Hearns withdraws Florida pledge
With signing day less than two weeks away, the final touches are being put on Florida’s 2013 class with not only new commitments, but with decommitments as well
On Thursday, Florida suffered a hit to its class when Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln linebacker James Hearns told Florida coaches that he will not be a part of the class.
“I’m in the process of qualifying for them (academically) and they didn’t wanna wait,” Hearns said.
Hearns will no longer take his scheduled visit to Florida next weekend.
It is believed that Auburn is in the driver’s seat to land Hearns at this time.
The loss of Hearns still leaves UF with four incoming linebackers, with three — Alex Anzalone, Matt Rolin and Daniel McMillian — already enrolled. The fourth, Jarrad Davis, recently decommited from Auburn and is expected to enroll at Florida in the summer.
The Gators may now look to add former linebacker commitment Quinton Powell of Dayton Beach (Fla.) Mainland to close out their linebacker recruiting.
Gator Country reporter Andrew Spivey contributed to this report.
4 Comments so far
You need to get the story straight. Florida pulled his schollie due to grades. Probably going after Powell.
Yes that’s common knowledge at this point. Hearns himself practically says as much with his quote in the story.
always intersting to me how UF has higher academic standards than other SEC schools. and i’m sure Vandy has higher standards than we do, but I don’t know that for a fact. ideally it would be the same for all SEC schools
It would be be interesting if the academic standards across the SEC were the same, but I feel that some schools and their fans take pride in having tougher admissions than their counterparts. It adds an aura of prestige to the school and football program. Honestly though, I don’t think you would get any backlash from fans (at least in particular UF) until a big-time recruit is turned away due to grades. It hasn’t really affected UF yet. Hearns isn’t that big of a loss.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Columbia (SC) Spring Valley|
|Fort Myers (Fla.) Dunbar|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Saban responds to "devil comments" by UF's Davis. (LimeyGator @ 02:07 AM)
- Ohio State vs FSU, which schedule is easier? (1982Gator @ 01:38 AM)
- Mike Gundy might be 40 but he acts like a child (Wes Lunt) (cpgator @ 01:24 AM)
- 9 year old Girl throws out first pitch at Rays game... (tebowharvin @ 01:23 AM)
- Motivational and Demotivational Posters (Strikepackagegator @ 12:51 AM)
- Florida Lacrosse Set For Showdown with Syracuse in NCAA Quarterfinals on Saturday (1982Gator @ 12:33 AM)
- 5 best football players turned actors (GatorPrincess8 @ 12:08 AM)
- JUST IN: Gators drop game two at Georgia (Solari @ 11:50 PM)
- Recruit Loses Ship For One STUPID Reason! (sleeze @ 11:39 PM)
- JUST IN: Gallery: Florida 7, Hampton 1 (Solari @ 11:30 PM)