0bama leading from behind on Egypt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Aug 16, 2013.

1. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Holding exercises like this is clearly a ruse to trap our military. We need to keep our military as far away from strife as we can.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gypt-morsi-riots-military-government/2658835/
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    I don't either. One thing is they want our aid and our equipment.
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
  4. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    I don't think there is a convenient answer to Egypt. If we have any real interest there it is to make sure that a powerful army isn't ready to start a bloodbath in the Middle East by invading Israel. Other than that, this is a civil war and the army didn't like where the Muslim Brotherhood was taking the country. Not much different than most third world countries.

If you want to talk about lack of leadership, how about just about every President since Woodrow Wilson who endorse/prop up financially leaders of foreign countries who claim to be our ally but treat their citizens poorly. Say what you want about radical Islam but it didn't get started without some real issues.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    This will never happen with Egypt's army military leader in control. He's not a hot head.
  6. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    I would suggest he go on another vacation. He seems good at that.
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    If anyone cares, here's my two cents. He wanted the former prez (muslim brotherhood) to stay in power even though that's not what the revolutions was for. The people were pissed and had another revolution "mini" to get the "wanna be theocrat" out of office with the help of the military, only to have the military put another "wanna be theocrat light" in office. So walla here we are again with the people that want a SECULAR government vs. the religion of peace people that want sharia law and want to kill Christians and nuns. It's really not that hard as to what to do here. All Hussein has to do is call countries like Jordan, maybe Turkey, Iraq and Kuwait and start a discussion on how to bring peace in Egypt. It's obvious what the people want so you start there. All he has to do is "OK, the people want a secular government, how can we start the process?" He WON'T do that though because he wanted the Muslim Brotherhood dude in charge. That's why he won't do CHIT.

As far as Syria goes, if I were him I wouldn't help either side because you have terrorists vs. terrorists. The rebels aren't going to do any good if they get control of the country and if Assad stays in control it will still be a terrorist state. What I would do is approach the same countries in the region and ASK THEM, "ok so what do you want Syria to look like after the fighting?" You get their response. Then all he has to do is if there is a consensus which will probably be "end the fighting and have a representative government of the people whether it be Islamic or secular." He won't do that either because his is IN OVER HIS HEAD.

It's really not that hard. On Syria, if you have the countries in the region tell Assad, you have to leave and he doesn't all you have to do is go "seal team 6" on his butt.
  8. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    For a president that campaigned on improving US foreign relations your boy does so much work (on the golf course) with the leaders of the rest of the world.

He doesn't have to back either side, but he could actually make some strong recommendations with the results tied to the $$$$$ we send to Egypt every year.

Obama is
    such a weak president he has shown repeatedly he can't or won't act if a country crosses a line he has drawn, that $$$$ is his only tool, very few if any world leaders fear him or the US. This is where his apologies and leading from behind have eroded our respect (countries fear of the US backing up what we say). At this point who would take him seriously?

Row, maybe O needs a little Grenada to whip up on then maybe, just maybe, his words (implied threats of US action) would strongly encourage Egypt to move in the right direction. When you act like a weakling on the world stage like Obama has, you get what we have right now! What country hasn't given O the thumb? I've heard there's a recording out the of Putin referring to O as "my little bitch". I

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I think Libya is a little bigger than Grenada and Qaddafi is dead because Obama again went beyond what the Pentagon and in this case European allies wanted in enforcing a no fly zone and instead provided air support against Qaddafi. If you didn't read republican bumper stickers you wouldn't have anything to say.
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Two interesting articles in today's NYT`s about Egypt.

1 Military probably incited the brotherhood on purpose to marginalize them in the public eye and avoid having to negotiate with them in the future. This is based on interviews with numerous foreign affairs experts on the area.

2 The military has a few chips of their own to use against us since they now grant us immediate fly over and head of the line Suez canal rank for military supply to Afghanistan and other hot spots in the region. The article also points out that possible endangerment and accidental involvement of US troops in the present turmoil was reason enough to cancel the joint military exercises, though Obama's public announcement and stated reasons was meant to embarrass the Egyptians.
  11. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,454
    exactly. nothing more, nothing less. imagine if Obama hadn't condemned the violence in Egypt and hadn't cancelled the military exercise. The same people would have been complaining about that.
  12. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    He is conflicted- Muslim brotherhood and all. He really desires for them to be in power. What's a fellow muslim to do?
  13. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    BINGO
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    And as long at it's going to the military, I have no problem.
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    Actually, it was well in place before the age of colonialism. Also, I'm sure the military agrees with you re. Israel. Not sure they are real fond of the idea either. My guess is with Adolph Morsi and the rest of the MB Nazis, the military just decided to cut bait. The guy (and his fascist organization) just don't understand that winning an election doesn't give you the right to take a red pen to the constitution. As I see it with Morsi and the MB, the only thing left (after disbanding the Egyptian version of the SCOTUS) was to burn down the Reichstag and assume the dictatorship.

Military was probably moving in this direction anyway and with the protests felt inclined to go ahead and get it over with.

As I've said before, if only the Wehrmacht had shown similar foresight in 1933.
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    I personally don't like us supplying military supplies to any of those countries. Too easy for it to get into hands that will turn it against us. While I would rather see us keep our money at home too I don't have a real problem with humanitarian aid but even then we have often seen it not go to those it was intended for.
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    Call me crazy, but recent actions (and the fact that many high-level officers are US trained and US friendly) IMO prove that the Egyptian military is one of the few "over there" we can trust.
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    I don't think you are crazy to believe that and you could well be right.
  19. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Well, 0bama's gonna show 'em we'll treat 'em like any other foreigners who help the U.S. We'll ignore them.
  20. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    How exactly is he ignoring them?