Following the first open practice of fall camp and prior to the second scrimmage Will Muschamp met with the media to update the status of his football team. The Gators have gone through 16 practices and will scrimmage for the second time today in The Swamp. Muschamp called the scrimmage “D-Day” and said that reps will begin to narrow as the football team gets closer and closer to kickoff.
- Muschamp said that Matt Jones continues to improve but has not been cleared to practice yet and there is no timetable for him to return. Muschamp said he is “anticipating the news” and he “hopes to get him back sooner than later.”
- Jon Halapio will meet with doctors again in a week. Muschamp hopes to have him cleared by game week.
- Damien Jacobs continues to improve from his patella injury. Jacobs won’t be cleared for next week but should be cleared by game week.
- Octavius Jackson is day-to-day with a shoulder injury.
- Jaylen Watkins is day-to-day with his foot injury, but should be back by Monday.
- Hunter Joyer is out for another 5-7 days.
- Alex McCalister has a shoulder injury and is day-to-day.
- Quinteze Williams is day-to-day with an illness.
- Vernon Hargreaves is out 5-7 days with a shoulder injury. Muschamp said that he would be fine.
- Muschamp said the team would scrimmage today at 11:30 because that is roughly the time they will take the field for their first two football games.
- Muschamp updated the kicking battle saying that Brad Phillips has been cleared following a groin injury and that the team hasn’t made a final decision on who will be the starting kicker.
- Clay Burton took most of the reps last night during the open practice and Muschamp said that Burton’s flexibility of being able to play the “Y” (on-line) and “F” (off-line) positions allows him to be in more packages than some of the other tight ends.
- Muschamp did say that Burton and Westbrook are atop the depth chart as of now.
- Muschamp said that Demarcus Robinson has been consistent throughout camp. So what we say last night is more of the norm than the exception.
- Muschamp praised Tyler Moore for his versatility and said that he can play all five positions on the line. Moore is likely to move back to right tackle when Jon Halapio comes back.
- Muschamp said Moore would be a “huge member of our football team.”
- Muschamp said that Dante Fowler has played defensive end and BUCK.
- Ronald Powell has played BUCK as well as SAM LB.
- Muschamp said the staff would sit down after the scrimmage today, watch film and decide what guys the team is going to move forward with.
- Will Muschamp didn’t seem to be a fan of the “Bash Bros” nickname that Fowler and Jon Bullard have given each other. He definitely wasn’t a fan of their choreographed celebrations.
- Muschamp said that Keanu Neal is really coming on and is projecting to be the fourth safety right now behind Marcus Maye, Cody Riggs and Jabari Gorman.
- Brian Poole is the starter at nickel.
- Muschamp said that Trenton Brown is more comfortable on the right side and will also play in jumbo packages, making the package even more jumbo. (Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitress.)
- Muschamp said that joey Ivie has improved a ton since spring camp. He said Ivie is “night and day” since enrolling.
- Muschamp said that the team has talked about limiting Jeff Driskel’s called running plays this season to cut the chance of injury. It’s a fine line to walk because you don’t want to take away Driskel’s mobility, but you need him healthy and on the field.
- Solomon Patton is having the best camp he has ever had at Florida. Patton has been used as a jet sweep and screen guy since he’s been here but he has really improved as a route runner this offseason.