This Day In Gator History: Sept. 27
Coach Ray Graves and the Florida “Super Sophs” traveled to Jackson, Miss., to play Mississippi State in a 1969 Southeastern Conference encounter.
The Gators were fresh off the big win over Houston and were out to prove that game was not a fluke and they did it in a big way. Florida ended the game, a 47-35 victory, with nearly 600 yards of total offense including 329 through the air.
Here’s the United Press International report:
JACKSON, Miss. — Sophomore quarterback John Reaves threw three touchdown passes and drove Florida to a 47-35 Southeastern Conference football victory over Mississippi State Saturday night.
The 204-pound passing ace pushed the Gators to three first-quarter touchdowns, but Mississippi Slate stormed back to narrow the gap to four points in the third quarter before losing steam.
Florida’s early two-touchdown advantage proved to be plenty for the winning margin at the end.
Reaves threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to wingback Carlos Alvarez and a 47-yard scoring pass to tailback Tommy Durrance in the first quarter and added a 9-yard touchdown throw to end Paul Maliska in the third. He also threw a pair of two-point conversion passes.
Alavarez was name a consensus All-American following the season while Reaves broke 14 SEC passing and total offense records. Defensive back Steve Tannen was also name to the All-American team.
The Gator roster was filled with players who achieved honors in 1969 as well as seasons to come, such as Jack Youngblood, Kim Helton, Tommy Durrance, Fred Abbott, Bob Harrell, David Peak and Jim Yancey.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
|Northridge (Al.) Tuscaloosa|
|Immokalee (Fla.) High|
|Casper (Wy.) Natrona County|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Muschamp upsetting Sandalwood coach? (Gator_84_88 @ 01:31 AM)
- Spurs v Heat (SECund2nun @ 12:50 AM)
- Aaron Hernandez -- murder suspect? (ThePlayer @ 12:28 AM)
- Florida waiting on appeal for Carter (ThePlayer @ 12:16 AM)
- Draftexpress.com evaluation of Frazier at the USA U19 camp (ThePlayer @ 12:15 AM)
- Top 15 High School Football Dynasties (ThePlayer @ 12:09 AM)
- New England Patriots: Tim Tebow is Helping Team Without Even Stepping on the Field (ThePlayer @ 12:04 AM)
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Homicide investigation (highridge @ 11:46 PM)
- XBox One announcements from yesterday... (sleeze @ 11:35 PM)
- Favorite Player of All Time (NBA)... (gatorr4life @ 11:32 PM)