The Florida Gators held their second scrimmage of fall camp on Friday night and Head Coach Jim McElwain met with the media following the conclusion of what was a spirited practice.
- Junior safety Keanu Neal went down with an undisclosed injury and did not return to practice.
- Jake McGee was held out of the scrimmage with a sore foot.
- Tyler Jordan was injured during the scrimmage. McElwain did not disclose what the injury was.
- Kavaris Harkless sustained an ankle injury.
- Travaris Dorsey should rejoin the team following an injury he sustained a week ago early next week.
- Valdez Showers and Raph Andrades should also be back from their injuries next week as well.
- Jalen Tabor told reporters that Duke Dawson did take part in the scrimmage. Dawson missed the first scrimmage as well.
There is still not enough separation between the two quarterbacks for McElwain to make a decision and on Friday he conceded that it might not be out of the question for both quarterbacks to play in the first game. McElwain detailed how he has handled that situation in the past.
I think we’ve done a couple of series, give the guys a couple of drives, from there. We’ve done it a couple of different ways; we’ve done it by quarters. Sometimes if the other team has a long drive. We’ll see when we get there.”
As far as the performance of the quarterbacks during the scrimmage, both Treon Harris and Will Grier worked with the first team.
Both quarterback’s moved the ones real well. I thought Treon probably moved the twos when he was with them probably a little more effectively. Will probably had a better situational part of the scrum with both units. So those two guys are progressing and you know, no clear separation yet. And that’s okay, that’s all right. They’re competing; they’re working and getting an opportunity to work with some different units.”
McElwain kicked out an unnamed defensive tackle from practice after he committed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. McElwain said that is a practice he has had everywhere he has been and that there is “no place for that on a football team.”
Jalen Tabor, Vernon Hargreaves and Deiondre Porter all had interceptions on Friday night.
Three players suspended
Latroy Pittman, Marcus Maye and Alex McCalister will all be suspended for the opening game against New Mexico State.
“We’ve talked extensively, throughout the week, and people starting moving in on campus, Wednesday I think is when we started to see a bunch of activity. You know, it’s hard, I can’t be there every second to protect them. It’s about making the right choices. And we talked constantly about it, it also is not OK to be a bystander, if someone is acting a fool, get ‘em out of there, right.”