“What People Buy With Food Stamps” - The Washington Post.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Jun 9, 2018.

1. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,582
    I'm probably right in between party lines. I just think its crazy not to expect some reasonable terms when spending money allocated for subsistence and not creature comforts.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    Then I’d suggest getting a Blue Apron program Trump (I think) mentioned a few months ago up and going. However Ive seen how the government runs nutrition. Go to a school. I pack for my kids.
  3. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,875
    Products are all American made.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,875
    You could say the same thing about buying cookies, candy and potato chips. Seriously the money comes from taxpayers. Say there was no program and you took it upon yourself to give your hard earned money to your struggling single mom neighbor with three kids and she comes back with bags of junk, rather than nutritious, food. Would you be upset?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,909
    How much does a mother with two children receive on their EBT card each month?
  6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,063
    One of the reasons that poor people are poor is that they make bad decisions with money. They often value the present moment as much more important as what happens in the future, to the point of ignoring the future until it becomes the present. Then they are out of money, because they spent it in what is now the past. They are psychologically predisposed to spending every last dollar they have, and are almost completely incapable of saving for the future. Witness the lottery winners who are bankrupt within a few years. They have no self-discipline.

Reducing spending on military waste and corruption is fine, if you can find it (and get past the politics involved with base closings, etc.). I have mixed feelings about corporate tax cuts. Tax cuts directed to specific companies as a payoff for buying a Senator should be eliminated, of course. But as a whole, corporations in the U.S. pay a huge percentage of the taxes collected. So much so that until Trump made his tax cuts (from 35% to 21%), the U.S. had the highest corporate tax rate in the industrialized world. That's bad for the economy, and bad for jobs. Simply put, it is encouragement for corporations to offshore jobs. I know democrats simply blame the corporations when that happens, but the truth is that left wing policies all but ensure that it happens.
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    First I think you are oversimplifying being poor. The average American is broke. The average poor person is very broke. About 57% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. Saying poor people are poor because of bad spending habits is not correct.

upload_2018-6-12_23-53-22.jpeg
    Here's how much money Americans have in their savings accounts

Secondly you know the effective tax rate for corporations are nowhere near the rates you quoted.

Thirdly I give you credit for not being snarky. You simply layed out your argument. Wrong but polite.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,702
    And fwiw, nearly 3/4 of the poor are children, working adults, disabled, or elderly. Most people make bad choices, but poverty itself is a trap, it basically provides no choice.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,909
    Since most of the children in families receiving SNAP benefits are on Medicaid, I can see where proper nutrition would help reduce medical expenses, so that would make it a government interest. Limiting processed sugar would be a step in the right direction. I wouldn't stop with SNAP but school lunch programs should be included.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,292
    I’m not paying for your soda or any of your other luxuries. You are, I assume. Buy whatever you want, I say.

Now if suddenly someone passed a law that specified the Taipan had to supplement Citygator’s food budget, then I think it’s fair that Taipan has a say in how you spend my money. I don’t think that makes me an ass, and I would say that if Citygator did not like the chains of our arrangement (and frankly I would not if the arrangement were reversed), then Citygator is encouraged to get off of the Taipan’s supplement as soon as he is physically able.
  12. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    The Citygator in your supposition is 50% likely a kid. I’m not advocating sugar is a base supplement. Just 5% spend on soda, now considered a luxury I guess, isn’t abuse, it’s American. Such a small objection. Go find 5% abuse in military spending. That’ll make a difference in the world.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,291
    Slightly off topic, but I don't know what money in a savings account has to do with being poor?

My wife makes nearly 200k and $0 in a savings account because she puts everything into a mutual fund. I would venture to guess a lot of high and even middle income earners have minimal in their savings because the return is so low, they may as well just keep it in checking so they can access it more easily or put it into stocks or real estate to get a higher return. So I don't think that chart says anything other than most people are smart enough to not put a lot money into savings accounts.
  14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    You'd agree that step one is to have a few bucks in a checking account to cover your expenses, step 2 is to have a few bucks in a liquid savings account for emergencies - especially when you dont make much and are living paycheck to paycheck, and step three is to invest into interest bearing instruments for retirement etc? Point is most Americans cant make it to point #2. 56% have less than $10k for retirement. Yikes.
    1 in 3 Americans Has Saved $0 for Retirement
    [​IMG]

1 in 3 Americans Has Saved $0 for Retirement
  15. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +9,291
    Step 1, sure.

Step 2, no, not if you have a good income, because you're always going to have enough liquidity on hand to handle emergencies, unless you are just a crazy spender.

The point is, having little to no money in a savings account doesn't mean your poor. It might actually mean you're rich or just smart enough to know there are better ways to hold your money.

Step 3, again, there are different ways to save for retirement that your charts aren't accounting for. I own multiple investment properties that I consider to be a large portion of my retirement portfolio. I bet those sort of things aren't included in your 'saved for retirement chart.'
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,690
    Isn't the term "savings account" for step 3 a blanket term to cover any long term investments that are not to be touched for day-to-day operations? That could include savings accounts, investment accounts, equity in long term assets, equity in an on-going business, heck, even cash buried under the mattress or stashed in a safe. Point being is that if step 3 isn't funded, and step 2 is only a month or two operation money, those folks are one disaster or even bump in the road from being flat broke.
  17. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +9,291
    I think you have the step numbers askew, but step 2 specifically says 'savings accounts' and not just 'savings' and it comes from a BankRates survey, so I am taking that to mean actual 'savings accounts' and not just any type of savings.
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,690
    No problem, the concept is the same, the semantics differ but it is no big deal.
  19. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,006
    Saw this #MAGA news reported this morning and was going to give it its own thread, but I saw that @RayGator has one going on the general topic of food stamps, so this is as good a place for it as any:

Food Stamp Enrollment Dips to Lowest Level in 8 Years

Overall enrollment in the nation’s food stamp program has dipped to its lowest level in eight years, according to the latest statistics released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The latest USDA data reveals that enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)—the federal government program that administers food stamps—dropped to 40,083,954 in March 2018.
    Under Trump, 2.2 million fewer people have discontinued their participation in SNAP, mainly due to the Trump administration’s attempts to reform SNAP by controlling program costs at the federal and state levels. The USDA announced in March that it hired an “integrity officer” to bolster the administration’s efforts to prevent fraud in the country’s SNAP program and announced in February the rollout of its “Harvest Box” program to give food stamp recipients a box of food as part of their monthly benefits package.

Trump also released an executive order on welfare reform in April that would require the USDA to issue updated rules for those receiving benefits such as food stamps, and invest in workforce development programs.

The House and Senate are also working on an updated Farm Bill that would include an expansion of workforce-development programs designed to bolster job-training. The House version of the bill includes a provision that would require able-bodied adults ages 18 to 59 who receive food stamp benefits to work, enroll in job training, or look for work under the supervision of a case manager.
  20. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    Want to guess what the trend looked like the 6 years prior before I post it? I’ll give you time to guess.