No. 2 UF women’s tennis impressive in win at Kentucky, 7-0
LEXINGTON, Ky. — The second-ranked University of Florida women’s tennis team got its two-match road swing off to a strong start with its 7-0 shutout against Kentucky at the Boone Tennis Complex on Friday evening.
The victory marked the Gator’s eighth-consecutive win overall and their 21st straight against Southeastern Conference foes, as the team improved to 18-1 this year, including 7-0 in league action.
Florida, which improved to 35-2 against Kentucky (4-15, 2-5 SEC), picked up its first win against the Wildcats in Lexington since a 4-3 thriller in 2007.
The Gators slightly juggled their singles lineup and all courts finished in order of its respective position.
Sophomore Lauren Embree (Marco Island, Fla.) was the first off the court and made her season debut at the No. 1 singles position, a spot she played all of last year, and shined in her 6-4, 6-1 victory against Megan Broderick. The win was Embree’s 15th consecutive, as she improved to 15-0 this season, including a 35-3 career dual match record and a 16-0 dual match mark versus SEC opponents.
Sophomore Allie Will (Boca Raton, Fla.) won her sixth straight singles match, downing Jessica Stiles, 6-3, 6-4. Will moved to 41-2 in her career dual match singles decisions, including a 17-0 record in SEC matches, as her decision on Friday gave Florida a 3-0 lead in the team scoring.
Freshman Sofie Oyen (Leopoldsburg, Belgium) provided the clinching dual match victory as she topped Caitlin McGraw, 6-4, 6-3.
Junior Joanna Mather (Duluth, Ga.) followed with her victory against Khristina Blajkevitch, 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 10-4, before freshman Alex Cercone (Seminole, Fla.) earned her first double-bagel singles victory of her young career, downing Marni Venter, 6-0, 6-0.
Freshman Olivia Janowicz (Palm Bay, Fla.) provided the finishing touches on the sweep, posting a 6-4, 6-2 victory against CeCe Witten, UK 6-4, 6-2, for her 10th consecutive singles win.
Florida was equally impressive on the doubles court, winning all three matches, with the team of Embree and Mather earning their 14th consecutive victory.
The Gators continue their road trip on Sunday, playing at No. 20 Vanderbilt in Nashville.
No. 2 Florida at Kentucky
Boone Tennis Complex * Lexington, Ky.
Friday, April 1, 2011
Final Score: Florida 7, Kentucky 0
1. #16 Alex Cercone/Allie Will, UF d. Megan Broderick/Khristina Blajkevitch, UK, 8-5*
2. Lauren Embree/Joanna Mather, UF d. Caitlin McGraw/Marni Venter, UK, 8-1
3. Olivia Janowicz/Sofie Oyen, UF d. Jessica Stiles/CeCe Witten, UK, 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #33 Lauren Embree, UF d. Megan Broderick, UK, 6-4, 6-1
2. #6 Allie Will, UF d. Jessica Stiles, UK 6-3, 6-4
3. #93 Sofie Oyen, UF d. Caitlin McGraw, UK, 6-4, 6-3*
4. #28 Joanna Mather, UF d. Khristina Blajkevitch, UK 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 10-4
5. #47 Alex Cercone, UF d. Marni Venter, UK 6-0, 6-0
6. #41 Olivia Janowicz, UF d. CeCe Witten, UK 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Records: Florida 18-1, 7-0 SEC; Kentucky 4-15, 2-5 SEC
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Ryeshene Bronson no longer a Gator commit (gator996 @ 09:33 PM)
- Star Trek Into Darkness. (LeafUF @ 09:32 PM)
- The Voice (GatorPrincess8 @ 09:31 PM)
- MAN OF STEEL : Fate of your Planet (LeafUF @ 09:31 PM)
- Scientific evidence why I prefer Softball to Baseball (gatorr4life @ 09:30 PM)
- Chuck Norris writes "The Ultimate Clutch Player" (gatorr4life @ 09:29 PM)
- OFFICIAL: BASEBALL VS. TAMU, Tue 5/21, 5:30 pm Eastern (dadx4 @ 09:26 PM)
- EJ Manual says Bills offense is easier than FSU's (DieAGator @ 09:21 PM)
- Gilly signs deal with Fins (DieAGator @ 09:21 PM)
- Atlanta & Stone Mountain (gatordavisl @ 09:14 PM)