1-3-1 zone

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Dec 11, 2013.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +496
    So as far as I can recall we had not employed the 1-3-1 before this season. I know John Beilen popularized it at WV and Michigan. Are we seeing a resurgence in this style of defense? Is this something you think we'll play a lot, or Billy just thought it matched up well against KU?
  2. LabraGator

LabraGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    I'm not sure about before this season, but I'm positive we've used it before, this season.

I don't recall the game, but I recall Donovan discussing the defense with Mick.
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +496
    Interesting. Must just be a matchup thing that Billy recognizes.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    WE used it against UConn once Wilbekin went down to try to take advantage of our length, it did not work out.
  5. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Pretty sure we used it from time to time back during the two national championship seasons.
  6. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Wilbekin is a strength at the base of the 1-3-1; he has quickness enough to make passes into the corner difficult. We go 6'8", 6'9". 6'8" across the middle and a 6'6" Prather out front. I am wondering if Walker will be able to fit into this defense.
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    We rarely used it previous to this season. In previous seasons we went predominately to a 2-3 zone and occasionally to a 3-2 zone. This season I have been seeing 1-3-1 a lot more.

Running a 1-3-1 puts enormous pressure on the "1" that runs the baseline if the opposing team is savvy and knows how to pass the ball. I am thinking that Coach BD recognized that Kansas was both young and deficient at the PG position (Duh? Didn't everyone?) so going 1-3-1 was going to work like a charm.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 1bobcat

1bobcat VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    I believe we used it in the FSU game for the first time.
  9. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +365
    We did show it a lot against FSU. Since FSU couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from outside the 3 point line any zone would have worked.
  10. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Rim protector (aka shot blocker) :p
  11. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    KU has struggled against it the last few games....especially against Colorado. Nice move by Billy D, I like being able to show different looks....just something else for the defense to think about.
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    You fit your defense to you opponent, and it is always a good idea to switch defenses at various times during the game to make the opponent's offense more difficult. Generally, a zone requires less effort from the defenders, although it weakens rebounding position and defense against the 3. The 1-3-1 is not as restful for either of the 1s because they must cover the width of the court, which is very taxing against a good-passing team like say the Gators.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    When Mick asked him about it following the Jax game, he said it was the first time he had ever used it.
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    After last night, I guarantee you we'll be seeing a lot more of it this season. It simply devastated the Jayhawks. When Billy sensed a little fatigue and switched to a 2-3 zone at the start of the 2nd, Kansas started to get a little momentum back.
  15. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    In years past, a favorite tactic of Donovan was press, press, press, with man-to-man in the halfcourt, and then when the opponent started to tire in the last 5 or 6 minutes, he'd switch to zone, and watch the leg-tired opposition start to miss all their jumpers.
  16. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +365
    That could be. I can't ever recall a steady diet of 1-3-1 before then, but that doesn't mean that we might not have flashed it for a possession or two in previous seasons. I don't remember every possession. If BD says it is so I will believe.
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,200
    I think we installed it against Kansas because they came in as a poor perimeter shooting team. I don't doubt they use it some more this season, but would not expect to see alot more of it this season, unless we come up against poor perimeter shooting teams.
  18. UFish

UFish Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    We haven't had the length on the perimeter to turn to a defense like that and count on it to be effective consistently since...maybe ever. Even with the '04s, we had two 6'0-6'1 guards out on the perimeter. We have six guys (seven if you count Devon Walker), with the lateral quickness and the length to both stay in front of their man and disrupt passing lanes very effectively in a 1-3-1. DFS at 6'8, Yeguete at 6'7, Prather at 6'6, Frazier at 6'4, Wilbekin at 6'2, plus Hill at 6'0 I would guess has at least a 6'5 wingspan just looking at him.

If we're going to turn to that as a staple of our defense this season, we better learn how to rebound out of it. At one point during the 21-0 run, we led the margin on the glass 14-6. We were outrebounded 34-16 the rest of the game.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    You are always going to struggle rebounding in a zone. Those rebounding numbers look even worse when your opponent keeps throwing the ball out of bounds or losing it in the lane rather than missing shots. Our early margin was really the result of a ridiculous amount of offensive boards (when they showed that statistics, we had just corralled two offensive rebounds before a Kansas foul). You aren't going to keep that up all game long.
  20. gatorlife

gatorlife Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    What zone does Syracuse play? (or as I've heard it referred to as the Syracuse zone)