Men’s golf chosen for NCAA regional
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The seventh-ranked University of Florida men’s golf team has been named the third seed in the 2007 East Regional, the NCAA announced Monday. Georgia Tech will host the event from May 17-19 at the Golf Club of Georgia in Alpharetta.
“You’re always excited about the opportunity to play close to home, especially in the postseason,” Florida head coach Buddy Alexander said. “We’re familiar with the golf course and we’ve had some time to fine-tune things, so I can see us going up there and being pretty successful.”
Each regional site will host 27 teams and six individuals, all vying for a spot in the NCAA Championships. The top 10 teams at each regional, as well the top two individuals not on an advancing team, advance to the national championship tournament to be held from May 30-June 2 at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg, Va.
A challenging field awaits the Gators in Alpharetta, as seventh-ranked Florida will square off with eight teams ranked in the top-25 of the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index. The field’s total of nine top-25 teams ties with the West Regional for the top total. Only top-ranked Georgia and No. 11 Clemson, who garnered the first and second seeds, respectively, will be slotted higher than UF at the East Regional.
Seeded one spot below Florida is No. 12 Coastal Carolina, the Big South champion, while the host school and Atlantic Coast Conference co-champion Georgia Tech, the nation’s 10th-ranked team, claimed the fifth seed. Georgia State grabbed the sixth seed at the Alpharetta regional, No. 20 Charlotte, the Atlantic 10 champion, was awarded the seventh slot and 23rd-ranked North Carolina was seeded eighth. No. 25 Florida State and No. 24 Duke round out the top-10 seeds and contingent of ranked teams at the East Regional in the ninth and 10th spots, respectively.
“You play the entire season with the goal of improving to the point where you can beat some really good postseason teams,” Alexander said. “That’s what postseason golf is all about. You have to go out and beat good teams, no matter what region you’re in.”
The East Regional will be the second time Florida has played at the Golf Club of Georgia in little over a month, having seen the course from April 9-11 at the United States Collegiate Championship. Junior Tyler Brown (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.) and sophomore Billy Horschel (Grant, Fla.) shot identical scores of 225 (+9) to earn top-20 finishes for the Gators. Last year, UF tied for first at the NCAA West Regional before bringing home a runner-up finish at the NCAA Championships in Sunriver, Ore.
2007 NCAA East Regional Field (conference automatic qualifiers in parenthesis)
4. Coastal Carolina (Big South Conference)
5. Georgia Tech (Atlantic Coast Conference)
6. Georgia State
7. Charlotte (Atlantic 10 Conference)
8. North Carolina
9. Florida State
13. Chattanooga (Southern Conference)
16. Virginia Tech
17. Penn State
18. Old Dominion (Colonial Athletic Association)
19. Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley Conference)
20. Louisiana-Lafayette (Sun Belt Conference)
21. St. John’s
22. Eastern Michigan (Mid-American Conference)
25. Rhode Island
27. Boston College
1. Duncan Stewart, Jacksonville
2. Fredric Sundberg, Campbell
3. Chris Narramore, Middle Tennessee
4. Matt Cook, Western Carolina
5. Russell Knox, Jacksonville
6. Jeff Dennis, North Florida
Courtesy UF Sports Info.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- I Feel Much Better Now (cummingator @ 01:21 PM)
- Phil Steele Predicts Preseason AP Top 26 (Norcaligator @ 01:18 PM)
- Nooner for Canes game on Sept 7th... (ThePlayer @ 01:18 PM)
- Florida Gators Basketball Season Highlights. (Nick_delaTorre @ 01:17 PM)
- Bracketology (gatorbogey @ 01:17 PM)
- Top 20 "Freaks" in college football (vbmatt @ 01:17 PM)
- WTF???? The Miami game is at Noon???? (Nick_delaTorre @ 01:16 PM)
- The Muschamp stare runs in the family. (Video) (PD @ 01:14 PM)
- JUST IN: 10 Freaks of Florida Football (Nick_delaTorre @ 01:14 PM)
- I luv my momma, but I'll knock (PD @ 01:13 PM)