Friday’s Jump Starts: Cam Newton Part 2
Cam Newton on parade to advance his NFL draft position --- and other assorted goodies
1. I don’t think it was a bad idea for Cam Newton to do his “workout” for the media, even if it did sort of skirt the NFL rules. Odd, though, that the same thing which seemed to plague Tim Tebow has already cropped up in the early reports on Newton: Taking snaps under center. Given that it’s a basic fundamental of every junior high quarterback, can it be that tough to grasp?
2. Don’t want to rain on any Auburn fan’s parade here, and can’t say as I blame the Newton family for the decision to come out, but isn’t that exactly what we all predicted would happen last fall when all the rumblings about Cecil Newton’s shenanigans began to surface?
3. And the final irony is that the guy who played behind Tim Tebow at Florida will no doubt be taken higher in the NFL draft --- maybe even in the Top 10.
4. Some people are surprised that Steve Addazio hired former Gator quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler to be his offensive assistant at Temple because of the fractured relationship alleged on the UF offensive staff. I think there were some issues on the cohesion of the staff between the running game (Addazio) and the passing game (Loeffler), but I never got the idea it was personal.
5. One rumor going around on another site is that Urban Meyer reportedly told a friend over dinner than he’d never coach in the SEC again because of all the illicit activities in some of the programs. I do know that Urban seemed concerned about some of the competitive edges of other SEC schools, but never heard that he’s had hard evidence of other schools cheating.
7. It’s nice that Billy Donovan says quarterback Jacoby Brissett could play at the level needed to compete on the Gator basketball if he “devoted himself full time,” but that’s not going to happen. In fact, don’t look for Brissett to get any encouragement from either Charlie Weis or Will Muschamp to be a “two-sport” star at Florida.
8. I did love the quote attributed to Brissett as reported by the Palm Beach Post about competing against Jeff Driskel: “I’m not moving no positions; I’m a quarterback,” Brissett said. “He’s got to prove to me every day, every year, that he earned that starting spot. He’s just got to show he’s better than me. That’s all it is.”
9. BTW, it appears all is well between Muschamp and Brissett’s mom, who wanted her son to go to Miami because she felt slighted that she’d never met the new Gator coach. It apparently had to do with NCAA regulations which wouldn’t allow Muschamp to revisit Dwyer or its athletes a second time.
10. One of the other sites (Gainesville Sun) started a list of former Gator players who are now coaching in high school, college or pro. This is a partial list. Feel free to add to it. Remember, this is just a work in progress and we will continue to correct it and add to it.
(Updated Friday, Feb. 11)
(Updated again 1 p.m. Friday Feb. 11
Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
Gene Chizik, Auburn
Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills
Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville University
Adrian White, Buffalo Bills assistant
Ike Hilliard, Miami Dolphins assistant
Joe Wickline, Oklahoma St. assistant
Noah Brindise, (former) Washington Redskins, UNLV assistant
Jerry Odom, Jacksonville University assistant
Kim Helton, Alabama-Birmingham assistant
Robert Gillespie, West Virginia assistant
Mike Mularkey, Atlanta Falcons assistant
Jimmy Ray Stephens, Middle Tennessee assistant
Dwanye Dixon, Ohio U. assistant
Brian Schottenheimer, New York Jets assistant
Cheston Blackshear,t New Mexico assistant
John Brantley, Ocala Trinity
Reidel Anthony, Ocala Trinity assistant
Jacquez Green, Tallahassee Lincoln assistant
Wayne Peace, Lakeland Christian
Jack Daniels, Palm Beach Dwyer
Jemalle Cornelius, Fort Meade
Rob Fraiser Manatee High School
Buc Gurley, Lake Mary Prep
Demetrius Jackson, Ft. White High
12 Comments so far
John Hunt was an assistant at New Smyrna Beach last year. Cheston Blackshear is at New Mexico. Ike Hilliard was just hired by the Miami Dolphins.
You probably should link to that G-Sun article you reference, especially given that they are a free ad supported site. (If you do link to it, sorry but I can’t find it).
The difference between Cam and Tim is that Cam has a faster and more compact delivery. Let’s not sound like spilt milk Buddy.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- The next time an FSU fan brags about their athletic program... (bofusgators @ 10:12 AM)
- I guess we can call Larson a transfer now (InstiGATOR1 @ 10:11 AM)
- Recruiting mailbag (gatorconstructor @ 10:10 AM)
- 2014 RB targets (GATORAZ @ 10:09 AM)
- Black Softball Uni would be sweet for football (gatorkarl @ 10:08 AM)
- warchant - jameis winston hype (BigSlick @ 10:07 AM)
- JUST IN: 10 Freaks of Florida Football (fubar1 @ 10:07 AM)
- Scientific evidence why I prefer Softball to Baseball (gator_in_georgia @ 10:05 AM)
- JUST IN: Harrison Named to Preseason Watch List (gatorconstructor @ 10:05 AM)
- This or That? (Part Deux) (Allanon @ 10:04 AM)