#1 Worst Workout

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Gatormb, Apr 9, 2013.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    How come a lot of girls I know who run a lot have smokin' bodies?
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Dare I say it ? HIIT is generally oversold.
  3. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    I dont know many people outside of fad enthusiasts that oversell HIIT. It's like any other cardio. You get what u put in.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Ah, but what does the average fitness enthusiast get from it ? We know that *certain*, but certainly not all or even most athletes' sports require something akin to HIIT. But they aren't fixated on calorie burn either.
  5. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Nope fad enthusiast != fitness enthusiast

But they get the same calorie burn as they would on a treadmill as a function of effort.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Yes, but fitness enthusiasts are the most vulnerable people to fads. Check that, fitness trainers may be worse.
  7. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Sure. Idk.

I know 3 types of fit people, those who do their routine, tried and true. Fad-ists doing p90x, crossfit, hIit, the flavor of the year, and everyone else. Those in the 2nd and 1st groups are fitness enthusiasts but only the 2nd are fad enthusiasts. The 1st group, is very resistant to fads.

I'm saying rarely does anyone else besides group 2 oversell HIIT. Most agree that it is just another form of cardio. No "secret", no way to cheat the system.

Fitness trainers I know oversell fads because that's what people who need training like. It's their job, they'll do anything for the $$$. You won't be seeing the trainers doing xfit unless they themselves are part of group 2.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Well, if your paragraph II is correct, that makes the public more savvy and knowledgeable than fitness trainers and even lots of strength and conditioning coaches. Many or even most of the 'experts' are prone to believe in magical fads.
  9. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    No, I'm simply saying that fit people don't really believe in HIIT, unless they are one of the fad fit people who just follow the flavor of the year workout.

And I never said anything about the public, only fit people. The the guy doing machines 1 time per week. Or the girl walking on the treadmill for 30 mins do she can indulge in a yogurt.

As I said before most trainers I know are never doing HIIT or fads. They just sell them because the person that walks in through their door saw the latest fad as an easy way into fitness, and he/she wants the trainer to teach them that. If I were a trainer I wouldn't turn down a client because he/she wants to do a specific type of workout.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Sorry, don't buy it. Most trainers are captive to fads, to say nothing of the general public. As to the general fitness enthusiast, I doubt that 1 in 20 understand the nuances of the HIIT vs. steady-state controversy. Most fitness enthusiasts engage in forms of exercise they are 'drawn to', regardless their efficacy or specificity.
  11. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Well that's just what I see. Obviously you probably see differently.

I'll simplify what I'm trying to say:

People who know their stuff: don't oversell HIIT and see it as efficient as normal cardio.

People who don't: oversell every new fad.

Keep in mind I only know 6 trainers which are friends of mine for a long time. Meaning our ideas could be different than the norm.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    I get what your saying. As counterbalance (never mind grunts like myself), here is a random sampling of widely-known/highly-regarded coaches and trainers as well as a couple of highly-credentialled coaches who helped me in the early going:

*He has multiple college degrees in neurophysics, is a noted author and trains world-class MMA fighters and Hollywood celebs. Currently, he's a wild-eyed adherent/promoter of the Warrior Diet. He hangs on every word the inventor of the diet says.

*His wildly successful exercise DVD's have made him a household name. He's also a zealous vegetarian and claims that those who want to maximize their bodies should never "eat anything with a face."

*He has multiple college degrees in exercise science, three separate certifications from prestigious governing bodies, has worked with an NBA team ... and he's hooked on the kettlebell craze. Thinks it's a 'must' training strategy.

*He's a former Navy Seal and trainer to Hollywood celebs. When asked if he asks his clients to restrict sugar and alcohol he responded, "I don't ask them. I DEMAND it."

*She's a well-known Central Florida trainer (and obsessive exerciser) who cajoles her clients into running marathons and/or triathlons.

*He has a college degree in exercise science, holds multiple certifications and runs a successful training facility in Florida. He also recently went head-over-heals for a quack diet.
  13. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Well damn, those trainers suck xD

One session with my trainers and it'll rip your body a new one, all from the rack.

I believe those trainers are probably selling those ideas. But I could be very wrong.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    Most trainers don't train you. They exercise you. Exercise is going for a 'feel.' An example of this would be the trainer who ensures that you will feel trashed pretty much every time out.

Ceertainly, this has the net effect of convincing you that you've gotten your money's worth. But it's not an effective way to foster adaptations and experience long-term progress.
  15. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Wow did I get lucky. Trainers I know start off with asking goals, then proceed to work to that.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    I thought you said he ripped you a new one ?
  17. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Not me. Never said me. I've never gotten their professional help since they are old HS buddies. But I have worked out with them and they do teach me stuff. One of them helped me get my deadlift up to 300.

Tearing you a new one is part of reaching those goals. They'll push you at whatever workout you want to do.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    I suppose it very much depends on what is meant by 'ripping a new one.' 'Pushing' may be very different than 'ripping.'

Training should generally be such that adaptations are forced to occur. But you rarely have to do anything remotely close to leave someone a puddle of goo for this to occur. And while I'm on the subject, Crossfit's 'puke bucket' is patently absurd.
  19. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Just my opinion here...

Just because a trainer/adviser follows some sort of fad diet or exercise routine, doesn't make him a quack in itself. As long as they are rooted in the fundamentals, and realize that other fundamentally sound methods also apply/work, then the application method doesn't really matter much. Maybe they find a "fad" or method is easier to implement or execute? Who knows.

NOW, if they start coming off as "That other stuff is worthless and will get you nowhere and this fad is magic in a can, you CAN"T GO WRONG".. well, then they are just an idiot with an empty can.
  20. PITBOSS

PITBOSS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Yeah I think that's common with many trainers .