Special report on the Florida Gators lacrosse team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The University of Florida women’s lacrosse team (11-2, 5-0) earned its fifth BIG EAST victory of the season in dominating fashion on Saturday, topping the Cincinnati Bearcats (5-8, 1-4) by a score of 19-2.
The Gators opened the game on a 16-0 run, limiting the Bearcat offense to just two shot attempts in the first half compared to 29 for Florida.
Florida’s defense held Cincinnati to a season-low two goals with standout performances from backup goalkeepers Olivia Cole and Kenzii Kittell. Splitting time in the second half, Cole (six saves, .857 save percentage) and Kittell (five saves, .833 save percentage) each set career-highs in saves and save percentage. Starter Haley Hicklen saved both shots she faced in the first half to earn her 11th victory of the season.
13 Gators scored at least one goal against the Bearcats, including the first career goals for Jillian Alonso, Lexi Bolton, Bridget Knowles, and Jordan Stevens.
Junior midfielder Allie Pavinelli had a career-high four goals on four shot attempts, including converting all three of her free position attempts to lead the Gator offense. Sophomore attacker Lindsey Ronbeck scored a hat trick on a perfect three-for-three outing. Senior attacker Mollie Stevens recorded eight draw controls, and is now just 15 shy of passing Shannon Gilroy (83) for the most in a season at Florida.
Burgess Breaks 200 Career Points
Senior attacker Sammi Burgess recorded the 200th point of her career on Saturday, after scoring her second goal of the game midway through the first half. Burgess became just the fifth Gator all-time to reach the 200-point mark, and is now just three points away from passing Brittany Dashiell (202) for fourth place in Florida history. Burgess finished with four points (two goals, two assists) and one ground ball against Cincinnati.
No. 3 Florida: 11-2 (5-0)
Cincinnati: 5-8 (1-4)
* Senior Caroline Fitzgerald is just four ground balls away from passing Nora Barry (141) for the most all-time at Florida
* Sammi Burgess needs two assists to pass Ashley Bruns (31) for the most assists in a season at UF
* Senior defender Caroline Fitzgerald (78) is right behind current all-time leader and fellow senior Taylor Bresnahan (80) on the all-time caused turnover list
* The Gators have won 16 consecutive BIG EAST games dating back to the 2015 season
* #PirrecaPower: Pirreca sisters Shayna and Sydney have combined to score 28% (60/214) of Florida’s goals this season
* Florida owns a 75-11 (.872) record all-time at Donald R. Dizney Stadium
“We came out with a purpose today, to play a complete 60-minute game, and we accomplished that. It was great to see everyone getting to compete at such a high level. I can’t say enough about our three goalies – they were lights-out. Haley (Hicklen) started us off and made some big saves, OC (Olivia Cole) came in and played phenomenal, and we finished with Kenzii (Kittell), who also made some huge point blank saves. I am so proud of the entire team’s effort today.”
The Gators cap off a two-game home stand on April 12, as the Villanova Wildcats (3-8, 1-3) visit The Diz for a 1 P.M. tilt.