#1 Worst Workout

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Gatormb, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +821
    Got this email solicitation and thought you experts might like to comment.

And the answer is (drum roll please...)

CARDIO!

That's right, long boring cardio is officially the WORST workout of the year.

Why?

Well first, it's boring. I mean, who actually enjoys sitting on an exercise bike or running on a treadmill for 45 minutes? Not many people.

But much more important than that, it fails to produce fatloss RESULTS. Are there health benefits? Sure. But you can get those same health benefits (and more) with much shorter, much more exciting, and invigorating workouts. More on that in a minute...

But first, here's what research has to say about cardio:

Utter AC, et al. Influence of diet and/or exercise on body composition and cardiorespiratory fitness in obese women. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Sep;8(3):213-22.

-In this 3 month study, women did 45 minutes of cardio a day, 5 days a week, and lost no more weight than those who dieted alone! Seems like a royal waste of time to me!

But perhaps this one study was a fluke? Nope!

Redman et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jan 2.

-In this study, subjects did 50 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week, and once again lost no more weight than those who dieted alone!

Well, maybe if they increase it to a full HOUR of cardio a day, SIX days a week, then cardio will actual product substantial results? No again!

McTiernan et al. Exercise Effect on Weight and Body Fat in Men and Women. Obesity 2007 June - 15:1496-1512.

-Over the course of this one year study, subjects performed aerobic exercise for 60 minutes a day, 6 whopping days a week (who even has TIME for that?) and lost only 3.5 pounds on average in an entire YEAR!

3.5 pounds of fatloss after an HOUR of exercise, nearly every day, for an ENTIRE year. Man, oh man, cardio really is the worst workout ever!

But as mentioned, there is a much better alternative, and that alternative lies in short, intense bouts of exercise.

In fact, a recent study published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that 15 minutes of a circuit-style resistance training workout elevated metabolism for a full THREE days! And that's only from 15 minutes!

Other studies have found similar results with interval style workouts as short as 4 minutes producing dramatically more fatloss than long, extended bouts of cardio.

Here's an example bodyweight, short-burst exercise routine that you can try today to boost your metabolism and your fat loss results:

30 seconds of bodyweight squats
    30 seconds of push ups
    30 seconds jumping jacks

Repeat 4 times.

That workout right there only takes SIX minutes and you'll burn way more fat than you will with those long, drawn out, boring cardio sessions.

But here's the real secret...

NO workout will ever help you lose fat unless you get your nutrition in order. Unfortunately, nutrition is an area where most people really struggle, and sticking to a "diet" long term can be near impossible.

But, have no fear... Coach Josh is here! At the link below, I'm going to take all the guess work out of your nutrition and give you a step-by-step diet to follow that's not only easy to understand, but even EASIER to follow.

Just follow the 3 simple steps I give you here. After all, I show you exactly what foods to eat...it couldn't be easier:

==> Step-by-Step What to Eat for Fat Loss (SO Easy!)

Enjoy!

Coach Josh

-------
    Josh Bezoni
    Co-Founder, BioTrust Nutrition
  2. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    GWC, That is way too long. Summarize.
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    I find these sorts of arguments highly annoying. Fairly well-known trainers send emails to me pronouncing cardio dead ... and simply recommending another mode of cardio. Ooooo! How cutting-edge!

To review:

steady-state = cardio

HIIT = cardio

Neither burns a lot of calories.
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,401
    But one takes a lot longer.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Yes, but let me make 3 points:

(1) many people find steady-state more enjoyable. Certainly it's more sustainable.

(2) HIIT does burn slightly more calories per minute and slightly more through EPOC. But owing to the intensity of HIIT, you can't preform nearly as much of it as steady-state. Thus, overall calorie burn is probably going to be a wash.

(3) For many athletes (or hacks like us seeking to emulate them in the way we train), HIIT is not an adequate substitute for steady-state. Ex: many MMA athletes are performing both these days. And remember boxers ? They never have stopped doing 'roadwork.'

