Golf’s Gal earns All-SEC honors
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - University of Florida junior Sandra Gal (Leichlingen, Germany) earned multiple Southeastern Conference honors on Thursday, as the league office announced her as Co-Scholar-Athlete of Year and a first-team All-SEC selection.
Gal’s Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year nod makes her the first player in program history to win the award. Her selection to the all-conference first team also marks the 14th All-SEC honor by a Lady Gator during head coach Jill Briles-Hinton’s nine-year tenure, and represents the eighth-straight year that a UF player has captured all-league accolades.
On the verge of completing a breakout junior season, Gal played her way to the first first-team All-SEC selection for a Lady Gator since Aimee Cho made the cut in 2004. The highest-ranked SEC player, and fifth-rated player overall, on the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index as of April 22, Gal owns a team-best 72.46 stroke average this season. She has a win at the Lady Gator Invitational and four individual top-five finishes to her credit, and rattled off a streak of 91-consecutive head-to-head wins against SEC players to close out the regular season.
An advertising major with a 3.72 grade-point average, Gal was named to the National Golf Coaches Association All-American Scholar Golf Teams in both 2005 and 2006, while also garnering SEC Academic Honor Roll distinction last season. She shares the Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year honor with Kentucky’s Beth Felts, a junior pre-physical therapy and business management major with a 4.0 GPA.
The seventh-ranked Lady Gators will receive their NCAA Regional assignment on Monday, April 30, at 4 p.m. EST. The regional draw for UF and all Division I women’s golf teams will be posted on http://www.ncaasports.com at the aforementioned date and time.
Courtesy UF Sports Information.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Jarran Reed won't play for UF this year (MadduxFanII @ 04:14 PM)
- Reed wont enroll at Florida (AndrewSpivey @ 04:03 PM)
- Urban Meyer regrets the way his Florida tenure ended (FlyingGatorII @ 04:00 PM)
- 2014 Gator Commitment #9: TE C'yontai Lewis of Northridge High School, Tuscaloosa, AL (GATORAZ @ 03:55 PM)
- Gainesville Super Regional: Game 1 UAB vs Florida (xenythx @ 03:52 PM)
- Game... Three Word Story, you add 3 words to continue (alphaOmegator @ 03:50 PM)
- d1baseball.com (WESGATORS @ 03:44 PM)
- Tipping point for tackle football (WESGATORS @ 03:43 PM)
- PG CHRIS CHIOZZA is a Gator (kygator @ 03:35 PM)
- Pugh set to decide (Gatorryder @ 03:30 PM)