“What People Buy With Food Stamps” - The Washington Post.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Jun 9, 2018.

1. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,006
    Doesn't matter. If a positive trend started or accelerated after President Trump's election, then he deserves credit for it. Or if it's a positive trend that started before he was elected, but is continuing on his watch, then at the very least his detractors such as yourself are proven wrong for predicting he was going to be a disaster and screw everything up. In my experience, when confronted with that line of reasoning, Trump's detractors usually lie and deny predicting he'd screw anything up.
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    That must have hurt to type.

upload_2018-6-14_6-55-27.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,063
    And what percentage of Americans have the latest iPhone, a big-screen TV, and a nice car? How many Americans spend over $100 a month on cable TV? Spend $100/month on a cell phone plan? Pay $200/month in electricity running the A/C or heater day and night? Spend 10% of their income on a car payment on a new car? How many Americans spend the maximum a bank will loan them on a house? Spend a fortune on their kids' toys & clothing so they won't be "deprived"?

Americans are highly addicted to consumerism, and some people will go shopping just to make themselves feel better. Is that good financial planning? Of course not.

And if you gave the average "poor" American more money, he or she would just blow it on more crap to enjoy the present at the expense of the future. Saving part of that money would be the last thing on their minds. And even if they said they intended to save some of the money from a windfall (lottery, etc.), check back with them in a year or so and see what's left of it. Their ego and sense of self-worth is tied to the things they can show off NOW on Facebook or Snapchat or in person, not to what might happen 30 years from now.
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,690
    You must know my first wife. :cool:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,832
    Nope. I'm also not upset when I give a homeless person money with the realization that they'll probably use it for alcohol or cigarettes or something else. If that is what they need to feel better, so be it. You worry about yourself, and you let other people worry about themselves.

Hell, what's a necessity? What's a luxury? Good luck drawing that line. Stop trying to treat poor people like second-class citizens. There's a reason we let them make their own calls on their lives. There are so many more important things to worry about in this world than what other people are eating.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,701
    Several years ago, just before, or about the time Trump declared he was running, one of our Too Hot regulars who became arguably Trump's most ardent supporter on this forum, announced he felt justified to lie, and would knowingly lie, if any lie he told would be of benefit to his candidate or in furthering the right wing political agenda.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorknights

Ratings Received:
    +3,690

He's a RE developer, that's what they do. Why do they do it? Because they can. Trumpster can't help himself, he's over 70 and lying is practically ingrained into his DNA. What's scary is, a lot of folks don't see this and fall for his BS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorknights

Ratings Received:
    +3,690
    Several months ago I bought a pack of smokes for one of our homeless neighbors because I could tell he was going through nicotine withdrawal. I figured he was less of a risk if he got his smoke jones on as opposed to wandering around desperate.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,875
    Household Size No. of Children Maximum Monthly Benefits Average Monthly Benefits
    1 $194 $142
    2 $357 $260
    3 $511 $382
    4 $649 $471
    5 $771 $536

Family of three is $511 max and 382 average according to your link.
  10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    I read it as no of children. Says both in the title so a bit confusing. Govt!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,909
    Let's say a family of 4 gets $550. Could you buy 30 days worth of food for that?
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,875
    I think the figures are for a family making $20k/year, but still "no" especially if they're buying junk food.
  13. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,970
    Just food ..... no junk, household cleaners, toiletries, laundry detergent, alcohol, paper goods, Rx or nutritional supplements ...... if done intelligently one could but it would take some planning.