% of Floridians are smokers. I don't want this to be a pro-smoking/anti-smoking argument. I'm just stating facts. There's absolutely a percentage of people that don't attend games because they can't catch a smoke at halftime. I absolutely understand that a lot of you hate smoking and don't want to smell it, even if it's not near you. But it's a bigass stadium - there's got to be an area they can designate where we can go congregate and not bother anyone. I don't care if it's like the "death chambers" at the Atlanta airport.

6. I like you better when I drink. I get that the University is trying to limit "ticket abuse" by not letting people come back into the stadium if they leave. But one of the great joys in life in college used to be running across the street to the Porpoise at halftime, gunning 4 or 5 drinks, and then running back for the second half kickoff. Relatedly, some people would probably like to mosey back to their tailgate, grab a bite to eat, have a beer, whatever. So what if a some students sneak in some other people? At this point, aren't we trying to get more people in the stands anyway?

7. Guess what, there's TV's in the stadium, too! There are two related points below on this also. You know those giant screens in the endzones? It would be really nice if we used them for something other than advertisements (thanks, but, I was already aware that UF had a med school...). I understand some amount of advertising is a necessary evil, but man, sometimes it looks like it's just filler. Find something more interesting to show. Such as...

8. REPLAYS. This is going to turn into a rant, but I just can't help it. SHOW ME WHAT JUST HAPPENED THAT HAS CAUSED PLAY TO STOP. If there was an injury, show me the play. If there was a penalty, keeping showing it forwards, backwards, sideways, from the skycam - gimme whatever you got. You know - LIKE THEY DO ON ACTUAL TV AT HOME? I've heard anecdotally that there is some sort of SEC rule that regulates this. That's complete horsecrap which, I bet, could be fixed really quickly (the Big-10 just did this - and now allows unrestricted replays on team jumbotrons. Great - now the Big-10 is more progressive than us). This is probably my single biggest gripe.

9. Scores Maybe I wouldn't be sitting on my phone trying to figure out scores in other games if you would just show them to me? Ever think of that? As far as I can tell, they run a haphazard scroll of random games in small font on a schedule of "whenever we get around to it." If you want to try and make the game experience comparable to the home HDTV experience, there needs to be a CONSTANT feed of Top 25 and SEC scores prominently running at all times. In fact, while you're at it, how about showing me prominent highlight clips (again, like at home)? Given the nature of our TV contracts, is there any reason we couldn't get that stuff?

10. Da Internetz I've heard they're working on this (and if they'd like to crowdsource it through a fundraiser, I'd be happy to donate something). There needs to be decent Wi-Fi access in the stadium when full. This is absolutely doable (many stadiums have already done it). One of the great things about going to games is running in to people, taking selfies, phone pictures of the fistfight 3 rows behind you, etc. This stuff all gets posted on the internet and is free advertising for the university, the program and the game. This is the age we live in. We're a top tier program with a lot of money. Fix this. People should be able to text/email/access the internet during games.

I've got a couple more, but I promised a Top 10 list and these are the Top 10 off the top (!) of my head. I'm genuinely interested in people's thoughts. Oh, and let's kick some blugrass butt this weekend. God bless and GO GATORS.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Sell beer.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gatorrocks

gatorrocks Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    That's actually pretty good stuff.

I agree that UF REALLY is acting like Bloomberg up in NYC and creating a nanny state.

Guess what? People drink and get unruly. It's part of the experience.

I know it's a place of "education" but not on Saturday. I'm sorry, but it's game time Saturday. Let it be and let people have fun.
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    all great points. rep to you!
  5. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,828
    More cowbell.
    More naked women always helps too. ;).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Don't drink. There, just solved at least two of your problems for you.
  7. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    This, and make tickets easier to get/more affordable. The new "ticketexchange", but just make the tickets available without having to deal with mark up prices from being sold second hand.
  8. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Again, I'm not trying to pass judgments on people's lifestyle choices. I'm stating facts. People like to drink, and the University interfering with that unquestionably limits game attendance. The "morality" of drinking is a completely different discussion for a completely different thread/forum/website.
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    send this to the UAA.
  10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Less heat. More wins. More hot cheerleaders.
  11. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,933
    Great read thanks for posting! I couldn't agree more!
  12. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    LOL, funny guy
  13. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    5 would cause less people to go
  14. newsgator

newsgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,740
    Probably true.

But 6 gives smokers an option... if they can get out of the stadium at halftime, they can grab a quick smoke. Or drink. Or bite to eat... etc.

Overall, I think the OP nailed it.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tideroller

tideroller Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I'm just a lowly Bama fan so I realize my opinion doesn't matter, anyway :grin:

My response is more generic and not Swamp-specific. LESS PIPED IN MUSIC!!! Not sure if the Swamp is afflicted with this, but modern sporting events drive me crazy in this regard. It's as if stadium operators feel they have to fill every pause in the action with over-amped aural stimulation. Stop it! At a college football game I'd rather hear the band than "Welcome to the Jungle" or the latest hip-hop garbage attacking me.

I'm old/get off my lawn/you meddling kids/etc
    • Like Like x 1
  17. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Do they pipe in music at Bama games?
  18. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    So it sounds like only teetotalling nonsmokers that enjoy roasting in 100 degree heat watching mediocre entertainment with their legs crossed are truly welcome. Sounds like a yoga instructors convention. Removes a bit of the mystery about the decline.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    LOL to that ...
  20. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    To the contrary, friend - you're opinion does matter. This is an issue affecting college football at large. I can only give recommendations based on the stadium I regularly sit in, though. :grin:

Actually, I don't really think the Swamp has this particular problem. Our band tends to play during the breaks, which I kind of like. Only occasionally does music get played over the speakers. I've definitely noticed this as a problem at pro games, though.