Will Muschamp met with the media on Friday afternoon to discuss the Gators’ progress through five practices and to give a preview of Saturday’s first spring scrimmage.
Muschamp also talked about the injury situation and which young players have stood out so far this spring.
Here’s a quick notebook from the Muschamp media time:
- D.J. Humphries, Max Garcia, and Chaz Green have stood out on the offensive line. Muschamp likes the direction in which they are headed.
- Dante Fowler Jr. is practicing with a purpose every day and has become a good pass rusher.
- Bryan Cox Jr. has pleased the coaching staff and with his development on the outside which has allowed Jonathan Bullard to move inside to create depth.
- Muschamp says Cox plays with an edge and that the game of football is very important to him.
- Andre Debose has been cleared for non-contact practice.
- Marqui Hawkins has been moved to safety to help with the depth at the position.
- Nolan Kelleher will not practice this spring due to a back injury. Kelleher will see a specialist in the next few weeks.
- Duke Dawson and Jalen Tabor are both really good football players who are very physical.
- Muschamp says Dawson is a guy that likes to get his hands on people and use his strength.
- Muschamp says the biggest thing for Tabor is that he has to use his strength to press more instead of playing off of the line.
- The number one goal for Saturday’s scrimmage is execution and being better at technique.
- Debose is very special with the ball in his hands and Muschamp believes they could see a few kickoff returns from him this year.
- Deandre Goolsby has impressed the coaches with what he can do but it’s still too early to tell how much he will be able to help next season.