I'm not saying that HIIT isn't useful for specific goals. I am suggesting that the way it is pimped these days are suggestive of another fad.
  7. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,401
    I'll agree with most of that.

I integrated 1 HIIT/week this winter on the trainer and I can tell you the results were quite noticeable on my first few mtb rides of the season (still some snow here). Not quite mid-season form, but close. I've also been doing more weight training, so not exactly a controlled experiment, but I think it lends itself particularly well to cycling.
  8. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    I usually do 30 mins of gym Cardio after my workouts, and HIIT sprints and wr/cb work on days I don't do weights
  9. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I swim 3000 yards three times a week. (interval training for sure-sprints, strokes variations, cool down) Takes an hour each day. If I did stairs and push ups I would need nothing else. Slow strict form push ups are great. Stairs are great, get ye ole big muscle group in your thighs cooking. Well, okay, pull ups would really compliment it all too...the best is if you get a hot babe to follow up the stairs.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    I played an hour of basketball on Wednesday night. Full court, 5-on-5 with 1 alternate each.

That's cardio. It was great, it was fun, I probably burned 1200 calories.
  11. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Problem is I'm terrible at basketball. :(
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Haha I had the same thought.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    I'm classroom training at Red Ventures right now. During breaks there is an indoor basketball court literally next to the training room. So, I shoot baskets for a few minutes. Running to retrieve the ball certainly confers a 'cardio' effect.

During other breaks I avail myself to the fitness center which is just next to the basketball court. I might do some pullups, kettlebell swings, med ball tosses or a little bit of dumbbell work.

Also, there is a nature trail. Aside from that, there are lots of stairs in the facility to climb. So, turns out I'm able to organically work exercise into the daily grind.

Oh, and to save a little time I'm experimenting with dead-stop training. Goblet squats, pullups, rows, etc. Ex: on pullups, hang at bottom, for a second or two, then pull, not jerk. It's supposedly taxing on the nervous system. So, I don't do a lot of it.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    One further point: there is no such thing as 'cardio.' That is, there is no such thing as an exercise which isolates your heart and lungs. In a sense, it is the function of the heart and lungs to service the muscles. Work the muscles and guess what else gets worked ?

Continuing, it is generally claimed that while strength training is valuable, it must be supplemented, for the sake of 'heart health', with (and here's the false controversy) either steady-state or something like HIIT.

This is likely nonsense. Forms of exercise generally termed 'cardiovascular' likely yield peripheral and even fleeting benefits beyond that of *specific conditioning.*
  15. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,401
    Deadlift a butt-ton of iron then check the heart rate....
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    .. that's what I'm talking about.
  17. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    In general, I agree with the "no such exercise that isolates heart + lungs"...

That said, get your "cardio" from weights all you want, then when playing basketball, guard the guy who either plays a lot of soccer or runs every day. Then come and try and sell me that there "is no cardio."

-----

In terms of HIIT... From what I read, overall steady state stuff is better. Technically speaking, HIIT is far more effective, but it requires you to push yourself literally up to the limit to get the benefit, and people just don't do that, especially on their own. Thus, end up doing 50% or less by the end, and completely mitigating anything benefit HIIT brings over steady state.
  18. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,287
    I would love it if everyone in my age group just did weights for their triathlon training. There is no way to substitute 5-6 hours on the bike, 1-1.5 hour swims and 2 hour runs with weights.

That being said, in my particular routine I substitute an hour of strength training for 1 hour of swimming while I am in training mode. I find a good benefit for keeping my legs and core strong while all of my other time is doing one of those three cardio workouts.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    I know this is really just semantics but I think there is a huge difference between gym cardio, which the studies seem to be addressing, and sports conditioning.

You can in fact lift weights faster to improve cardiovascular performance but in order to be competitive in a sport such as triathlon or basketball that would likely not be enough.
  20. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    The thing with cardio is that you can do it for hours.

Try dead lifting for 2 hours or so, and you are a man beast. Your heart will probably be out of your body by then.