Special Report on the Florida Gators volleyball team
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — A conference high five Florida volleyball players were named All-SEC selections for the 2015 campaign, announced by the league office Wednesday morning. Rhamat Alhassan, Simone Antwi,Mackenzie Dagostino, Alex Holston and Živa Recek were all named to the 18-member 2015 All-SEC team.
All five Gators have now picked up multiple All-SEC honors during their careers donning the Orange and Blue. Florida wrapped up the 2015 SEC schedule Sunday and has compiled a 21-6 overall record, a 13-5 mark in SEC play with its regular-season finale on the horizon Friday in the O’Dome at 3 p.m. against LIU Brooklyn for Senior Day.
Florida ranks No. 1 in the country and SEC in hitting efficiency (.320) and paces the conference in opponent efficiency (.163), assists (13.21/s), kills (14.39/s) and blocks (2.78/s) overall on the season. In SEC play, the Gators are tops in hitting percentage (.315), opponent hitting efficiency (.163) and kills (14.34/s) in the league.
Florida’s five All-SEC honorees are the most of any league team for the third straight year since the league moved to one 18-player All-SEC squad. The Gators have had at least four players named to the All-SEC squad for the 24th straight season.
Following Senior Day against LIU Brooklyn Friday, the Orange and Blue prepare to embark on the program’s 25th straight NCAA Tournament run next week.
- Named All-SEC for the second straight year
- Has ranked No. 1 in the nation in blocks per set since September (1.62)
- Been top-10 in the nation in hitting efficiency since September
- Leads SEC in blocks per set (1.62), first among middles in points per set overall on year (4.05/s), second among middles in efficiency (.428)
- Been UF’s leader on the court in blocking 23 of 27 matches, scores most points per set (4.05 for Gators)
- Her 14 blocks in season-opener were school record and the most of any SEC player in a match this year
- Led nation in hitting efficiency in 2014 (.458)
- Named an All-SEC for the second consecutive year
- Has been in top 25 in NCAA all season in hitting efficiency (high of No. 6) (.388), fifth in SEC among middles
- Had highest hitting efficiency in a single match among SEC players this year (.867 vs. Oregon)
- Has already earned her undergraduate degree in Business Management
- Currently enrolled in her master’s program in International Business
- Voted in to University of Florida Student Government to hold grad chair
- Marks the third straight year UF will have a redshirt senior that has earned her undergrad and master’s degrees during her volleyball eligibility.
- An All-SEC selection for the second straight year
- Top 20 in nation all season in assists (11.59/s), ranks second in SEC in assists per set on season
- Fourth among SEC setters with her nine double-doubles, which lead UF
- Has UF in aces in eight matches, blocks in three matches, ranks second for the Gators this season in digs per set (2.44), has 51 kills (0.55/s) as well
- 2,519 career assists — No. 9 all-time in UF’s record book in the category
- Named All-SEC all three years of her Gator career so far
- Ranks first in SEC play among all right sides/opposites in kills (3.36/s) and points scored (3.90/s)
- Has been consistent leader for Gators — taken most swings on team (766), ranks second in points scored for Florida (3.90/s)
- Has led Florida in kills in over half UF’s matches (13), including six of last eight matches down the stretch
- Hit 1,000 career kills as a junior (1,049)
- Three-time All-SEC selection in her four years as a Gator
- Scores third-most points for Gators (3.27/s)
- Has taken the second-most swings for Florida this season (567)
- Seven double-doubles are second for UF
- Ranks fourth for Gators with 2.33 digs per set as one of UF’s primary passers
- Eclipsed 1,000 career kills (1,135) this season
- Named one of the AVCA’s Coaches 4 Coaches scholarship candidates this season
- 2014 University of Florida Outstanding International Student Awards
2015 ALL-SEC AWARDS | Complete Release
|Player of the Year:||Stephanie Aiple, Texas A&M|
|Libero of the Year:||Ashley Dusek, Kentucky|
|Freshman of the Year:||Alyssa Munlyn, Missouri|
|Scholar-Athlete of the Year:||Stephanie Campbell, Auburn|
|Coach of the Year:||Laurie Corbelli, Texas A&M|
2015 All-SEC Team
|Nakeyta Clair||Ole Miss|
|Stephanie Aiple||Texas A&M|
|Jazzmin Babers||Texas A&M|
|Shelby Sullivan||Texas A&M|
2015 All-Freshman Team
|Kathryn Cather||Ole Miss|
|Aubrey Ezell||South Carolina|
The Gators will wrap up the 2015 regular season against LIU Brooklyn at 3 p.m. Friday for Senior Day. Gator fans with a valid UF vs. FSU football ticket will receive FREE ADMISSION! The 2015 NCAA Selection Show is slated for Nov. 29 at 9 p.m. on ESPNU, where Florida will find out its postseason fate.