0bama leading from behind on Egypt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Aug 16, 2013.

1. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Has it ever been more clear that the community organizer has absolutely no idea what he's doing? As Egypt disintegrates into chaos, Barry has no idea how to approach this from a policy standpoint -- just like his handling of Syria.

Now he's canceled joint military exercises with the Egyptian army. The exercises would have been a chance to see what's going on in country and try to maintain relations with the Egyptian army, which may be the only hope for not having Egypt descend into total chaos.

The "Egyptian presidency" is making more sense than 0bama.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...violence-cancels-joint-military-exercise?lite
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +673
    What would you suggest he do......
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,759
    the ........ leads from behind on everything-however the left will continue to give him a pass
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,023
    You guys know, as well as many others on here, that it doesn't matter how he handles it his approach would be wrong in your eyes. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't just like Bush was in they eyes of many from the left. In that respect nothing has changed on TH, when we changed the POTUS, just the approach certain posters take.
  5. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I would suggest, as the most powerful man in the universe, he get out from behind the horse. Stop smelling the dung and start being a leader. Unfortunately that is not in his repertoire, he doesn't know how to do it. So let's start with him watching some videos of Ronald Reagan when he was president, take lots of notes, practice in front of the mirror a lot, kick Valerie Jarrett out of the oval office, and try really hard to act like you are the most powerful man in the universe!!

Sent by ANDROID peanut butter fudge using Gator Country
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    Specifically, who should he support? The democratically elected government which is a group who is against our interest and has abused power, the moderates who essentially forced a coup if a democratically elected government, or the military who executed the coup and is killing people in the streets?

I just want to know what we as a country are supposed to be doing? It's easy to yell "lead", a little harder to say to where or what. At some point it's up to the Egyptians, not us.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26

Gee, that's very helpful. So you want him to pose more while invading places like Grenada, selling arms to the ayatollah, and pulling marines out Beirut after we lose bunch to a bombing. Ronnie sure looked good on a horse though.

How about a concrete suggestion if you have one that doesn't involve an invasion.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Let the "Brotherhood" killers die in the streets like those terrorists deserve to die.

I say let the Egyptian military handle it... like they are. Obama's doing nothing about this, which is fine by me.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I hate Obama as much as the next guy but I don't think we need to get involved in this mess at all. You can't be critical about Syria and arming FSA terrorists while bashing him for not picking a side with Egypt.
  10. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Are you calling on me to be his foreign policy advisor? Why can't he get his own foreign policy advisor?

Here's a start. Not having a schizophrenic foreign policy would be a good start. The horse is out of the barn . . . . again. But you would think he might have considered how he screwed up in Syria and thought to himself "I don't want my response to a foreign policy to be a disaster like that again." Instead, he's inconsistent with what he's doing. At this point, he's supported multiple different factions in Egypt. The best option at this point is to let the Egyptian military remain in control, but he's already alienated them by pulling out of the joint exercises.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,023
    Why should we care if he alienated the Egyptian military?
  12. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +673
    You said he had no idea about what to do....thought you may have a better idea.
  13. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    What's to be gained by pulling out of the exercises?
  14. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,023
    It was just a few days ago that some on here were complaining he wasn't being tough enough, like Reagan. Now when he gives them a message he is not going along with what they want that seems to be wrong. It can't be both ways. The idea is show we are not happy with how they are handling their demonstrators. Is is the right approach? I'm not sure but in these situations, with these kind of countries, the right approach may not be attainable.

And in answering your question what's to be lost?
  15. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    I gave you one, but you're ignoring it. It would help if he tries to learn from his mistakes since he had to learn on the job -- he had no real leadership job prior to the Presidency. But if he thinks he never makes mistakes, he has nothing to learn, right?
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +991
    Particularly in this situation. I would offer (and perhaps I'm giving him too much credit) that being our friend is not necessarily a good thing for the organization receiving the support. Thus condemning the good guys may be the best thing for them.

For all we know, this is part of the plan. It's my understanding that many members of the Egyptian military were trained by and remain close with their American counterparts. Who's to say there isn't back channel communication. Certainly Obama isn't daft enough to think that the Muslim Brotherhood has the best interests of Egypt at heart.

Just a form-letter speech IMO. I don't think we'll do anything to hinder the progress of sanity in Egypt.
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +991
    I don't think he did. Being our "friend" (and I'm sure the MB is promoting that angle in a vain effort to drum up support) is toxic for whichever party receives it. I don't see us taking any real action (i.e. air strikes, embargos, etc.) which IMO is a good thing. This is the chemotherapy portion of the transition to stability. Let the non-psychos and the military cut out the cancer (MB), then get back to healing the country and normalizing things. Ultimately, I don't see any long term damage from these comments to Egyptian/US relations.
  18. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    The opportunity for the U.S. military to get a better assessment of what's going on without having any commitment to stay or engage anyone. So he continues sending foreign aid, but doesn't have the military work with theirs -- that's just completely incoherent and breeds distrust from all sides.
  19. pecks

pecks Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Lead with a little "walking around sense Nana"! That is a little above his pay grade I'm afraid!
  20. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,023
    The best course of action is to keep our military far away from any possible strife over there. Let them work out their own problems. We are way too eager in this country to get involved in the inner workings of other countries.